1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Big, complicated, hairy question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Big, complicated, hairy question

My 92 CTD dually is a mess. Runs good, but that is about it. I need to change the cab out, among other things. The wiring from stem to stern is a completely jerry-rigged nightmare. Starting from scratch here. How hard is it, with a newish wiring harnes that is complete. and correct for 92, is it to do this? I mean, the 12v to run only needs one wire, right? I am not sure about a lot of things with this truck, it is a labor of love, and I got it for cheaper than you can buy a cummins engine, so it's worth it. I am thinking of buying the entire truck wiring for a 92 off Oliver if he has, wanted to know anyone elses issues doing this if there was one.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I can come up with any wiring harness you may need for a '92 12V truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by oliver foster:
NJTman (10-24-2020), thrashingcows (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 03:55 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Change out the cab with a good unit, pre-90-ish the bulkhead connector size and shape might be wrong, and if you have a 4wd truck then you need to make sure to get a cab with the large floor hump for the tranny/transfer case clearances. Then switching out the wiring harnesses is not tough at all....just unfasten, unplug and remove old harness, then install good used new harnesses in the opposite direction.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Change out the cab with a good unit, pre-90-ish the bulkhead connector size and shape might be wrong, and if you have a 4wd truck then you need to make sure to get a cab with the large floor hump for the tranny/transfer case clearances. Then switching out the wiring harnesses is not tough at all....just unfasten, unplug and remove old harness, then install good used new harnesses in the opposite direction.
The real issue is that the wiring is all cobbled together, and I dont' think much of it is stock. It was a tow truck for the first half of it's life, then a local fishermans truck. They hacked and slashed everything.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I can come up with any wiring harness you may need for a '92 12V truck.
Yeah, PM me whole harness price, I am going to dig into this soon. IN this pic it is being used to evacuate ourselves from the path of hot lava from our volcano. It went on to evacuate horses, cows, goats and two families. It deserves the VIP treatment.

The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:44 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
What, Hawaii wasn't extreme enough for you so you moved to Alaska???

Are those the wheels or hub caps on the truck?
Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by CruisingRam
The real issue is that the wiring is all cobbled together, and I dont' think much of it is stock. It was a tow truck for the first half of it's life, then a local fishermans truck. They hacked and slashed everything.
Still not really an issue...most of the stuff is plug and play and can only be hooked up one way, and to one connection. Get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) and it will help with the wiring since it shows the color(s) and gauge of the wires and to what they are running to. And if there is anything you are unsure about just ask us here...we'll be able to figure it out toot-sweet.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (10-22-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Still not really an issue...most of the stuff is plug and play and can only be hooked up one way, and to one connection. Get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) and it will help with the wiring since it shows the color(s) and gauge of the wires and to what they are running to. And if there is anything you are unsure about just ask us here...we'll be able to figure it out toot-sweet.
Yeah, been talking with Oliver about the harness, will probably have to sell some blood or a first born and just get it.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
What, Hawaii wasn't extreme enough for you so you moved to Alaska???

Are those the wheels or hub caps on the truck?

Hub caps- you got it backwards, spent about 40 years in Alaska, last 10 in Hawaii.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:36 PM

Oh, one other question, what is my range of years I should shoot for on the cab? I am sure it will not be a 92, that would be too easy.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Oh yea, I think you explained that Alaska/Hawaii thing on another thread now that I think about it...

I know '92 & '93 are the same. Not sure how far back before you get subtle changes in body lines, dash, etc. BUT a bunch on here will know!
Old 10-26-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by KRB
Oh yea, I think you explained that Alaska/Hawaii thing on another thread now that I think about it...

I know '92 & '93 are the same. Not sure how far back before you get subtle changes in body lines, dash, etc. BUT a bunch on here will know!
Since I am on the big island, I have to take what is offered honestly. So whatever cab I get, that is what I will have to make due with.

Here's another pic- the plan is to make it a bit of a call back to "lil red exprese" - even having vinyl lettering made, but instead - it will be "big red express" LOL
Old 10-26-2020, 05:17 PM

I am just about to fred flinstone level of rust on underside of cab
Old 10-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I believe body wise the cabs from 85/86 onward are the same. Dashes and core supports differ but the physical body lines are the same.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
'81-'93 the body lines are the same.
'72-'80 body lines are the same.

The wiring, dash, gauge cluster, steering column, controls, ETC changes a lot more often than that though.

The easiest would be to find a '92/'93 diesel cab to swap on, as it would be "plug and play".

Or like one of my '85 crew cabs, that looks like a '92 from the driver seat, just swap around a bunch of "little" stuff you will have left over from your old rusty cab.

Quick Reply: Big, complicated, hairy question