1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Chasing a short....Need assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing a short....Need assistance!

Ok, here's what's going on.

I have about 5 wires that hook to my POS battery cable. The one in question is, I'm guessing a 4-6 gauge wire (approx. 3/8" dia) that runs into the large wiring harness on the drivers side fender, and into the cab. When I touch this wire to the POS terminal I get a small spark, indicating an open circuit somewhere. I tried pulling EVERY fuse one at a time and reconnecting, but it never quit doing it. The only 'aftermarket' items on the truck are the flatbed and trailer light plugs (gooseneck and bumper hitch) Everything electrical seems to work fine on the truck, gauges, windows, radio, etc.

If anybody can give me a path to follow on this I'd be grateful. Keep in mind though, I fear what I don't understand (Read:Electrical issues!) And, basically my only tool to light my path is a two dollar test light!

Thanks for the help
Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
The alternator will draw a little and also the key light will give you a small spark. If you are not having battery problems then it is normal.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 AM

Some radios have circuits in them that cause a power draw: clock, memory etc. It's not much but enough to make a small spark when connecting a wire.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
Some radios have circuits in them that cause a power draw: clock, memory etc. It's not much but enough to make a small spark when connecting a wire.

I would get a 10 or maybe a 20 amp fuse. tie that wire to the fuse and then the battery! if i don't pop it then its just a energising, draw of some thing! if the battery don't go dead after you have hooked the fuse up then your probly ok and should make a permint fix.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
That's what get's me though. I had the radio fuse pulled, and it still sparked. That was the one I was counting on it to be. It is a TINY spark, dunno how long it would take it to drain the battery, probably at least 2-3 days.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Murf
That's what get's me though. I had the radio fuse pulled, and it still sparked. That was the one I was counting on it to be. It is a TINY spark, dunno how long it would take it to drain the battery, probably at least 2-3 days.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!
Disconnect the + side of the battery and connect an ampmeter between the post and clamp. 0.5-1.5 amps is an acceptable drain. The computer, radio, alternator will draw amperage. If you use a test light (non-LED) in the same manner as the ampmeter, it will light if there is a sufficient drain. If the test lamp don't light, don't worry about it.

(NB*) you can't use an LED light....It must be an incandesant bulb type

A voltmeter connected the same way will show the volt drain. 3 Volts or less is ok. The more voltage>>>> The faster the battery will drain. It's more of the amperage though that drains a battery. You can have high voltage and low amperage and still not drain the battery, but they usually go hand in hand. Usually when one is high, the other is too.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:29 AM

I've bought a couple of cheapo voltmeters at places like Home Depot, hardware stores etc. for somewhere between $7.95 and $10.00 on sale or special. Normally cheapos go for less than $20 and they work just fine for any automotive purposes. They usually come with adequate instructions for use. Worth the investment....