1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Given the description of the TTY bolts leads me to think the bolts in the Cummins head are TTY also. Can anyone confirm this?
I can't answer your question, but I do remember that the act of torquing a bolt, once it is contacting the surface, is literally stretching the bolt:

Engine Sealing and Proper Head Bolt Use

How to Understand Angular Torque and Torque to yield - WB Tools ...Mark
Old 01-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Cummins head bolts are reusable, evidenced by the stretch gauge included in Cummins head gasket kits. It is a cardboard template, that measures the relaxed length of used head bolts. If the bolt is longer than the gauge, pitch it.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Given the description of the TTY bolts leads me to think the bolts in the Cummins head are TTY also. Can anyone confirm this?
They are not torque to yield - they are torque to turn which are reusable to an extent.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:02 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Today I drained the engine oil,

This was stuck on the drain plug magnet,

Any ideas where they might have come from?

Looks like some kind of a strap or retainer to me but I cannot imagine from where.

Maybe from a bearing cage or retainer, about 10 years ago the vacuum pump eccentric fragmented and sent ***** and parts of the ball cage through the gear case and into the oil pan.

Jim
Well, Jim,

Now that I read this thread here : https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...orking-165546/

Your statement above makes perfect sense. Sure took long enough for it to find it's way out, eh ?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well, Jim,

Now that I read this thread here : https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...orking-165546/

Your statement above makes perfect sense. Sure took long enough for it to find it's way out, eh ?

NJTman,
Wow
Check this out, after racking my brain to try and think where it might have come from and then you posted my article,

I went back through thousands of albums and found my original pictures of the incident and I think I may have found it.

Now I feel better that I know that something did not break inside my engine.

I can't believe it took over 10 years to make its way out of the engine, 2007 to 2018.

Blown Head Gasket?-nnmoygbh.jpg

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Hey guys, there has to be a few turbo guru's out there,

I am still looking for an answer to my low power.

Is it possible that my H1D is pushing more air than my old H1C and I need to turn up my fuel? no other adjustments were touched on the pump.

I also notice my turbo now whines louder where I could barely hear it before.

I used to be able to hit 1300* with a stab of the throttle where now I barely get 1000* at WOT
Jim

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
So I am still chasing the problem of low power, I got on the freeway tonight and under WOT I could only hit 30PSI boost and barely hit 1000* EGT, also noticed watching the camera that there was no haze or smoke out the exhaust.

Seems to me that I do not have enough fuel, weird,

I removed the injection pump when I replaced the tappet cover and got the timing it back in the same position I know this for sure.

The only variable was I had the injectors rebuilt and the turbo was rebuilt, so how would I check these?

I can turn up the pump but I had it turned down before 2 turns and I could hit 1300* in an instant.

The guy that rebuilt my turbo said he used a turbine and parts off a H1D turbo and it is now listed as a H1D on the tag so what are the differences between the H1C and the H1D when it comes to the exhaust turbine?

Could this be pushing more air than my old H1C and I just need to turn up the fuel?

Just thinking out loud here.

I already checked the top of the pump and the diaphragm is ok.

Thanks Jim
Old 02-07-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Since the only change was the injectors it's a fairly safe bet that is the cause of your power loss. Have you tried turning up the fuel screw? What did the injector rebuilder have to say?

Edwin
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Guy at BECS said the injectors we're below specs on the pop pressure so they we're disassembled ultrasonically cleaned and reset to specs, got the same ones back.

I have not turned up the fuel yet, I wanted to explore any possibilities before.

Is feels like a ruptured AFC diaphragm but I know that is ok, I can move it with air pressure.

Why would my turbo be louder under boost after it was replaced?

Does an H1D flow more than an H1C?

Art said he installed a turbine from an H1D and did some modifications, the tag list it as an H1D

I will disconnect the boost line from the pump to see if I have the same power.
(Rule out fuel pin)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Does an H1D flow more than an H1C?
Yes. But that doesn't mean that it will give you the drivability that you want.

The larger compressor can generally move a larger mass of air. But it isn't so good for generating higher pressure ratios at lower flow rates, which is what you want for responsiveness "off the line".

So far as noise, if the new compressor housing has a "Map Width Enhancing" slot and no silencer ring, it will be much louder than the stock turbo was.

I would check the afc functionaing as you describe.

Assuming there is no problem there I would turn up the fuel. Clearly you have "room" EGT-wise to turn up the fuel significantly, and the new turbo configuration should let you burn significantly more fuel, and generate more horsepower, at higher engine speeds.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Holset H-Series Data sheet

I haven't tried this before but attached should be the data sheet in .pdf form.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
H_Service_Data_Sheet.pdf (216.0 KB, 96 views)