1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis Pump??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis

I need a little help diagnosing this fuel leak. The rig is a 91 non intercooler 4x4 w250
It is in the area in the photo below. It is at the area where the little red arrow is pointing..I took the photo from underneath the rig. it is up past the power steering pump. It is diesel leaking for sure NOT steering fluid
It is only dripping under pressure, truck running
stock pump looks like
Can anyone tell me what that is leaking and whats involved in fixing it?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis   Pump??-fuel.png   bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis   Pump??-fuel-2.png   bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis   Pump??-pump.png   bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis   Pump??-pump1.jpeg  

Last edited by Morsel; 12-08-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 12-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
I would think that it is coming from the IP and dripping down to that point. There are some pump masters here that may have an idea from where...Mark
Old 12-08-2017, 02:54 PM

It is dripping a stead drip from the very bottom of that where the red arrow is in the second picture. I got in there with a light and I couldn't see and fuel coming from the lines coming in from the back
Old 12-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Morsel
It is dripping a stead drip from the very bottom of that where the red arrow is in the second picture. I got in there with a light and I couldn't see and fuel coming from the lines coming in from the back
Sorry, there was only the one photo when I posted. Someone that knows the VE should chime in soon...Mark
Old 12-08-2017, 04:59 PM

been doing a bit a research this afternoon. Looks like I am going to have to pull the pump. I am wondering what the cheapest best options are? I have had experience with rebuilding carbs of all kinds and I am familiar with that but not diesel injection pumps. If anyone can lend me some advice on how to proceed that would be great. I would really rather not replace the pump at this point if I can avoid it. IF i have to where is a good place to get one that is good but cheap?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:52 PM

anyone? Any pump experts out there?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
All kinds off good injection pump shops out there. Best I can tell you is not to price shop. If you want cheap that is exactly what you will get a half baked repair job with a for sure failure just around the curve.

Your pump looks really clean did you by chance just pressure wash it after you had the engine running?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by deere country
All kinds off good injection pump shops out there. Best I can tell you is not to price shop. If you want cheap that is exactly what you will get a half baked repair job with a for sure failure just around the curve.

Your pump looks really clean did you by chance just pressure wash it after you had the engine running?
nope. I cleaned it with a small amount of degreaser and water after I spotted the leak to see where the leak was coming from.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I believe there are reseal threads in the sticky. I had mine done at a diesel shop for $450 IIRC simply because I didn't have the time to do it myself. The truck was my only legal vehicle at the time so time was crucial.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
If you have the space, time, and basic knowledge you can rebuild your pump with a simple reseal kit, and be done, as the rubber o rings tend to fail over a 25 year stint

Think I paid about $900 to have a diesel shop do mine, as I didn't have anything other than basic knowledge available at the time.

TC (ThrashingCows) has had his out and resealed a couple of times, and developed a special socket for one of the 3 sided nuts on the pump. Jim Lane as well. Its not difficult once you get one done under your belt, so they say. You'll need the Bosch reseal kit to do the job

Bosch DGK-121

Runs about $20
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Hey Morsel:

When you pull the pump for your reseal, be sure you mark the mounting flange next to the mark on the timing case. This way you can set the timing back to where is was when you took the pump out.

Edwin
Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Hey Morsel:

When you pull the pump for your reseal, be sure you mark the mounting flange next to the mark on the timing case. This way you can set the timing back to where is was when you took the pump out.

Edwin
will do. Thanks Edwin!

Still trying to to find a genuine Bosch seal kit or a comparable quality kit or just the o ring. Hard to find apparently
Old 12-09-2017, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Morsel
will do. Thanks Edwin!

Still trying to to find a genuine Bosch seal kit or a comparable quality kit or just the o ring. Hard to find apparently
I googled DGK-121 bosch and found this at the top: AFC Banjo Bolt

Google is your friend but it steals your soul.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:38 PM

I don't know why it says AFC Banjo Bolt.

Here's a cheaper one: https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...-seal-kit.html
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM

That gasket says 91.5 through 93. Will that set work on a 91?

Quick Reply: bad fuel leak on a first gen.. A little help with a diagnosis Pump??