1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

cutting dog dish hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
cutting dog dish hubcaps

I picked up 10 dog dish hubcaps awhile back but they are all solid centers..Id like to know the best way to cut a 5 inch hole in a couple of them...My buddy had a 5 in hole saw down at the shop and we tried that on the worst hubcap and pretty much nothing happened...did not touch it so whats next...thanks Jim
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 2,385 Likes on 1,575 Posts
Originally Posted by billy-jay
I picked up 10 dog dish hubcaps awhile back but they are all solid centers..Id like to know the best way to cut a 5 inch hole in a couple of them...My buddy had a 5 in hole saw down at the shop and we tried that on the worst hubcap and pretty much nothing happened...did not touch it so whats next...thanks Jim
You could not get a hole saw to cut through a hub cap?

I would think. flip them upside down, hole punch a center hole hole, drill out from behind into a piece of wood with the hole saw, and then repeat would work well.
The following users liked this post:
billy-jay (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Screw through the part of the center your removing to a piece of wood and drill it out , I have a metal lathe that I have done a few in . It works very well
The following 2 users liked this post by death row dave:
billy-jay (10-28-2018), nothingbutdarts (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:41 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I agree with the others screw it to a pieces of wood then drill it out.....stainless requires slow cutting with lots of cutting fluid to keep it cool, or it work hardens and gets very tough to cut.
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
billy-jay (10-28-2018), mknittle (10-28-2018), nonrev (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys...The hole saw we used looked and felt like it was sharp but it was used and dont know the quality of it...I drilled a pilot hole in the center then turned it over ,laid it on a piece of wood in the drill press....used a moderate speed but it didnt cut.....I think I need a higher quality one thats made for stainless and try that ? It did get hot so maybe like you said it was a combination of dullness and using to fast of a speed.....Jim
Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I agree with the others screw it to a pieces of wood then drill it out.....stainless requires slow cutting with lots of cutting fluid to keep it cool, or it work hardens and gets very tough to cut.
And start with a nice sharp saw or all it will do is harden. Stainless in kinda gummy so a sharp tool is key.
The following 2 users liked this post by mknittle:
billy-jay (10-28-2018), nonrev (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
And start with a nice sharp saw or all it will do is harden. Stainless in kinda gummy so a sharp tool is key.
A bit off topic: Stainless is also not so stainless in harsh environments, like down here in Kino Bay. If you don't dry the stainless sinks after each use, it starts rusting almost immediately. I have seen stainless down here completely rusted through, especially on the boats. The rain here is salty. That said, I still like things made of stainless...Mark
Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I saw my Uncle do a couple for me, seemed like they cut pretty easy, but don't remember if he used a special hole saw.
billy-jay (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
A bit off topic: Stainless is also not so stainless in harsh environments, like down here in Kino Bay. If you don't dry the stainless sinks after each use, it starts rusting almost immediately. I have seen stainless down here completely rusted through, especially on the boats. The rain here is salty. That said, I still like things made of stainless...Mark
That will happen with some alloys. It depends on the amount of nickel in the alloy. When I was doing machine work we built environmental chambers that replicate weather cycles rather rapidly for scientific testing. We had to use the higher nickel fasteners and stock we machined. I don 't remember the alloy.as I suffer from CRAFT but it has softer and wanted to tear when machined. That said I think salt is the enemy of everything to some degree.
maybe368 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by billy-jay
Thanks guys...The hole saw we used looked and felt like it was sharp but it was used and dont know the quality of it...I drilled a pilot hole in the center then turned it over ,laid it on a piece of wood in the drill press....used a moderate speed but it didnt cut.....I think I need a higher quality one thats made for stainless and try that ? It did get hot so maybe like you said it was a combination of dullness and using to fast of a speed.....Jim
I use the ones made by Milwaukee. and have had good luck with them. Just turn them slow and keep them lubed WD 40 will work You don't want so much lubrication but enough coolant for the tool. Heat is your enemy. My explanation is a little over the top for thin material but is a good rule of thumb for all cutting tools
The following 2 users liked this post by mknittle:
billy-jay (10-29-2018), nonrev (11-01-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 AM
Administrator

That will happen with some alloys. It depends on the amount of nickel in the alloy. When I was doing machine work we built environmental chambers that replicate weather cycles rather rapidly for scientific testing. We had to use the higher nickel fasteners and stock we machined. I don 't remember the alloy.as I suffer from CRAFT but it has softer and wanted to tear when machined. That said I think salt is the enemy of everything to some degree.
Yup, salt is the true enemy of the people (sorry). I just read that sodium in soda and salt itself are major components in bone loss in old age. In my youth, which went all the way to the age of 50, I drank nothing but soda. I probably went weeks without ever drinking any water. I figured that I wasn't dying of thirst, so it must be ok. Now at the age of 63, I know that my bones are not nearly as robust as they used to be. In my life, I have quit smoking, drinking and soda. Guess which was the hardest, yup, it was the soda. I absolutely love fully sugared Coca Cola, still do. I can't walk by an empty can of soda without thinking that just 1 would be ok. I drank one a few years ago and the next thing I knew, I was drinking pop again. It was much easier to quit the second time. I wonder if there is a popaholics anonymous...Mark P.S. I never got over weight because I ran 90 miles a month (6 miles 15 times a month) and that is the only reason that I didn't gain weight.
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
mknittle (10-30-2018), nonrev (11-01-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
You need a carbide drill bit, going to cost you if that stainless is of quality.
billy-jay (10-29-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:55 PM

Yup, salt is the true enemy of the people (sorry). I just read that sodium in soda and salt itself are major components in bone loss in old age. In my youth, which went all the way to the age of 50, I drank nothing but soda. I probably went weeks without ever drinking any water. I figured that I wasn't dying of thirst, so it must be ok. Now at the age of 63, I know that my bones are not nearly as robust as they used to be. In my life, I have quit smoking, drinking and soda. Guess which was the hardest, yup, it was the soda. I absolutely love fully sugared Coca Cola, still do. I can't walk by an empty can of soda without thinking that just 1 would be ok. I drank one a few years ago and the next thing I knew, I was drinking pop again. It was much easier to quit the second time. I wonder if there is a popaholics anonymous...Mark P.S. I never got over weight because I ran 90 miles a month (6 miles 15 times a month) and that is the only reason that I didn't gain weight.
My wife says the main reason they put salt/sodium in drinks is to make you thirsty so you buy more. There is also salt in most bottled water. My was told that when she worked in a clinic.She went through a bunch of classes on nutrition Because she was a Spanish interpreter.for the county. I know what you mean about the old bones I have osteoporosis. from radiation treatments.
maybe368 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Administrator

My wife says the main reason they put salt/sodium in drinks is to make you thirsty so you buy more. There is also salt in most bottled water. My was told that when she worked in a clinic.She went through a bunch of classes on nutrition Because she was a Spanish interpreter.for the county. I know what you mean about the old bones I have osteoporosis. from radiation treatments.
I didn't even think about that, I had 48 radiation treatments in 2001, 24 front and 24 back. Not 1 side effect until about the 16th or 17th, then all heck broke loose. I really suffered for at least a year after that...Mark
mknittle (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:01 PM

I didn't even think about that, I had 48 radiation treatments in 2001, 24 front and 24 back. Not 1 side effect until about the 16th or 17th, then all heck broke loose. I really suffered for at least a year after that...Mark
That nuclear stuff is rough on a guy!

Quick Reply: cutting dog dish hubcaps