Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Dual Disc problems (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/dual-disc-problems-261678/)

rbrettctd 01-14-2010 04:41 PM

Dual Disc problems

Havent had time lately so I dropped off my truck to have my SB DD clutch installed. Installer just called and said there were some problems. He said the clutch fork is wrong, that its for the NV4500...I thought these were the same? He said it would NOT work tho. Also said that the starter shims that come with it will only allow 2 bolts on the starter to be used, and that its a tight fit. Can someone tell what is wrong or what I need? This clutch was built by Peter specifically for a Getrag. Thanks.

CONFEDERATESON 01-14-2010 04:49 PM

not to be smart but you might want to call up peter and see what he says... it could be that they shipped the right clutch but rong fork and shim?

rbrettctd 01-14-2010 04:52 PM

Ya just hoping for some help cuz its after hours for Peter now and the shop needs to know first thing in the morning. Anyone know what time southbend opens?

SOOT4BRAINS 01-14-2010 08:16 PM

I spoke with Peter about the same issue with the starter spacer. I just drilled the one hole out a little bit. He is aware that it is just off a hair. As for the fork, if its hitting the back of the pressure plate, its because the bellhousing is just a wee bit small for such a monster clutch[duhhh][duhhh]. There may be a washer under the pivot ball where it threads into the bellhousing, remove it and it may let it clear. Mine clears with less than an 1/8 inch with the washer removed. Have also heard of guys bending the fork or cutting and welding it to put a kink in it where its close to the pressure plate. If mine had not cleared I would have had the boss for the pivot fork machined down a little to give it a little more clearance. Can always add washers later. Good luck!

Aaron

roxxx 01-14-2010 10:38 PM

The paper in the packet states if using dual disk NOT to use spacer Due to clearance issues

Alwaysworking 01-15-2010 12:43 AM

i used the stater spacer and had no issues, all the bolts went in fine, and you use the stock release fork.

side note for you, stock 3rd gen hydros will fit in the 1st gen mounts the pedal will be up higher and you have to tie in the master cylinder. it works really well.

CONFEDERATESON 01-15-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking (Post 2678058)
i used the stater spacer and had no issues, all the bolts went in fine, and you use the stock release fork.

side note for you, stock 3rd gen hydros will fit in the 1st gen mounts the pedal will be up higher and you have to tie in the master cylinder. it works really well.

do you need to upgrade to the third gen master cylinder or can you keep the first gen one?

ofcmarc 01-15-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking (Post 2678058)

any pics / specs on this? Are the 3rd gen hydraulics an improvement?

Alwaysworking 01-15-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CONFEDERATESON (Post 2678176)
do you need to upgrade to the third gen master cylinder or can you keep the first gen one?

I ran a complete sealed unit off an '05 bolted right in.

Alwaysworking 01-15-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc (Post 2678211)
any pics / specs on this? Are the 3rd gen hydraulics an improvement?

if you count that the stocker didn't work at all i'd say so. it is easier to push then my stock truck hydros.

SOOT4BRAINS 01-15-2010 11:52 AM

According to Peter the 1st gen hydors are very stout and there is no need to upgrade them, but if 3rd gen ones fit and its cheaper thats the way to go. Stock hydros for 1st gen are about $250 at the dealer. I just put new stock set in mine and it was a good improvement. Old ones were just plain worn out.

rbrettctd 01-15-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Peter told me the same thing this morning, just to woller out the holes and put the stock fork in. Should be together soon.

As for the hydraulics, I too bought stock 1st gen setup when i swapped to manual 15k miles ago, so they are good. And Ive heard of a few 3rd gen guys swapping to 2nd gen hydraulics for better pressure , but that could be just rumor...

jimbo486 01-15-2010 02:37 PM

that maybe depends on a heavier pressure plate load.