1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake/Turn/Hazard Fuses Blowing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I have the FSM. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out the diagrams.. just at a loss as what to do next. I’ve been researching how to replace a melted wire at the fusebox in general to figure out the procedure involved.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
There's a micro small tab on the female plug that's inside the fuse panel. It needs to be depressed, and the plug slides out. You can then replace the pink with blue tracer wire that got smoked.

Really not good to install fuses that are rated higher than what is supposed to be there, as they can burn the truck up in a few minutes.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
There's a micro small tab on the female plug that's inside the fuse panel. It needs to be depressed, and the plug slides out. You can then replace the pink with blue tracer wire that got smoked.

Really not good to install fuses that are rated higher than what is supposed to be there, as they can burn the truck up in a few minutes.
Currently deciding if instrument cluster or whole dash has to be removed to chase the melted wire... can see its melted to the door buzzer and then into harness leading to firewall..And was only using 20amp fuse, so no issues with wrong amp.

Edit: not going to firewall but up to dash area behind message center.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Erbstock

Currently deciding if instrument cluster or whole dash has to be removed to chase the melted wire... can see its melted to the door buzzer and then into harness leading to firewall..And was only using 20amp fuse, so no issues with wrong amp.

Edit: not going to firewall but up to dash area behind message center.
Dash is a little time consuming as there is 7 screws under the windshield gasket but instrument cluster and bezel isn't too bad...pull all the screws and pull the pin out of the headlight switch, probly 15 to 20 minutes to pull out I'd say
Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Is there a trick to getting door buzzer box off? Youtube video has kid just lifting the only tab I see and just pulling off. Mine wont budge, tried gently prying,.. nothing. Really don’t want to break it. Also, I can’t figure out for the life of me how to get wire out of fuse box (trying to trace and remove melted wire). NJTman says there’s a tab on the fuse side,.. I’ve watched videos , messed with it for an hour atleast, nothing. I have tiny flat head screwdriver that seems to fit in there just fine. Trying to get more of this done today before almost 2 weeks of rain starts tomorrow, but at a stand still.. can’t seem to figure out how to remove this wire , also need to remove it at brake light switch. Also see corrosion on fusible link connector I need to figure out how to fix.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Harbor freight sells pic sets that will provide you the ability to depress that clip.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piec...set-93514.html
Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 AM

Anyone know if Lisle 56500 extractor tool will work to remove wire from fuse box? Looking for an extractor at this point.. I’ve been struggling with picks and micro screwdrivers and nothing gives.

Noticed that passenger door appears to have button for door buzzer mounted in the door jam like drivers side..I couldn’t get the **** kick panel off to look behind it,.. the bottom screws rusted real good. Hasn’t worked since I’ve owned,., so I’m hoping when I get to look at wiring its hacked or something!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Ended up replacing the pink/blue brake wire inside the cab -brake switch/buzzer/ABS/Fuse box as well as hazard wire white/orange from brake switch to ABS (had melted). Fired it up a couple weeks ago after doing that and everything worked (also removed all trailer wiring and pass door buzzer wire). . But after another attempt ,I clicked ignition to Start, not run, and PoP! Little cloud of smoke from under the hood. Read the FSM for awhile and realized power would be going to the Red wire , near firewall inside the engine bay, that connects to the orange fusible link. Ripped that fusible link out, connected to one to red wire and ran a new one straight to the battery. I’ll post a picture later to show it since I’m not the most proficient at clearly articulating this stuff (my buddy has electrical engineering backround and makes crazy faces when I try to explain my logic after reading wiring diagrams). Taken for two 15-20min test drives and all seems to work! Going to tighty everything back up soon. Thanks for your input and patience with a noob!
Old 04-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM