1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Beefing-Up My A518 Transmission (Updated As It Occurs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Finally, I can install the oil pump / input shaft support assembly and check the end-play.

Name:  Check-End-Play-1.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  116.3 KB

Too tight. I'm gonna have to install a thinner thrust washer either between the input and intermediate shaft and/or the front clutch's thrust washer. Either way, a parts run is in order.

Name:  Too-Loose.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  90.5 KB

I'm still dinking with the valve-body. Perhaps I can finish it tomorrow (Sunday).

Last edited by BC847; 07-28-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Changed from too loose, to too tight.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makes me glad I printed off the first build thread and had my tranny guy copy it on my 518
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
1st Generation Admin

Again txs, I DO appreciate all the helpful suggestions.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
1st Generation Admin

In the last image above, the micrometer shows 0.027(.5)" total end-play (I had originally posted that was too loose). That is in fact too tight. The FSM wants 0.034 ~ 0.084". I would need to loosen it up by 6.5 thousandths to meet the minimum required.

I've got the full set (including those currently in use) of both the selectable thrust washers that go between the intermediate clutch drum and the input shaft support, and those that go between the input and intermediate shaft.

Between the two sets of selectable thrust washers, I was able to swap things around enough to arrive at 0.040" total end-play. (On the snug side of the acceptable range).

Unfortunately, that throws my adjustments of the bombed forward clutch-pack out the window.

Frankly, I'm done with it. I'm having a fit trying to get the 5-disc clutch-pack to ride the associated internal hub correctly (that being the splines on the external diameter of the front planetary's annulus gear). Correctly being that whether applied, or released, all the disc's splines must remain fully engaged with that internal hub.
I've been told now by at least two big-gun diesel transmission builders that they are putting well over a thousand ft/lbs through the four disc setup with no problems. My dinky little self don't need no 5-disc forward clutch. I was informed that when I burn the 4-disc deal, THEN worry with the 5-disc deal.

So be it. Crap! I don't know what I'm gonna do with it right now.

I reckon I'll reconfigure that clutch-pack tomorrow night and then finally button-up the main case. I've still got to take care of an issue with the valve-body. I'd like to think I can have it all together by this weekend (I said that last week ).
SunCoast should receive the torque converter Thursday. They're gonna clean it up and take an additional 0.010" off here or there, while they are inside the thing.

Still hot outside.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
I can't imagine how finicky it must be to tear into one of these transmissions, I thought I had patience doing the body work on my truck. I look at all the pictures of the guts of that 518 and I quiver...
Hope all the time and effort turns out for yea David!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by txs
.027" will be fine, I have built them with less than that.
I was wondering about that as the factory spec offer a LOT of leg room.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Generation Admin

Well, shoot .. .. .

I finally got to completing the valve-body. With discovering that crack in the shifter mount of the current upper section, I had to revert to my original. The stick in the mud was that I had drilled a couple of holes in it as part of an earlier shift-kit thing. With my current VB tuning, I didn't need those holes so I had to figure out how to plug them. Getting that out of the way allowed my to reassemble the valve-body for installation.

Just for grins and giggles . . . Let's say you're having an "Extra Special" day and dumped all the ***** out of the upper valve-body. DOH! Name:  scare3.gif
Views: 1920
Size:  4.0 KB

Here's where they go . . .

Name:  Where-The-*****-Go.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  214.3 KB

There's also a couple in the transfer-plate . . .

Name:  Transfer-Plate-*****.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  223.1 KB

NOTE: You may have a ball or two less than that shown above pending your Shift-Kit and application.

Speaking of that transfer-plate, as part of a general trans overhaul, there's a little transmission fluid filter that is located in the separator-plate. If not properly installed, that filter can wiggle around and potentially be damaged with wear. See the C-shaped skid marks? . . .

Name:  Filter-Skid-Marks.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  213.0 KB

To prevent this, notice the tang on one side of the filter . . .

Name:  Filter-Tang.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  111.4 KB

When installed correctly, that tang will be located as shown . ..

