1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Time for a head gasket, what else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Time for a head gasket, what else?

My head gasket is weeping occasionally from the rear passenger side (old thread). On one recent trip hauling cattle it got real hot (250*) but I suspect that was due to letting the anti-freeze level drop a couple inches. Anyhow, I plan to pull the head and R&R.

My question is, what else should be done while I'm that far in AND given the fact I haven't even the money to do this to begin with...

I've read enough to decide that I will buy a head from Cummins. Seems the money is a wash if you figure taking yours to the machine shop etc etc. Plus I can just swap it out with less down time.

I plan on going back with a stock gasket as I think my mods in my sig are modest and don't require anything thicker?

I figure I ought to buy new head bolts to be safe, kill the dowel pin and flush & pressure test the rad while its empty. Maybe go ahead and install a Cummins thermostat too while the fluid is out? What about water pump?

What else SHOULD be done while apart? What else COULD be done if I had a little extra time and some calf money? The motor only has about 175K on it so far. I'm content with the level I'm at and don't plan on bigger sticks and can't afford a better turbo anytime before the kids go to college...

Thanks for your thoughts and perusings,
Old 11-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the KDP (with the excellent kit from Geno's) while the rad was out, and can't imagine trying to do it with less room. I still had to use a mirror to locate the cap screws and get a thin-wall socket on. There was a 1/2" coating of oily crud all over my timing cover and surrounding block area. I also pulled my grill and gouged a ton of debris out of my A/C cooler, along with straightening a few thousand bent fins with the small blade of my trusty Swiss Army knife. That along with a new rad should bring my engine cooling up into the "barely acceptable" level where I could maybe use my A/C occasionally pulling in the hills