1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First real project

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,576 Posts
WOW that is lucky!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to try and take off my own head this week and to say I am nervous is an understandment. I have help coming for when the things go back together but will probably be lifting head solo. On a scale of 1-10, one being changing a tire and 10 being so tough newbies shouldn't even think about it, where does this fit in? I obviously have some mechanical skill, but this is where stuff can get very expensive if done wrong.

I am now going to search The Sticky and Cummins Forum for info....just wanted opinions from the people who have done their own head gasket before.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
My wife has threatened to take mine off before...

Just did mine by my lonesome. I followed the sticky and the service manual and was amazed when it fired right up no problem.

You can't lift the head off by yourself - unless you have amazing upper body strength. I used a front end loader.

Its not like rebuilding an engine where you have to pay attention to specs and tolerances. Basically just disassemble and reassemble. There are a few particulars like measuring the head bolts, keeping push rods straight, torque measurements, etc. If you can adjust your own valves you should be able to replace the head gasket.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM

Just read the sticky and I think it would be harder to actually removed your own head then do a head gasket on a 6BT. The fact I have the block on a stand helps a lot as well. This pic is as the motor sits right now.
Attached Thumbnails First real project-ctd-engine-all-done-1st-day-teardown.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM
KRB

Man if you already have it on a stand out of the truck then I'll send my 11 yo daughter over and let her do it for you. Its that easy. Just pay attention to the steps and torques.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM

I think I can firmly say someone else has been in this motor. I had one (almost 2) stripped manifold bolt (at end of manifold thankfully...bye bye bolt head, hello zipcut), there is no gaskets on the LP or the water out manifold. Globs of silcone behind the timing pin...numerous other little things. Once again...very thankfull I took the long road and decided to 'massage' the old girl instead of just dropping it in the 79 and running with it.

I did find this for the VE timing...note the distance between the marks. Is that a normal span? I know nothing about pump timing (yet) and am curious what you all think. Truck ran like a top, started instantly but did have a lot of white smoke whenever idling.
Attached Thumbnails First real project-ctd-engine-ve-pump-timing-mark-alignment.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a reman pump, should be all black if factory. Timing appears to be retarded as well, hence the white smoke.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
KRB

Should probably be pushed in the other direction towards the head.

Be a good time to put studs on the manifold.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SaskAttak

As I started to pull off timing cover to inspect the KDP it literally fell through the gearing (think Plinko in Price is Right), hot the floor when cover removed. See attached pics of condition is was in. Seems to me I am a very lucky man, my father is even more so, as there could have been a serious issue at any time. The damage to the KDP is more then these pics show to.
Yep, you win the lucky prize of the year. that pin has been whacked by the gears at least once by the pictures.

I wasn't so lucky, mine danced on the gears until it went thru the case.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
Looks like a reman pump, should be all black if factory. Timing appears to be retarded as well, hence the white smoke.
Really?? Something had to have happened to this truck at one time. I dropped the tranny cross member and 5 of the bolt/nuts were not factory, telling me that it was removed at one time. My father, prev owner, didn't have any major work done while he had it.

So is a reman quite a bit worse then the factory unit? Retarded you mean the gap should be less between type timing marks?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM

My motor is tore down as much as I dare without my gasket kit in hand. Apparently the Mrs. says the money for the gaskets is not a priority

So I stopped the motor work and moved back onto the chassis. CTD's frame is now complete removed. Have axles up on stands to work on. Both diffs look to be in great shape (bonus as I doubt Mrs would agree to funds for that right now either lol). I attached a few pics of the diffs....what do you guys think??

Next will be tear down of the brakes. Once the brakes are done the '79's frame will be fitted onto the axles. That will be a good day as I will have crested the teardown hump and will be on the building slope. Still lots of work and hours ahead, but this is WAY cheaper then a shrink
Attached Thumbnails First real project-imag1896.jpg   First real project-ctd-front-diff-2-.jpg   First real project-ctd-rear-diff-2-.jpg   First real project-imag1877.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 04:47 AM
KRB

So, any updates?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM

Sorry...been very busy with work the last year lol...life got in the way again! Was also waiting on the shop to have main power feed redone...but it is all good now.

With all the checking of compatibility between these trucks I missed that the 93's frame is 1" wide! Didn't realize it until this week when I went to put the 93's cross-member into the 79's frame...bolted the top part, bottom hung down past the frame. I thought I was installing it wrong, nope, measured the 93 frame and it is at 7", 79 is 6". Just when i get back into this project I hit a wall

So now I am not sure what to do? Suggestions?

Also...I just swung a deal on a 91 W350 CTD..old farm wagon with 268,000km (166,500mi) on it, also has the NV4500 tranny conversion done. It is a single cab longbox dually...thinking of putting my 79 body onto that frame. W350 has a flatdeck on it and the cab is beat from years of hard farm work, bought it for the CTD/tranny, parts and as a reference vehicle for my build.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't use the upper part;s and you will be fine . The body should swap over with no problem's .to the newer Frame .
Old 06-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Think I am just going to abandon the 79 frame and go with the 1 ton chassis now. I still have lots of work on the frame right now to make certain things work. Be almost stupid not to just do a body swap with some heavy PM work and walk away lol.

Quick Reply: First real project