1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

can't figure this low power issue out

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
You should try the Irwin easy out nut driver set. When I was trying to get the torx bolts off of the KSB, to install my M&H timing spacer, I, too rounded off the torx within the bolt, basically stripped it. Found those Irwin easy outs at my local O'rileys and bam! Out in a jiffy!

It's not a drill bit deal. It's not a socket looking deal, either. They look like magnetic nut drivers that go on your drill motor. Those will easily remove those.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Right here is what you need
Attached Thumbnails can't figure this low power issue out-img_0885.jpg  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredodge
I just spent nearly 4 hours trying to get the piston cover bolts out. t30 socket cut through first one like butter, I mean I cleaned the head of the bolt got all the paint off and everything tapped the t30 in with a small hammer to make sure it was really snug went to twist and it didn't even have pressure just completely rounded it.. so I notched it tried a chisel and some tapping nothing, used a BIG flat head in the notch, nothing. ground 2 sides so an open end 8mm wrench fit with some tapping so it was super snug, rounded the flats I ground. taking the pump body to my house so I can weld some bolts to them and test my luck there. if not it's going to the local machine shop. frustrating as hell these bolt heads are maybe 1/8" thick at best... no idea how they got so much torque on them at the factory
Sounds like it's corroded in the threads. Good luck with that.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredodge
I just spent nearly 4 hours trying to get the piston cover bolts out. t30 socket cut through first one like butter, I mean I cleaned the head of the bolt got all the paint off and everything tapped the t30 in with a small hammer to make sure it was really snug went to twist and it didn't even have pressure just completely rounded it.. so I notched it tried a chisel and some tapping nothing, used a BIG flat head in the notch, nothing. ground 2 sides so an open end 8mm wrench fit with some tapping so it was super snug, rounded the flats I ground. taking the pump body to my house so I can weld some bolts to them and test my luck there. if not it's going to the local machine shop. frustrating as hell these bolt heads are maybe 1/8" thick at best... no idea how they got so much torque on them at the factory
Take a ball peen hammer and strike the head of the bolts. I would hit them as firm as you can without the intent of breaking them off. If possible support them in some manor to allow the use of more force. Do this with the ball peen side of a ball peen hammer.
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (10-25-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
Take a ball peen hammer and strike the head of the bolts. I would hit them as firm as you can without the intent of breaking them off. If possible support them in some manor to allow the use of more force. Do this with the ball peen side of a ball peen hammer.
I tried this. I hated having this project sit but I didn't have time the past day. today I will be welding up nuts and bolts to the heads and try that, if that doesn't work I don't think anything will lol
Old 10-27-2017, 03:18 PM

my fuel pin is still sticking!! it slides around in the housing just fine until I put the new o ring in there then it doesn't want to move. I used stp oil on it and everything, tons of oil nothin idk what to do now
Old 10-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Sorry for your troubles!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:33 AM

well I worked it back and forth a while with tons of stp. it pops out with throttle now, sometimes not all the way at first. but it doesn't go back in. I'm assuming that the fuel pin/cone is supposed to push it back in after boost is gone? I'm gonna finish installing it today and see what happens. if all else fails I'll lightly polish the slide pin and the housing for it. maybe it will help
Old 10-28-2017, 10:43 AM

I've manually pushed that pin out by working the throttle lever, but when I release the throttle lever the pin does not automatically go back in. So, that's when I lube it, then take a pick and slide mine back in.

I have a feeling, and I hate to say this, that you may have other issues going on. Can't remember, but did you say you already checked your lift pump? What kind of spray are you getting at the fuel lines at the injector connections, when you crack the nuts loose? You say you checked that fuel shut off solenoid? Yes?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

this was with pump off the truck. so I don't think anything else could be effecting it. I just know it's supposed to slide in and out with gravity, mine only goes out with the throttle **** and in when I push it in

as far as injector spray, not sure I'll have to check when I get it back in. my loft pump shoots fuel out of the nut on top but never hooked a gauge up
Old 10-28-2017, 02:26 PM

BigRed, are you going to have to disassemble the VE pump again? Follow that procedure in the FSM on checking that lift pump. I believe it has a procedure to check the gallons per minute? So no gage needed? You may just be starving for fuel. Isn't it weird, how it all of a sudden just happened? Hopefully you weren't running any bio like the other guy did, as he had the same exact problem as you initially had.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM

so I got it all back together, bled the lines got ready to start it and notice the stupid manual shut off lever was leaking. pulled the top hat off and found out the nut is all stripped out has maybe a thread left in it lol. oh well I'll try to find another nut. at least that's the worst of the problems now lol

edit; no shouldn't have to take it all apart again I just had to take the top hat off. the fuel pins been sticking since I bought the truck I just thought I fixed it a long time ago. when I bled the injectors diesel was squirting out pretty hard flying everywhere. so it's getting fuel.

also the fuel pin seems to be working fine. if it starts sticking again I'll polish it
Old 10-29-2017, 11:18 AM

crush seal?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/pump-reseal-truck-wont-start-297594/

can anyone show me a picture of the plug with the crush seal they are talking about in that thread? I couldn't get my truck to start for the few times I tried when I had it together and I thought it was throttle indexing. after reading this thread though I just want to make sure I didn't mess this crush seal up.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 PM

ok im taking the pump back off tomorrow but i think i know what my problem is already.. the spring (#200) in this pic, does that go in the center of part #27 the cross shaped coupler that sits on the cam plate? if so, my pump doesnt have it. i dont recall having removed it, its not in any of my pictures i took of the dissassembly and its not in my clean diesel tray which i set parts in as i removed them from the pump. i guess its possible it jumped out when i took the plunger out, not sure.

anyways if this spring is a piece that goes in that coupler I need a new one but can't find it anywhere on the web.. anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM

BRD, call (916)371-5223, that's Diamond Diesel in West Sacramento, CA. Ask for Margaret or Dave. Send them this picture via email, with areas highlighted, and they'll have any part you need. They are a Bosch certified injection pump shop.

Another one is Valley Fuel Injection out of Woodland, CA. Their number is (530)668-0818. Ask for a guy named Dave. They'll have that part.

If this is a pic that you saved from Jim Layne's pic collection, it should have came with a parts number list. Give that number to those shops, also.

Quick Reply: can't figure this low power issue out