1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake/Turn/Hazard Fuses Blowing!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake/Turn/Hazard Fuses Blowing!

So I’ve owned my ‘’92 W250 for about 2 1/2 years and have been having electrical issues (among other things) the entire time.. I’ve been in friends shops trying to figure it out, countless hours on this forum, testing the best I can with multimeters, etc. Going across country I will blow almost 50 fuses.. Its really making me furious and is actually straining my relationship as I spend so much time researching and talking about it and now I have to borrow GF’s car most the time. Symptoms seem to worsen in winter.. I have cleaned grounds and chased wires for endless hours,.. replaced : multifunction switch, brake light switch, rear sockets, and attempted to undo both trailer hook-ups and brake controller. I have put something to hold brake pedal and tried wiggling wires to no avail,.. fusible links appear fine. I can almost hear a static buzz sometimes from inside the cab that sounds like electric static or something.. have read about steering column causing short.. but also think scramble of trailer wire in rear could be culprit. Any help is really appreciated and please be kind as this is my first post on DTR (I tried doing my homework before posting).

Steve

1992 W250 Getrag 360 5.9 6bt
Old 02-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Seems ya’ll like photos around here
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I spent the better part of a year trying to find a short that kept blowing fuses..... intermittently.

There was no rhyme or reason as to when it would fail. Since I swapped out my FL's to fuses, the replacement fuse in the FL's location was the one that kept blowing, over and over again. At first I found this: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...st-gen-329294/ but a month later, the same fuse blew again, so I continued to look.

After months and months looking for bare wires, cracked wires, mouse chewed hoses, and anything else I could look for, I did exactly what you did, and asked the most knowledgeable folks I could find .... what am I looking for, and give me a clue to finding it.

I posted this thread (with photos) https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...remlin-327582/

James1 saved me, saved my truck, and made me very happy. I owe him a night of heavy drinking, and me paying the tab....

He guessed what it was from his experience, and in just a few hours (after ordering all the proper wiring from a supply) I haven't had it happen since. I'm following James1's lead, and seeing if I'm helping ya or not.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Thank you for quick response. My truck is base model , so no power windows etc. Gonna check this door wiring when the sun comes out in couple of days though.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Erbstock
Thank you for quick response. My truck is base model , so no power windows etc. Gonna check this door wiring when the sun comes out in couple of days though.
what fuse. Number is blowing???

Pull the hazard flasher out, see if it does anything.

When you rotate the fuse panel over, what condition is the panel wiring in?

Btw, fusable. Links can appear fine, but still be bad. Mine were completely corroded below the covering, and I had no idea until I replaced them with fuses
Old 02-16-2019, 11:41 AM

So stop lamp fuse blows, turn signal and hazard fuses. Brake blowing the most as thats used the most. I hear ya on the fusible links only “looking ok”.. seems to be common and also where my buddy thinks I’m having issuses.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Ohh and wiring appears fine behind fuse box. The steering column plastic was removed and fuse box hanging down with no plastic piece to hold it up under steering column when I got the truck.. had been sitting in barn in California for years. I feel like I’ve picked up someone elses headache they never figured out.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
My first guess would be that either the br/yl wire for the right rear brake/turn signal, or the dg/yl wire for the left rear brake/turn signal is intermittently shorting to ground.

For what it is worth, a fusible link cannot make a downstream fuse fail.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec
For what it is worth, a fusible link cannot make a downstream fuse fail.

I would say that it is worth a lot, I didn't know that...Mark
Old 02-16-2019, 04:21 PM

I was just thinking the same! That’s good to know.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Fuseable links can be,intermittent, though.

The reason I ripped all mine out was they were physically corroded inside their sheath covering, when their outward appearances looked normal.

When I would wiggle them, they would make or break connections. When I disassembled the duckfoot, I found the fl's were green oxidized inside their individual sheaths. I assume someone had previously poked them during some sort of testing, and never sealed the pinpoint holes . JMartin mentioned this year's ago, and he had seen the same thing.
Yes theres an intermittent short going on somewhere, and problematic areas, such as the two disconnects at the rear tail lamp harnesses, located in the rear frame sectors are notorious for failure.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Erbstock
and attempted to undo both trailer hook-ups and brake controller.

1992 W250 Getrag 360 5.9 6bt

I think you have answered your own question right here, I believe if you totally disconnect the trailer wiring and the brake controller you will have solved your problem, FWIW

maybe368 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Pull the hazard flasher out, see if it does anything
Ok so I had first sunny day in a week, started poking around and tried this first. Had to make it to town for some hay and had my brake and turn fuses blown, so decided to take 20amp fuse for hazard and use it for brake lights. Didn’t make it to end of long driveway before I saw smoke coming from multifunction and/or fuse box.. was hazard depressed from last time I messed with it? I’m not sure..Pulled another 20 amp and put in hazard fuse spot, popped immediately.. now my brake wire looked melted behind fuse box! (And gf’s car has hay everywhere haha). Looks like big blue sitting for awhile.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:14 PM

NJTman (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Do you have an fsm with a wiring diagram? I am not an expert, but you have something going to ground,a frayed wire, a loose wire or something, but things don't burn out that fast without a short to ground...Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake/Turn/Hazard Fuses Blowing!