1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brotherhood of 1st Gen Dodge owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Brotherhood of 1st Gen Dodge owners

Just throwing this thought out..

How do you associate yourself with other 1st gen dodge owners ?

Do you feel a special bond between those other crazy wabbits out there who spend their lives tinkering on these old trucks ?

If so, how far would you go to help a 1st gen enthusiast who was now in need of help? I'm not talking about bailing them out of jail for getting in a bar fight over the weekend, but someone who was being harassed because of his affinity, or his affiliation with his hobby... of these old trucks?

So....... if you knew about a fellow enthusiast, who because of his love of these trucks, was going through a bad time because of this and needed a hand.... how far would you go to help ? Would you care?

No, it's not me.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
i really enjoy when i see another one of these on the road.. makes me smile and wave. If i ever saw one on the side of the road i would definitely stop without hesitation..

In other words. If i could ever do anything to help i wouldnt hesitate. kinda goes for anyone really. i think there is way to much hate for eachother in this world. no one is willing to help anyone. Found that out real quick when i move to the city!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Just throwing this thought out..

How do you associate yourself with other 1st gen dodge owners ?

Do you feel a special bond between those other crazy wabbits out there who spend their lives tinkering on these old trucks ?

If so, how far would you go to help a 1st gen enthusiast who was now in need of help? I'm not talking about bailing them out of jail for getting in a bar fight over the weekend, but someone who was being harassed because of his affinity, or his affiliation with his hobby... of these old trucks?

So....... if you knew about a fellow enthusiast, who because of his love of these trucks, was going through a bad time because of this and needed a hand.... how far would you go to help ? Would you care?

No, it's not me.
I think it would be cool to know some local first genners. As far as helping, that would depend on the person. Some people are hard to help. I would offer advice and possibly help wrestling heavy parts.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I kind of agree with Mark. It would depend on the situation. I would be more then willing to help work on the truck, donate parts, labour and time to help the person out.

But if the help required was due to family, work, community or home, I think I would have to really know the person well, before I would wade into those kind of situations.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with TC and Mark. I live in a rural area. Country folk tend to understand these old trucks. City folk, not so much.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:56 PM

Difficult question to answer, I guess, without all the info associated with the situation. Just trying to help someone here, in need, and don't really know how to go about it without disclosing too much info. Unfortunately, distance is the overriding factor.

Thanks for the insights..
Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
If there is something I could do and had the time and means I would do it. I've been into old cars and drag racing for a long time. Drag racers help each other out, why not 1st genners?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 AM

Hmmm...something like a 1st gen club? In 2015 my '90 will qualify to join the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) Texas region. I am a member already because of my '82 MB. You have to be part of the national ($35/yr dues) before joining the state/regional ($15/yr dues). It is really neat being with people that enjoy old cars and trucks.

I do not mind helping out when I have all the facts. There is not enough to go on IMHO.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by rrgrassi
Hmmm..

I do not mind helping out when I have all the facts. There is not enough to go on IMHO.
Simply seeing what the overall group feel is here.... simply out of respect for our brother who didn't want to draw attention to himself. This is my idea completely, as if my circumstances were different, I'd be there in a heartbeat, helping out. I just cant due to personal issues here.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:39 AM

I never thought much about it but I guess about 8 to 10 over the years.

When I swapped my old G360 for an NV4500HD I did it alone in my drive way. I sold the G360 to a friend and installed it with help from another friend. He owed me some money and I wrote off his debt for the help.

I've also had help mostly with answers over the phone.

It is always nice to be able to help others.

Bob
Old 10-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not knowing much in details makes it hard to handle this type of problem. Myself I would tell who ever it is to just go away. I have no interest in what you think of what I drive and work on. You are not paying for it or the repairs. You thoughts means nothing. If you can't keep your mouth shut just don't come around. BTW I wouldn't care if it was friends or family causing the problem. That's how I would handle the problem.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gens are a rare sighting where I live. I have have had great conversations with fellow 1st gen owners, and have made some friends. I always wave when I see another 1st gen, and they usually have a smile when they see another on the road too.

I also get a lot of compliments from owners of later model Dodge diesels, which is nice.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Simply seeing what the overall group feel is here.... simply out of respect for our brother who didn't want to draw attention to himself. This is my idea completely, as if my circumstances were different, I'd be there in a heartbeat, helping out. I just cant due to personal issues here.
I totally understand that one! Too much attention can make for thing being blown out of proportion.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove by a Wendy's at work the other day and there was a big green first gen with the license plate "ROLKOL". I had a good laugh and thought "this guy gets it".

The truck was actually clean looking. Granted I was driving, but it didn't look like a total POS. I have to admit I probably get a little too exited every time I see another first gen on the road (which of course isn't so common).
However I tell the guys at work to get lost because its something I love, and they are all half ton owners anyway so they wont get it.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People are pretty friendly around here. But there's one guy in a first-gen that never waves, it seemed like it pained him to talk to me the day I pulled in beside him to fuel.

Quick Reply: Brotherhood of 1st Gen Dodge owners