1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Dump valve for boost??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dump valve for boost??????

Ok here is the story. I asked a mechanic,throught the guy at the parts counter, about the boost on the ole 92. The mechanic said I could install a valve of some sort into the boost line to make the thing think it needs more boost. This is supposed to increase boost. Didn't talk to the mechanic face to face nor did I get into details with the parts guy.
Have you guy's heard of this? Does it work if so how do you do it?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 02:30 PM

Re:Dump valve for boost??????

Hey Gary this is off your topic but I was reading a post where the guy cleaned his injecters and got more boost too...

Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

This applies if you have a waste-gated exhaust housing. With a waste gate you can install a valve to bleed off some of the pressure in the control line from the compressor housing to the waste gate actuator that will make the gate open at a higher pressure. I believe that you still have the stock housing, so there is no waste-gate, and no control line to vent. The only way for you to raise your manifold pressure is to change exhaust housings (or raise your EGT's by turning up the fuel, but I don't think that was the point in this case).

I hope this made sense,

Alec
Old 08-04-2003, 02:57 PM

Yep, he must have thought I had a newer truck. I guess it "ain't" gonna work on this ole Dodge.

Thanks for straighten me out
Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 AM

Gary,
If you haven't cleaned your injectors, it can make a difference. When I was changing mine last weekend, they were so carboned up I could not see the fuel ports on most of them. A simple wire bruching to remove carbon buildup couldn't hurt (I don't think?). You would need new injector seals, banjo seals and water seals. I could send you all the part #s if you wanted them.

Carl
Old 08-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

It sounds like the item he refers to is a "boost fooler".
It is used on the newer trucks. The new ones will "throw a code" if you run boost beyond a certain level and usually result in some hassle or even warranty voiding if they find tampering to increase boost levels.
It isn't the wastegate function you're looking at though...
By using the "fooler" you can trick the computer into thinking boost is at or just below programmed limits, while in fact it can be much higher.

A wastegate is used primarily to vent 'excess' boost, not build more. You can increase your boost levels by adjusting the wastegate tension, but then you can increase it even more by removing or disconnecting the thing entirely..

Does that help??

Bob.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:16 AM

Thanks guy's

Carl, I may go that way but for now I'm gonna try workin the pump a bit. I turned up the power adj. one turn last night and she ran much better although the egt's were much higher. I am goin into the diaphram in a few minutes. I guess the way to go is to set it first then adjust the power adjustment. I have been using injector cleaner and lube for a while now. My next step (I think) is a exhaust housing. I have the 21. I think that will bring my egt's down with more fuel.

Bob

Yep it does. Does it make sense for me to go with a wastegate housing for my '92? Are they that much more exp? If I went to a 14cm would it deliver more air lower egt and higher boost? I need the power for pullin a 12k trailer. I don't want dangerious egt's.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You didn't ask me, but...

I think since you're pulling a heavy trailer, you should go with the 16 cm non wastegated housing. It will make a dramatic difference in the way the truck runs, but not be too restrictive under a heavy load. As an added bonus, it's a straight bolt in, no downpipe mods required.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:24 AM

Thanks I need all the help I can get. I think I am goin with the 16. My egt's are to high not to. I need the power despratly so I guess the only was to go is the 16.

Hey anything you can think of let me know. Like I said I need all the help I can get and willin to learn.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I have to agree regarding the 16cm... now if you went with a
'gated 14cm you'd be fine, but the thing is we have to fiddle with stuff and soon it would be cranked up to give you more boost and on it goes...pick the 16 and work your fueling/timing to suit that.
For each size DOWN in housing size you go, you should have roughly 2-3psi more boost, assuming you don't change anything else..

You'll certainly see a diff with the 16 though... you should grab an extra 5-6 psi in boost and find it runs a bit cooler at the lower/mid range as well.

Bob.