1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

did the pump die??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did the pump die??

<br>ok...it is 0* outside...i didnt plug the truck in....i cycled the heater twice...it started....ran like crap for a bit....and then died...and cant get it started......it turns over and everything but is acting like it isnt getting fuel....it is a 90 3/4 ...it has winterized fuel...i dont have guages so i cant tell you much more...any ideas??<br><br>
Old 02-24-2003, 11:46 AM

Re:did the pump die??

I have had winter fuel gell up at 0 degrees. You may need to warm her up a bit.<br><br>
Old 02-24-2003, 11:51 AM

she definitely was smokin and shakin when it WAS running...i have it plugged in right now.....doubt it will help but we will see
Old 02-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinkin it has gelled off in the tank or the line from the tank. You had enough fuel in the filter and lift pump to run for a bit and the fuel heater in the filter probably helped out with that. <br><br>If you can get some fuel conditioner, I'd try that.. If it is gelled in the line, plugging it in won't help..<br><br>J-eh
Old 02-24-2003, 02:37 PM

ok...changed the filter...the one that i took off was not gelled tho....still changed it anyways..primed the crap out of it and still nothing..i also added additive to the fuel just in case...this is going on about 5hrs that it has been plugged in..an 1hr with the additive and new filter...i am leanin more towards the pump...any other suggestions??
Old 02-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Chapter President

So with the bleed screw open on the top of the filter you get fuel when you pump???.<br><br>J-eh
Old 02-24-2003, 03:33 PM

yes
Old 02-24-2003, 03:53 PM

Make sure your fuel solenoid is working or the wire has not come off. I doubt that's it, but worth checking. I would also crack a injector line and see if you are getting any fuel out of the pump. Bill
Old 02-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Are you sure that you are getting fast enough crank speed to start the engine? If you don't get it spinning fast enough, it won't start.<br><br>It is possible that the one or more of the grid heaters are fried -- that would help explain why it ran so poorly when you did get it started the first time. However, if the block heater is working, it should eventually get warm enough to start without the grids.<br><br>And last but not least, I have been &quot;fooled&quot; by gelling before -- thinking I had flowing fuel when I didn't.<br><br>Good luck! I doubt the pump is fried . . .<br><br>Alec
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 PM

it was the KSB boys....the wire was loose and full of junk...ahhh...the many lessons we learn.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:21 PM

That will do it everytime if it is extremely cold. No extra pressure to help with the cold thick fuel. Glad you got it going. Bill
Old 02-25-2003, 02:15 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I knew it, I knew it... I posted that in your question on the other site.<br>The reason is I had similar problems at -50*F..... darn ugly... sounded like ballpeens at dawn... nasty....<br><br>Glad you got it running, now, double check the all the elect. connections on the heaters, relays blocks, fuel solenoid, and the KSB again. Use dielectric grease on them and make them tight.<br><br>Bonus !!!!<br><br>Bob.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:37 AM

Sorry guys. KSB?? What's that again??
Old 02-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Chapter President

Its the cold start solenoid on the side of the injection pump. Under cold conditions the sensor in the intake manifold engages the solenoid to advance the timing and up the injection pressure for less smoke and better starts. <br><br>The electrical connections to this solenoid are a sore spot and corrode quite often. The idea for dielectric grease is a good one.<br><br>J-eh
Old 02-25-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

The KSB (which stands for cold starting aid in German) advances the timing by raising pressure in the gallery that controls the position of the rollers that the pump cam rides on. It does not affect injection pressure.<br><br>Trucks with the P pump do not have variable timing -- so while it does make for a smoother less smokey cold idle, I am surprised that its malfunction was enough to keep the truck from starting.<br><br>I'm glad that everything turned out well, though, without an expensive fix!<br><br>Alec

Quick Reply: did the pump die??