1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Electrical (no speedo, grid heater, volt meter)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Update: if you read the thread you’ll see the items I tried but failed. So here is what worked and what I would recommend if anyone has this type or similar wiring malfunctions with their 1st gen. Gut all the fusible links and route them to a fuse block. The biggest problem is these things being probed all the time because of people having problems. Those holes cause corrosion under the sheathing causing poor connections. I’ve researched this extensively, the best fuse block I found (because it has the amp capacity) is:
• SAFETYHUB 150 FUSE BLOCK. It comes from Blue Sea Systems and is for Marine applications. It’s water proof and has 4: 30-200amp AMI/MIDI circuits and 6: 1-40amp AMO “blade” circuits. Don’t buy direct, I found it online for $80.
This block allows you to reroute all fused links to this block and leaves you extra circuites for future stuff (lights, amp, compressor etc.) I cut the 6ga wire that comes from the battery feeding the 5 wires with fusible links and used it as primary power. Then cut the fusible links out one at a time, soldered extended wires to them and connected fuse panel with rated fuse. To do this you’ll need to unloom the whole harness. May seem daunting but it’s not too terrible once you get after it. I’m converting my truck to a 5spd so this was an opportune time for me as I had to relocate the wiring harness on the firewall 8” toward the driver fender. I put it high and tight in the corner to make room for the slave cylinder. Once everything was back together everything works perfect. My charging needle no longer “pulses” either. I even got the halo light around the ignition working. Also, the fuse block I used will need to be mounted to the top of the inner fender. It’s too big for side mount. I made a plate with “feet” attached to it so it sites level on top of the fender. Actually makes it much more accessible. I’ve attached some photos of the the product and the end result. “I read it on the internet, so it must be true”.... this is the internet. Whether this is true or not, you decide. Thanks for the input and pointers, although this proves to me, that each situation is unique of itself.

All wrapped up and complete.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dstines:
edwinsmith (05-25-2019), nonrev (05-20-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
+1 on fusible links.

Had the same problems, got rid of my fusible links ratnest and swapped for a fuse box install. No more problems.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (05-26-2019)