1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Beefing-Up My A518 Transmission (Updated As It Occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by txs
I'm guessing by what I get from your posts that you cut down the pressure plate in the rear clutch on the side that touches the bellville washer? To quote dire straits "oh, that ain't workin". If you have access to a surface grinder you can take half of what you need off the top (the flat side) of the pressure plate. The other half gets taken off the top of the reaction plate (that's what I call the top thick plate in the clutches, don't know the offishul name) by lathe or grinder.
Yeah, that dished piston spring is suppose to be sitting against the very back of it's groove in the drum (opposite the plastic spacer). My milling that pivot-point of the pressure plate had that piston spring move forward taking up the new space I made. This compressed the plastic spacer and wave snap-ring. With the piston spring now moved froward, and now pressing on the pressure plate, the outer diameter of the piston spring can no longer pivot on the back of it's groove. The piston continues forward, literally inverting the piston spring which now puts the outer diameter in contact with the back of the drum groove. That's the loud thump. Won't work.
- While I can mill the face of the pressure plate, it'll get thin on the outer tabs that engage the drum. That alone won't provide enough room.
- Milling the face of the reaction plate won't help in this application. I need to move the entire clutch/steel pack deeper into the drum. Not make things wider to fit the pack.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
While I can mill the face of the pressure plate, it'll get thin on the outer tabs that engage the drum. That alone won't provide enough room.
- Milling the face of the reaction plate won't help in this application. I need to move the entire clutch/steel pack deeper into the drum. Not make things wider to fit the pack.
Thinner Clutches ??
Thinner Steels ??
Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by unixcowboy
Thinner Clutches ??
Thinner Steels ??
Both are the thinest commonly available.

@ txs. I'm done messing with it. If I slip the thing, I'll check with A$A and get one of the custom pressure plates. I'm led to believe i can put over 1000hp-ft/lbs through the 4 disk setup with no problem.
It'd be a LOT simpler if one could find a rear annulus with about 1/4" more spline length.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM
1st Generation Admin

Smile

Well after four months of dragging my behind using a number of different reasons (coming up with the funds for the upgrades being one), I've finally gotten the heap back on the road.

- As far as the transmission goes, being that the majority of the beefing-up was with updating the gear-sets, there's not really anything to report. I didn't make any changes in the valve-body. With that, the truck drives as it should. No leaks, weird sounds, etc.
- Tightening the torque converter has however effected getting the truck moving as it takes a little more throttle to get on top of the turbos (smoky). Thomas with M&H Performance has been kind enough to grind me a custom pin that appears to help with low boost smoke. Thrifty application of the throttle cleans up no boost conditions.The engine rpms are now 1750 @ 55mph in overdrive. A full throttle blast has the EGTs and boost up a little indicating more load on the engine.
At this point, I've not done any boosted launches as frankly, I'm chicken. Thursday night's "Run What Ya Brung" will be here soon enough.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweeeet... Some action videos would be awesome
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, glad to hear the project is back on the road.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

Glad to hear it, you need to get a tow rig so you can hammer on it without being skeered.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 PM

So You Finally Got Her Built Again Congrats
So Your Gonna Be At Dunn-benson Thurs Night?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by FASTRTHNU2
So Your Gonna Be At Dunn-benson Thurs Night?
Yup, weather permitting.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
1st Generation Admin

Smile

Name:  CMontyBurns.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  10.3 KB
Excellent

Name:  812at850.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  120.5 KB Name:  812at910.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  111.6 KB

The modified SunCoast torque converter has an apparent BIG impact compared to what it was before. It appears to be good for almost two tenths of a second in the eighth changing nothing else. Still gotta dial in the trans shift points. All else of the trans seems to work correctly.

FWIW: Gotta "fly-by" vid .. . .

From a best of 8.27 to 8.12, I'm pleased.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, hauling some grass
Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 AM

What was your mph I can't read the time slip from my phone.

Quick Reply: Beefing-Up My A518 Transmission (Updated As It Occurs)