Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Boost went from 40 PSI to 15 ??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/boost-went-40-psi-15-a-203214/)

Elohim1 05-01-2008 08:00 PM

Boost went from 40 PSI to 15 ???

My turbo is wastegated at 40. I can now only get about 15. Power has reduced quite a bit. Feels like its about back to stock.

Things I did out of the ordinary before this happened.

1)I did add a quart of 2 cycle fuel to a full tank.
2)The engine did rev up momentarily because my accelerator return spring broke when I stepped on it.
3)Sprayed the injection pump area/ linkage with some lubricant.

Is my stock lift pump going bad, would this cause loss of boost???

My intercooler boots are new and connected, I have Tim's 3" tubes.

LMK what I need to check?

I have been gathering items for a big line kit and will be installing a piston pump?

Tron 05-01-2008 08:19 PM

Check the AFC diaphram and the little steel boost line going to it. Also might be the fuel pin (the little pin inside the pump when the afc diaphram is removed) With the diaphram removed work the throttle and see if the little pin pops out. If it does just push it back in so the afc can be reinstalled.

DBF 05-01-2008 10:33 PM

Pressure test the intercooler. Might have blown a small hole in it.

Regards, DBF

j-fox 05-02-2008 08:03 AM

Recheck those boots!

JD730 05-02-2008 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tron (Post 2066156)
Check the AFC diaphram and the little steel boost line going to it. Also might be the fuel pin (the little pin inside the pump when the afc diaphram is removed) With the diaphram removed work the throttle and see if the little pin pops out. If it does just push it back in so the afc can be reinstalled.

Thats possible, but mine with the air turn off to the AFC will run 30psi on the boost.

Originally Posted by DBF (Post 2066340)
Pressure test the intercooler. Might have blown a small hole in it.

Regards, DBF

Pressure test the whole setup from the intake side of the turbo, spray it down with soapy water to find the leak.

wannadiesel 05-02-2008 04:06 PM

Broke the breakover spring?

stackx2 05-02-2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2067230)

what is the break over spring my friends truck did the same thing today

Elohim1 05-02-2008 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel (Post 2067230)

The spring that connects where the engine data tag is located to where the throttle linkage is located. The throttle stuck open momentarily and shut the engine down with the key. Are you saying this is the breakover spring or are you stating the breakover spring could be the problem? What is the breakover spring?

AFC BOOT and line are fine.

I am definitely not getting near as much black smoke at WOT.
Retightened boots, do not detect any leaks ?

Could it be the stock lift pump is failing ???

Please keep posting.

Thanks
Chris

bgilbert 05-02-2008 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tron (Post 2066156)
Also might be the fuel pin (the little pin inside the pump when the afc diaphram is removed) With the diaphram removed work the throttle and see if the little pin pops out. If it does just push it back in so the afc can be reinstalled.

Did you try this?

The breakover spring is on the throttle linkage lever/plate, not the return spring.