1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Driver side window fell out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Driver side window fell out

Well, fell down really,
This morning my window glass separated from the narrow metal channel at the top of the window regulator that holds the glass in place when I tried to run it down so I could spit Copenhagen on the Prius behind me (got 'em in case you're wondering). The glass fell down into the door pretty hard but didn't break. Cold ride in to work (31*F). Pleasant ride home (59*F).
I pulled the plastic stuff off of the door when I got home and reset the glass onto the regulator. I ran it up and down a couple of times and it promptly fell off again.
It looks like there use to be some thick double sided tape or weatherstripping between the glass and the metal channel to keep them married.
Any of y'all have experience with this or have any advice for what I should use to connect the glass to the regulator?

-Niemand
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
Well, fell down really,
This morning my window glass separated from the narrow metal channel at the top of the window regulator that holds the glass in place when I tried to run it down so I could spit Copenhagen on the Prius behind me (got 'em in case you're wondering). The glass fell down into the door pretty hard but didn't break. Cold ride in to work (31*F). Pleasant ride home (59*F).
I pulled the plastic stuff off of the door when I got home and reset the glass onto the regulator. I ran it up and down a couple of times and it promptly fell off again.
It looks like there use to be some thick double sided tape or weatherstripping between the glass and the metal channel to keep them married.
Any of y'all have experience with this or have any advice for what I should use to connect the glass to the regulator?

-Niemand
Yes.

I used a bead of adhesive sealant in the channel, set the glass in the channel, let it cure, then put the assembly back into the door. No problems since.

I used a clear sealant, such as this:

Amazon Amazon

or this too. I buy this stuff by the case, and use it on almost every job I do.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
N. Besonderes (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
What about the Black goop that windshield installers use for surface mount windows?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:30 AM

Thanks.
I think that's going to work out better for me than trying to re-tape it since that channel is so tight to start with.

-Niemand
Old 12-11-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I forget what that stuff is called. We used to have a roll of it at the dealership years ago. We would soak it gasoline and then press the window into it. It was a PITA and super messy. If you can use something else I would certainly try it. I hated doing that job.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Hey Johnny, was it butyl "putty" tape, or does that not ring a bell?

FWIW I think GEOFlex is pretty comparable to what T recommended, if that happens to be readily available. I have also had good luck with Lexel in similar applications.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I think it is called Butyl tape and you should have a glass shop install the window properly. I have had bad luck with trying to do it myself over the years....if the adhesive is to tough and the window is not lined up properly it will put stress on it and it can shatter for no reason....yup been there. Also if the adhesive is too weak the glass will eventually pull clear of the channel again and could drop into the door and break....been there as well. After sucking it up and having a glass shop install it properly I have never had an issue since.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec

FWIW I think GEOFlex is pretty comparable to what T recommended, if that happens to be readily available. I have also had good luck with Lexel in similar applications.
​​​​​​​Honestly it's been so long since I've had to use it I don't remember. Newer vehicles don't use it any more.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I think it is called Butyl tape and you should have a glass shop install the window properly. I have had bad luck with trying to do it myself over the years....if the adhesive is to tough and the window is not lined up properly it will put stress on it and it can shatter for no reason....yup been there. Also if the adhesive is too weak the glass will eventually pull clear of the channel again and could drop into the door and break....been there as well. After sucking it up and having a glass shop install it properly I have never had an issue since.
That sounds like good advice.
Maybe I can hack it myself for now, just to get it operational again, and then take it to a shop later when I can leave it with them. It's my only means of conveyance right now.
I would kind of like to clean up the metal parts of the regulators and paint them first though.
I'll have to think about this.

Thanks for all the helpful advice,
-Niemand
Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Old 12-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec

The sealant that allows "movement", as said by TC, is why I chose the SolarSeal. I've installed that stuff on houses, went back years later, and it's still malleable. You can mold it into shapes like silly putty, years later. I've recently switched all my applications (almost) to the Lexel, simply because it's perfectly "clear", and it's able to be applied to moist surfaces. Solar seal won't stick to wet / moist / green cement or concrete.

I did that window (driver side) about 6 years ago. So far,so good.

Any glass shop should have that strip stuff AJ is talking about. It's a butyl sealant