1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Duall Wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duall Wheels??

Hi Gents, does anyone know if duall wheels will fit on a D250 with out major mods and/or problems? Any info. would help.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:46 AM

I am just guessing here, so this is my 1 cent worth... I think you would need to replace your hubs with dually hubs. Also I think on of the back wheel bearings is different. I think (but don't know for sure) that the dually and srw axles are the same so that would be all that you'd need to do.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, it depends on WHAT dually axle you're referring to. I ordered my single wheel W350 with single rear wheels and later changed it to dualies. The rear axle used on single wheel pickups is narrower than that used on dually pickups, and you'll need a spacer to set the wheels/tires away from the leaf springs so they don't rub. The dually axle used on a cab and chassis isn't as wide as the one they put under a dually pickup. (either that, or they use a different hub assembly)

There are kits available that will convert a single axle pickup to a dually using spacers behind the wheel on the hub. (http://www.arrowcraft.com/) These are ok, but in my opinion, they space out the wheel TOO far as they're about 3" thick. I assume they do this so the tires won't hit the fender-wells of a pickup box, but not having a pickup box, I didn't want to go that wide.

I made my own spacers using 3/4" plate. This got the wheels away from springs without getting the wheels out too far. I also had to change the lug bolts to the next biggest size up, and they had to be longer to accomodate the thickness of the spacer, but that was neither costly or difficult to do. The most amount of money was spent on the rims themselves.

Because the hub centers the wheel, you'll want to make sure you get new rims that fit snuggly over the hub too, or the wheels won't ride 'true', making the truck feel like it's going over bumps all the time and I'd imagine making awful vibrations at high speed.

Hope this helps.

chaikwa.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the info, I beleive ya'll have set me in the right direction.