Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Cruise and Speedometer/OD stopped working (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/cruise-speedometer-od-stopped-working-61168/)

landscaper 02-13-2005 06:06 PM

Cruise and Speedometer/OD stopped working

Thanks for helping me out. I have a '93 4x4 ext. cab with automatic. I was driving on the highway going 55 mph when the cruise control stopped working and looked down and the speedometer/odometer stopped working also. This happened on Friday. Today (2 days later) I was on the same highway and it seemed like it wasn't shifting into overdrive. I was driving 55 and when I pushed the OD off button it didn't shift down. By the way, I'm not a mechanic as you can tell. Any help would be appreciated.

wannadiesel 02-13-2005 06:18 PM

The vehicle speed sensor is bad or has a bad connection. The sensor is located on the transfer case, AFAIK it's the only thing with wires on the transfer case. Crawl under and make sure the thing's plugged in and none of the wires are rubbed through against anything. Unplug it and reconnect it a couple times, if the plug is cruddy that will get it working again.

landscaper 02-13-2005 09:39 PM

Thanks, I'll try that. Is the OD connected to this problem? Again thanks alot:)

wannadiesel 02-15-2005 08:33 PM

Yes. The computer is looking for a speed signal to tell it you're going fast enough to drop into OD. It's not getting that signal so you have no OD - as far as the computer is concerned you're sitting there idling.

tommy411 02-15-2005 11:32 PM

I've hadacouple of them fail the first one at 60,ooo mi. They cost around 60 bucks at most parts houses and it takes about 10 min to replace. There not made very water tight so moisture and crud gets inside them. They come with a new conector and I suggest you use it evan if you have to splice the wires there kind of sensitive.

landscaper 02-15-2005 11:43 PM

Not sure if this was the best way to go. Went to the junk yard today and got a speed control sensor and gear reducer off of one that had 97k on it. Put it on and it works great. I didn't replace the gear reducer though (what I think is the gear reducer - the part the sensor screws into). Just the speed control sensor. Do I need to replace the gear reducer or just hang onto it until I need it? My friend has a '93 with a 5-speed in it - he says his gear reducer is not working - do you think this part is interchangeable between a 5-speed and an automatic? He just replaced the speed sensor on his and the speedometer is working but it is not accurate - when he's going 42 he's actually traveling at 55. Do you think the gear reducer would correct the problem?

wannadiesel 02-16-2005 04:21 PM

You made the right call in using the adapter that was on your truck. The sensors are all the same, but there are different adapters for different rear gears and transmissions.