1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cab Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Clearance Lights

My cab clearance lights are not working on my 92 D350. I took one bulb out yesterday and it did not appear to be bad. Are they run in series where if one light goes out they all go out? It doesn't appear that I have a fuse out, but I don't know what fuse they are on.

Also, does anyone know what type of bulbs they are? The one I pulled out had all the writing burnt off of it.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sassafras
My cab clearance lights are not working on my 92 D350. I took one bulb out yesterday and it did not appear to be bad. Are they run in series where if one light goes out they all go out? It doesn't appear that I have a fuse out, but I don't know what fuse they are on.

Also, does anyone know what type of bulbs they are? The one I pulled out had all the writing burnt off of it.
No they are not wired in series. They are 12v bulbs. Don't know what they are, but if you have a good one you can measure the current and match it up using that and the size of the glass and base. The bulb number is typically on the base, not on the glass.

They are driven off the tail lamp circuit. There's a splice in the dashboard harness near the headlamp switch (if it's like my '93) that goes to a bullet connector at the left side of the instrument panel, with the wire running up the left hand windshield column and daisy chaining down the string of clearance/marker lamps. The fault is likely the bullet connector if your tail lights work.

Name:  8W-81.jpg
Views: 4229
Size:  48.3 KB
Old 01-22-2015, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
No they are not wired in series. They are 12v bulbs. Don't know what they are, but if you have a good one you can measure the current and match it up using that and the size of the glass and base. The bulb number is typically on the base, not on the glass.

They are driven off the tail lamp circuit. There's a splice in the dashboard harness near the headlamp switch (if it's like my '93) that goes to a bullet connector at the left side of the instrument panel, with the wire running up the left hand windshield column and daisy chaining down the string of clearance/marker lamps. The fault is likely the bullet connector if your tail lights work.

Thanks for the response, that was going to be my next move getting in behind the dash and poking around.

As for the bulb, it's all glass, no plastic base. Kinda looks like the ones that go in the front side markers. I'll pull some of the others and see if the lettering on the bulb is still readable. All I could read from the first one was GE_ _ _.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Pretty sure the bulbs are 194's....Like this one?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by sassafras
Thanks for the response, that was going to be my next move getting in behind the dash and poking around.

As for the bulb, it's all glass, no plastic base. Kinda looks like the ones that go in the front side markers. I'll pull some of the others and see if the lettering on the bulb is still readable. All I could read from the first one was GE_ _ _.
I thought it was a bayonet base.

It's likely a 194. (0.27a) Could be a 168.(0.35a)

Be careful poking around. Best to just find the bullet connector in the black/yellow trace wire and verify power there. If there, you'll have to pull the left clearance lamp and fix the broken wire.

Sometimes the tail/clearance contacts in the headlight switch fail. It is possible it's been wired around. Verify (with the diagram provided) that the switch, connector, and wiring are intact.

The designed in overload in a 1 ton is why I installed a relay on that circuit near the headlamp switch with it's own fuzed circuit.

Unfortunately, you have to pull the dash panel to access the headlamp switch. E-brake or hood release can also be in the way, but aren't a big deal to drop. Be careful with the dash. They get brittle when old and are made of unobtainium.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by j_martin
It's likely a 194. (0.27a) Could be a 168.(0.35a)
I'm certain the correct bulb is 194. Several years, under the MISTAKEN impression that the 168 bulb was the lower wattage of the two, I replaced all five of my cab marker lights with 168s. Every single one of the five amber plastic covers (a/k/a "stone shields") cracked due to the excess heat. Fortunately for me, Mopar still had new stone shields in stock so replacement was easy enough. Lesson learned and I'm now using LEDS, which generate almost zero heat.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Each lamp has a ground and the screw is the ground point wiggle each lamp screw and work your way onto the other side . Yes the buld is a 194. I use led bulb's they are also the same for the dash light's .