Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Dana 70 rear axle seal part number (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/dana-70-rear-axle-seal-part-number-325890/)

maybe368 08-19-2016 01:24 PM

Dana 70 rear axle seal part number

Hi guys, my rear axle seals are leaking and I am having a little problem finding the correct seals and a thread that I know has the numbers. I went to rock auto and they don't even list a dana 70, any help would be great, Thanks Mark P.S. And a shout out to Oliver Foster for being a great resource for hard to find parts for these trucks, Thanks a million Oliver :thumbsup::thumbsup:

maybe368 08-19-2016 01:36 PM

Are the seals for the 60 the same as for the 70? I cannot find anything about the 70, thanks ...Mark Would the 9,25" heavy duty axle be the 70?

twostep 08-19-2016 02:05 PM

First, what seals are you asking about? the hub seal? If so, no they are not the same. I had the same issue as you and finally took mine to a parts house and looked until we found the right one. The online places always gave the part number for the 60.

Vatozone Duralast 455086

thrashingcows 08-19-2016 03:43 PM

I've never had any issue finding the hub seals for the Dana 70. Always just got them off Rockauto...I found it listed right away.

SKF 24917 Grease Seal Info One of our most popular parts
FitsFront; Spicer 44 w/ 3,500 lb Axle
OrRear; Spicer 60 & 70 Axles w/ 12" X 2.5" Brakes (Only 4 Remaining)

maybe368 08-19-2016 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows (Post 3310060)
I've never had any issue finding the hub seals for the Dana 70. Always just got them off Rockauto...I found it listed right away.

Thanks for the number. I am getting different results on rockauto for some reason, there is not 1 listing for dana 70. When I search the part number I get all kinds of results, when I search "dana 70 wheel seal" I get nothing, Thanks guys...Mark

oliver foster 08-19-2016 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3310050)
P.S. And a shout out to Oliver Foster for being a great resource for hard to find parts for these trucks, Thanks a million Oliver :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like that E-brake assembly showed up in AZ..
Thanks for the thumbs up and glad to help!

NJTman 08-19-2016 08:36 PM

I had problems with 2 different listings for seals for my 92. Bought the wrong ones and they leaked almost immediately. Bought the other number, and I've been good since. The two sizes differ minimally. Od is the same. Id vary slightly.
My truck needed the slightly larger size. Even though both fit the spindle, the smaller size heats up and fails, popping out the little spring.

I have the part on the shelf in the garage. I'll post it In a little bit once it stops raining. Wicked witch of the East will melt away if I get rained on
99% sure it's
Timken # 417158

The other number 455086 fits, but is too tight on the spindle

twostep 08-19-2016 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3310077)
I had problems with 2 different listings for seals for my 92. Bought the wrong ones and they leaked almost immediately. Bought the other number, and I've been good since. The two sizes differ minimally. Od is the same. Id vary slightly.
My truck needed the slightly larger size. Even though both fit the spindle, the smaller size heats up and fails, popping out the little spring.

I have the part on the shelf in the garage. I'll post it In a little bit once it stops raining. Wicked witch of the East will melt away if I get rained on
99% sure it's
Timken # 417158

hmm... I've got put a couple thousand miles on mine since I rebuilt my dually rear. I'll have to take a look to see if there are any issues. Thanks for the extra info.

NJTman 08-19-2016 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by twostep (Post 3310082)
hmm... I've got put a couple thousand miles on mine since I rebuilt my dually rear. I'll have to take a look to see if there are any issues. Thanks for the extra info.

Not 100% sure, but the idea that two numbers exist leads me to believe that production differences caused this to be. Notations for rgwv show under or over. 9000 lbs axle weight capacity Dictate the seal used. My rear axle was replaced at one point by the p.o. this is why I had problems with the seals. It was necessary for me to buy both seals, and test fit them dry to determine the correct seal number., once I had both seal numbers, their specs off Timken website, and the drum off, I figured my truck out. The seal that I used, which leaked, was too tight on the spindle. The other number was my correct seal for my axle

Alec 08-20-2016 08:36 AM

The Dual wheel hubs and Single wheel hubs use different seals, just to be clear.

The few different single wheel hubs I have worked on all used the 417158 seal.

The outside diameter on the 455086 seal is 4 1/4", vs the 3 7/8" for the correct seal for a SRW truck . . . so I don't see how there could be any confusion there?

I did just install a National 37015a unitized seal on my right rear instead of sleeving the damaged spindle surface, but I don't have enough miles on it yet to give a report. The unitized seal does physically fit, but had to be seated fully in the bore as it is thicker.

And, for reference: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-seals-148798/

NJTman 08-20-2016 09:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Alec (Post 3310101)
The outside diameter on the 455086 seal is 4 1/4", vs the 3 7/8" for the correct seal for a SRW truck . . . so I don't see how there could be any confusion there?

/

Easy,

I was sitting having dinner, away from my computer, and looking up on my phone Rockauto's website for the numbers. Without being able to access a timken catalog to review the physical sizing, I posted the numbers that I read were listed for Dana 70's, 71's etc. Been a couple years since I looked up numbers for my rear axle, and I don't keep a notebook in my wallet regarding parts for my dodge.:o

Mark needs to confirm the seal fitting correctly, regardless of what I, you or anyone else posts here, as it can vary, especially when you get a truck like mine which had the rear diff replaced in it's past.

I also stated that I had the seals in my garage which fit my truck, which I would get back to, So here's what I said I would do, which is post the numbers of the seals that fit MY truck. The top of a box I ripped off 6 years ago, and the stock I keep for future replacements.

Mark needs to check to make sure they're correct.

And yes you were right about the 455086 being way too big.[redface]

There's also a picture of my wife's dinner, just to prove I'm not BS-ing you Alec....[duhhh]

NJTman 08-20-2016 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A good read from the seal manufacturer.

I never knew you were supposed to lube the outside of the seal prior to install. I've either installed them dry or with some sort of gasket maker.

Loin somethin nuu ebery day..

NJTman 08-20-2016 09:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So,

Alec got me thinking...

(Thanks Alec) :thumbsup:

Why was my axle leaking when I bought my truck ?

So I figured it out by going to Timken's website.

My dodge, when I bought it had rear seals just put in, and by the time I got home, gear oil was leaking out.

They had # 415009 in the rear hubs.

So, when I replaced them, I put the same number in there, which also failed. I just handed the dude at the parts store the seal, and he gave me a new one.

This is when I went to the catalog to find out why, I realized that they installed a front Dana 60 grease seal, on the rear of my dodge, vs the correct 417158 oil bath seal.

They're almost identical in size (same outside diameter), but the 415009 leaked immediately after replacement because it fits a slightly smaller shaft (hence the reason why it heated up, spit the metal spring out, and failed)

Thanks Alec for refreshing my old, decrepit memory...[laugh]

maybe368 08-20-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3310077)

99% sure it's
Timken # 417158

Yeah T, I thought it was a thread or a post of yours that I tried to find. I too had brand new seals begin leaking right away. I went ahead and ordered the 417158 and the 24917 both. The current ones in there are correct because they have lasted at least 5 years without leaking and I am going to reinstall the same ones...Mark

johnh 08-20-2016 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3310050)
Hi guys, my rear axle seals are leaking and I am having a little problem finding the correct seals and a thread that I know has the numbers. I went to rock auto and they don't even list a dana 70, any help would be great, Thanks Mark P.S. And a shout out to Oliver Foster for being a great resource for hard to find parts for these trucks, Thanks a million Oliver :thumbsup::thumbsup:

remove the leaking seal and read the numbers on the seal, all parts stores should be able to supply the correct seal with those numbers[coffee]