1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
That is a huge difference. I've never had one with the 1/4 turn AFTER torquing either. Very odd indeed.
Since it is a torque to turn method, the increased torque value on the long bolts make up for the extra "stretch" that the long bolts will experience over the shorter bolts.

Originally Posted by maybe368
Also, with gassers, you used to have to retorque the head bolts after running the engine to operating temperature. I believe that may have changed with modern head gaskets, but I am not sure. It has been a long time since I have done that kind of work and things change fast...Mark
Most newer head gaskets are "supposed" to be "perma torque" but if you retorque them, you WILL get a little more out of the bolts.

When I redid my head gasket, I got a new set of socket head bolts from Fastenal and torqued them all to 125 Ft lbs. I let them sit overnight and retorqued them and they ALL gave a little. Ran it a couple hundred miles and retorqued them again, and some gave a little more. Ran it a thousand miles or so and a couple gave just a touch.

Multiple retorques are worth the time and effort IMO...
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Since it is a torque to turn method, the increased torque value on the long bolts make up for the extra "stretch" that the long bolts will experience over the shorter bolts.

Most newer head gaskets are "supposed" to be "perma torque" but if you retorque them, you WILL get a little more out of the bolts.

When I redid my head gasket, I got a new set of socket head bolts from Fastenal and torqued them all to 125 Ft lbs. I let them sit overnight and retorqued them and they ALL gave a little. Ran it a couple hundred miles and retorqued them again, and some gave a little more. Ran it a thousand miles or so and a couple gave just a touch.

Multiple retorques are worth the time and effort IMO...
In high school in my junior and senor year, I was lucky enough to get into a vocational program at the old Phoenix Union HS. I chose basic auto mechanics the first year and advanced engine rebuilding the second year. The instructor was a no nonsense, take the time to do the job right kind of guy and he was very picky. He was big on 2 things: Retorquing bolts and running startup oil and changing it after the first operating temperature. I have to admit that I learned 2 important things: how to work on cars and that I didn't want to do it for a living . Working on my own vehicles has probably save me a few hundred thousand dollars in my life, unfortunately, I spent most of that chasing girls around ...Mark
Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
In high school in my junior and senor year, I was lucky enough to get into a vocational program at the old Phoenix Union HS. I chose basic auto mechanics the first year and advanced engine rebuilding the second year. The instructor was a no nonsense, take the time to do the job right kind of guy and he was very picky. He was big on 2 things: Retorquing bolts and running startup oil and changing it after the first operating temperature. I have to admit that I learned 2 important things: how to work on cars and that I didn't want to do it for a living . Working on my own vehicles has probably save me a few hundred thousand dollars in my life, unfortunately, I spent most of that chasing girls around ...Mark
Yep, I've spent most of my money on fast cars, faster women and alcohol. The rest of it I just wasted.
The following 3 users liked this post by Angry Johnny:
edwinsmith (01-23-2018), maybe368 (01-23-2018), patdaly (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Yep, I've spent most of my money on fast cars, faster women and alcohol. The rest of it I just wasted.
Yup, and some of them weren't fast enough ...Mark
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Most of you guys know I'm still very much in the learning stage of fixing your our vehicles... learning every day!!!

Why did Mr Lane put paint on the block after he removed the old gasket material? Why did he "scuff" it with 400 grit paper?

And ..... why is under the hood of his truck so clean!!!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
So I am still chasing the problem of low power, I got on the freeway tonight and under WOT I could only hit 30PSI boost and barely hit 1000* EGT, also noticed watching the camera that there was no haze or smoke out the exhaust.

Seems to me that I do not have enough fuel, weird,

I removed the injection pump when I replaced the tappet cover and got the timing it back in the same position I know this for sure.

The only variable was I had the injectors rebuilt and the turbo was rebuilt, so how would I check these?

I can turn up the pump but I had it turned down before 2 turns and I could hit 1300* in an instant.

The guy that rebuilt my turbo said he used a turbine and parts off a H1D turbo and it is now listed as a H1D on the tag so what are the differences between the H1C and the H1D when it comes to the exhaust turbine?

Could this be pushing more air than my old HiC and I just need to turn up the fuel?

Just thinking out loud here.

I already checked the top of the pump and the diaphragm is ok.

Thanks Jim
Old 01-24-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Great write up, Jim.

As freaking always.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
Most of you guys know I'm still very much in the learning stage of fixing your our vehicles... learning every day!!!

Why did Mr Lane put paint on the block after he removed the old gasket material? Why did he "scuff" it with 400 grit paper?

And ..... why is under the hood of his truck so clean!!!!!
He lives in Commiefornia, and they don't use salt down there.

I thought he just painted the outer surface of the head before installing it.

The block surface is supposed to have a little "grit" to it, to ensure the new gasket mates properly, I would assume. A mirror polished surface would allow the gasket to move around a bit, and not "bite" in.

Or so I would think that he followed the instructions on the install manual paper work he got from Cummins.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 PM

NJT... my goof on that one about the paint on the head.

I was referring to Jim's first picture in his part-2 update... I thought the orange in the picture was the paint he was talking about. But the orange is actually on the block not the head. As I looked closer at the picture it was obvious the orange is on the new gasket

Second picture of his part-2 update does show the actual head ... freshly painted. Duuh...!!!

My bad. But ... would there be any adverse effects to a little bit of "tackyness" on one side of a gasket so as to keep it in place on the install... and then when the parts are separated the gasket would be more likely to separate in one piece and be reused?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol-dodge 1992
NJT... my goof on that one about the paint on the head.

I was referring to Jim's first picture in his part-2 update... I thought the orange in the picture was the paint he was talking about. But the orange is actually on the block not the head. As I looked closer at the picture it was obvious the orange is on the new gasket

Second picture of his part-2 update does show the actual head ... freshly painted. Duuh...!!!

My bad. But ... would there be any adverse effects to a little bit of "tackyness" on one side of a gasket so as to keep it in place on the install... and then when the parts are separated the gasket would be more likely to separate in one piece and be reused?
I would never ever reuse a head gasket.
The following users liked this post:
1972RedNeck (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I would never ever reuse a head gasket.
I agree. Once it's used, it's done, just like a crush sleeve in a 9" ford rear, or a nyloc nut. Really don't have the same effectiveness once used.

Of course, I've heard of trojans being reused, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why ?

Years ago, they used to suggest painting head gaskets before installation with a coating of sorts, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. Pretty sure it was copper colored though.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Coppercoat
Even at $100.00 for a head gasket I would not reuse it, there is a sealant around the oil and water passages you would compromise if you moved it after it was set.
Jim
Old 01-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Thank you gents for the insight... I suppose the price of any new gasket is cheap insurance against a possible leak or weak spot

SD
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Coppercoat
Even at $100.00 for a head gasket I would not reuse it, there is a sealant around the oil and water passages you would compromise if you moved it after it was set.
Jim
Yup, even in the old days one of the commandments was to not reuse head gaskets. On newer vehicles, like my dearly departed TDI, there are single use bolts called Torque to Yield bolts or TTY or T2Y bolts:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...to-yield-bolts ...Mark
Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Yup, even in the old days one of the commandments was to not reuse head gaskets. On newer vehicles, like my dearly departed TDI, there are single use bolts called Torque to Yield bolts or TTY or T2Y bolts:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...to-yield-bolts ...Mark
Given the description of the TTY bolts leads me to think the bolts in the Cummins head are TTY also. Can anyone confirm this?

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket?