Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Coverting an '89 to intercooled (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/coverting-89-intercooled-331923/)

DISLSMOKE 04-25-2019 10:30 AM

Coverting an '89 to intercooled

Hey guys, I have looked at numerous old threads and stickies on the conversion. I have been restoring my '89 W250 from the ground up for the last 4 years, just takes time and money. Currently I have a complete 93 intercooler and tubes laying around. I have a mint '93 gasser rad support and grill, yes I will have to cut it up. But my real question is will I have to convert everything over to a cross flow radiator due to running the 727 tranny? Or can I stick with the original rad. The conversions I have read most are running a 5 speed. If I go crossflow I will have to change out the fan hub, thermostat housing, and fan pulley correct? Wanna do this once and done. Thanks.

oliver foster 04-25-2019 10:36 AM

Add clutch fan and fan shroud to your list if you want to go that route.

You will need the turbo with the 90* elbow and intake horn as well to round out the list.

I don't know much about how much cooling an auto needs, as I don't run them.
I would guess how much power you are making and how you use it in the end makes a big difference.

DISLSMOKE 04-25-2019 12:05 PM

I have a HX35 to put on the truck. And I have a fan and clutch off a 97. Guess I'll do some digging on parts. Before I tore the truck down I could hit some high EGTS pulling hills, and figured while I'm building this truck It would be in best interest to put an intercooler in it,

oliver foster 04-25-2019 12:19 PM

For the amount of custom work you are looking at doing I would look into using the much bigger 2nd gen intercooler, boots, tubes and intake horn.
I am doing that swap for the third time now on my '78 Ramcharger. My '85 crew cab and my 91.0 W-250 where converted from NON intercooled to intercooled using a HX-35 and 2nd gen intercoolers and parts.

Check the write up in the sticky for some pictures and details. I followed the sticky write up for the most part.

DISLSMOKE 04-25-2019 12:48 PM

Thank you Oliver. I might hit you up for some parts if you still have stuff on the shelf.

oliver foster 04-25-2019 01:12 PM

It seems like I put Cummins stuff on the shop shelf faster than I take it off - even while building / rebuilding 2, 1st gens and fixing up a '98 quad cab 12V 5 SPD from TX currently.
Just let me know what you may need. If I have room I could always bring it down to Carlisle.

thrashingcows 04-25-2019 02:58 PM

I agree with Oliver....converting to a complete IC style system is more work then it's worth IMO. If you are concerned about cooling, engine temp wise, then have your Non-IC rad re-cored, or have an Aluminum unit fabbed up. There is also an after market kit to add an IC to a NON-IC truck from CRX racing?? The have them for sale on E-bay. I have come across a couple people who have used the kit and they claim it was a decent set-up.