Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Draft Tube Help!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/draft-tube-help-264303/)

ebteckx 02-18-2010 10:17 PM

Draft Tube Help!!

Okay guys, I am in need of your expertise once again. I am getting a horrible exhaust/oil/fuel smell in the truck and what seems like to me excessive vapor from the draft tube. My oil is now starting to thin out from fuel as well but it is not getting overly full. I dont have a miss, or a hard start or anything like that just a wicked smell in the truck. Its starting my make me sick to my stomach to drive it and I dont have my back up vehicle at the moment. I know the distributive head leaks a bit and the full load screw is turned in maybe 1 1/2 to 2 turns in from stock but this is getting progressively worse now for about a month. No excessive mile on the oil changes. Fixed fuel heater leak. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance

jimbo486 02-18-2010 11:40 PM

are you talking about the blowby tube?

ebteckx 02-18-2010 11:43 PM

yes... and now that I think about it more... I just put a new lift pump on, and even thought its new I have had gasser pumps seep right out of the box...

jimbo486 02-18-2010 11:52 PM

stock diaphragm or piston LP?

hounddogks76 02-19-2010 08:22 AM

It's either the pump, or you have a leaky injector?

ebteckx 02-19-2010 09:41 AM

stock diaphragm pump, new a couple months ago. i thought about the injectors as well but I dont have a hard start or a misfire and the truck still runs real strong.

jimbo486 02-19-2010 05:01 PM

even though the lift pump is only a couple of months old, the diaphragm could very well be torn. other than the front seal of the injection pump, that's the only way i can see fuel ending up in the oil pan. that's also why the low pressure piston LP is always recommended when purchasing a new one. no diaphragm there to worry about tearing inside ;)

ebteckx 02-19-2010 05:26 PM

I actually have the lp lift pump, I just havent had the time to install it!!

hounddogks76 02-19-2010 05:41 PM

Is the lp piston pump a direct replacement or is modification required?

wannadiesel 02-19-2010 06:05 PM

You can take the oil fill tube off and pump the primer lever on the lift pump to check the front pump seal. You will see fuel running down behind the pump gear.

ebteckx 02-21-2010 08:32 PM

Well it was the lift pump. Mine was still under warranty so it paid for the oil change and wiper blades. Its only a couple months old but I had two of em do that on my valiant. Time to collect the fittings from the sticky for the piston pump

Boatnik 02-22-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by hounddogks76 (Post 2706605)
Is the lp piston pump a direct replacement or is modification required?

Yes and yes. It is a direct replacement IF you buy all the stuff listed in the "sticky". Yes, you will need to do some small modification to the insulation on the tappet cover to clear the outlet line. A sharp knife is what I used to cut away the insulation. Check out the tech section. This is a very popular mod. Now appologize for hijacking this thread.[laugh]

hounddogks76 02-22-2010 07:32 PM

I'll check it out..thanks