1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HTT stage III installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool HTT stage III installed

Got my adaper from stylinmotors.com this afternoon, so I was able to bolt everything together. I'm using my extremely hogged out 12cm housing. Spool is a fair bit slower around town, but man that wheel is huge compared to the baby H1C wheel! The housing itself has to have twice the internal volume, too. I had to cut and grind away at that stupid crossover pipe forever, and it still doesn't line up as well as I'd like...guess I'll get on fabbing that crossover sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, the Turbo Master boost controller has no place on my truck now. I really need a standard wastegate actuator with an inline boost control. Oh well. On to the good stuff...I'm still giggling from the sound This thing is louder at 8psi than the original was at 40+! Oh, what a sweet, sweet sound. And all that nice, cool air: My test hill is about 3 miles of 4-5% grade. Running steady at 65 with the old setup would produce 20-ish psi and I'd hover around 875 pre turbo. If I rolled into it, temps would rise quickly, and I likely could only hold 80 if I wanted to cruise at 1150 degrees. Fast forward to this afternoon. I hit the bottom of the hill at 65 and boost settled out lower that the old turo---about 16psi. Temps hovered around 750---much lower than before I rolled into it pretty good and was holding 85 at just shy of 900 with no hint of the pyro climbing---this was about 22psi, where I would have been well over 30 before. I've only got a few miles on it, but so far, I'm thrilled with the performance (and the sound). I'll fuss with the Turbo Master some tomorrow---I whacked it at 1400 in 4th and about broke the needle on my 40psi gauge , but I had the TM cranked right up for towing my fiver the other day, so I can make some room. So that's my story, for now. Powerstroke intercooler/water meth/12mm studs are starting to fill the bench---hope to make the Fall Brawl and let the ol '89 give the dyno a rip
Old 04-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Time to update your sig. I just bought this inline boost controller for mine but I don't have time to experiment now. I'm also thinking I need to fab a new larger crossover pipe for my WH1C. As it is I had to grind a fair bit off the end of the comp housing to get it to fit. I also ground off the v-band flange so I could clamp a hose boot on it.

DO you have pics yet. Mine are in my gallery.

Edwin
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Sig updated I'll snap some pics soon. It's nothing to look at, but the stylinmotors super-duper 4-ply uranium enriched adapter (in ''stylin' black ) worked out nicely. I've got my 'airflo' intake on the way, so I hacked the original intake up for now and clamped the BHAF to it. Puts the air filter right in the path of air coming off the radiator
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your making me jealous seeing how im severly under aired.
Hopefully I'll throw twins on this year and skip the whole better single part.

I thought you had a htt stage 3 long ago?

Sounds like your gonna be having alot more fun now!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was debating on getting one of these as you can see in my sig... So basically its laggier but it helps keep things cool. If im understanding right . So in your opinion G1625S, Would it be worth it for me.. or would it be too laggy for my tastes. I'm not running extremely hot right now and I hardly ever pull anything. I basically like to hot rod and blow some black smoke. Should I just go for Stage 2 maybe since I only have the 50mm wheel? Sorry for rambling on, im just interested in if this will make the old super dodge really go
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 AM

It's not laggier by much, but enough to make it worth mentioning. Plus, I have the divider completely cut out of my 12cm, which hurts its notoriously fast spoolup in favor of a bit beter flow up top. The quality of the charge air is so much better, that there simply is no comparison. It doesn't feel like it pulls as hard because boost comes up slower and the power comes on more smoothly, but unlike the original setup, where it would fly to 30psi and the power would plateau and just start to get hot, now it really has a freight train effect---especially in the top two gears. I buried my speedometer a few times yesterday without even noticing. Bottom line? I would have gone without fuel for two weeks to have this setup months ago, and I see it as an absolute must for us non I/C guys. I would have gone stage IV, but I simply didn't have the extra cash by the time I ordered all the intake accessories from www.airflo.com. My plan is to score a new BHT3B and use the hybrid as the secondary charger in the future, so the 60mm compressor will be plenty big enough. Just get one when you can afford it---you will not be disappointed!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to hear it's working well for you, Greg. Are you still running the stock injectors?

That turbo is a WH1C/E now.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I'm still on the stock sticks. I'm beginning to understand where drivepressure becomes an issue now...the original turbo didn't push enough volume to overwhelm the 12cm, but I've sure got volume now! Did you notice boost spikes with the TM controller? It'll jump up and then settle in, no matter where I set it. Either way, I have yet to use more than 1/2 to 2/3 throttle and it's still twice the truck it was. CowboyCustoms took a spin with me today, and I think he was diggin the ol girl. Not too shabby for a tractor with a license plate
Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't remember it spiking. I had a lot of spiking with an air bleed on a stock actuator, which is why I bought a ball and spring type controller.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 PM

I probably have a boost leak in my stupid crossover pipe setup I'll have to re-think that over the weekend.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:25 PM

HEHEHE, oh yeah, I was diggin it alright! Inside the cab, just like ya said it sounds like a Jet taking off! After that ride I just about immediatly put my D60 on Ebay to get me a nice new stage 4 Jet plane! Im lovin the fact that free revin it, it got 10 PSI! betchya I'll finish off that IC boot if I dont replace it before hand!! hehehehe
Old 04-22-2006, 02:25 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
did you get the stage three or the high flow stage 4 6 bladed inducer? Does it really sound like a jet on takeoff spooling up? I have GOT to get myself one of those...
Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 AM

I couldn't afford the stage IV The extra coin it would have cost had to go to www.airflo.com for the necessary intake plumbing, since my old compressor only had a 3'' inlet. This will be the secondary in a set of compounds in the future, so I probably could have gotten away with the stage II. It really does sound awesome. I've never even ridden in a truck with a missing silencer ring, so I had no idea what I was missing for so long
Old 04-22-2006, 03:03 PM

As an update, I pulled a bunch of timing out over at JR's today. I've been compensating for my crappy turbo by running waaaayyy too much timing. Now I'm closer to a 1/4'' bump and I'm even happier yet. It definitely helped with the lag factor, and I generally shift at 2600, so the top end punch all that timing provided really goes to waste with my driving style anyway. I guess when it comes to timing, too much of a good thing is a bad thing
Old 04-24-2006, 02:52 PM

good to hear the lil tweeking did the trick for ya! Im really liking my handy dandy new 3200 spring, I dont think my suspension does at 95MPH on Stratmill road though, or my u-joints, or rear. I had to let off, I thought I was going to break something like a u-joint, or something in the rear. stupid bumps anyway!