Name:  Locate-Filter-Tang.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  157.2 KB

All the Allen-head screws are torqued to 35 in/lbs.

Name:  35-Inch-Pounds.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  174.0 KB

OK, fine. So prior to mounting the valve-body, using compressed air, I tested each of the clutch-packs and servos for proper operation. Everything works as it should . . . except for the forward clutch. It's engaging with a loud thud. Name:  banging.gif
Views: 1937
Size:  15.6 KB

At the end of the day, that forward clutch pressure-plate that I machined, is designed such that it acts as a fulcrum for the forward clutch disc spring.
- The outer edge of that spring rides against a groove in the forward drum. When the clutch piston is applied, it moves forward the inner diameter of the spring. With the outer diameter of the spring in a fixed location, the spring acts as a lever. The pressure-plate acts as a fulcrum for said lever with the result being substantially increased apply pressure to the clutch-pack.

Yeah, well, . . . my machining that pressure-plate obviously altered the location of the fulcrum of the assembly. The end result is that with applying the piston, the whole spring has to move forward a little to compensate for that metal machined off (the wave snap-ring is compressed with said action). In doing so, the outer diameter of the clutch-spring is no longer fixed in it's proper place. With that, the clutch piston now makes a substantially longer stroke and is in fact, inverting the spring (it's a bowl shaped spring by the way). That's the loud thump I'm hearing. This won't do. >Sigh<

I had a spare OEM pressure-plate and went ahead and installed that. I tried every approach to moving that clutch-pack around that I could think of. From one angle of moving the clutch-pack itself (short of further machine work), to another of moving the inner hub to better suit the clutch-discs (shims behind that planet's thrust-washer). No love.

I went ahead and rebuilt the forward clutch-pack to factory/OEM specs with four clutches and steels. If I want to pursue increasing the clutch-steel count on my forward clutch, I'm gonna have to find an annulus gear for the front planetary gear-set that has longer splines for the forward clutch.

Now testing all the clutches and servos with compressed air again has them all work correctly. So I installed the valve-body and buttoned it up with a new fluid filter.

It's sitting out back with a fresh coat of satin black paint drying.

I'm hoping to have the converter back from SunCoast by this week's end.

In the mean time, I've got to make a mount for the exhaust down-pipe so as to attach it proper to one of the transmission, bell-housing bolts. That and rebuild the transfer-case.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I should probably inspect my trans before stuffing it into my heap, i would hate to have to do that twice...
This has been very informational and helpful and has me re-thinking my ability to do this, you haven't lost me yet on terminology or functionality of this trans. how about special tools?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
1st Generation Admin

With the exception of the summer heat beating the snot out of me, the trans upgrading is fun (to me). The challenge of doing something that wasn't meant to be. Certainly all the help I've gotten from everyone has made it easier. But still, taking the micrometer and having things fall where the FSM expects to see them is cool. I think the biggest thrill for me is coming to a better understanding as to how things work by laying hands on it.

As far as special tools go, . .

The tools for the overdrive sections no doubt.
- The cage to compress the big spring be it that which works with your shop press .. . .

Name:  AalignmentTool.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  5.6 KB

Or that which works on it's own . . .

Name:  48RE_Compressor.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  10.6 KB

That first image shows a tool that mimics the intermediate shaft and allows one to align the OD clutch splines and planetary gear-set. I just used the intermediate shaft itself for that job.

Otherwise, the typical Snap-Ring pliers . . .

Name:  SnapRingPliers.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  19.1 KB

An assortment of picks . .

Name:  Pick.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  2.3 KB

A magnetic mount for the micrometer used in checking final end-play . . .

Name:  MicrometerStand.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  3.4 KB

As well as a caliper type micrometer that includes a means of measuring depth . . .

Name:  Determine-OD-Piston-Spacer.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  142.4 KB

I used the common back-yard mechanic tools to fill in for many of the so-called special tools. Big C-clamps and sockets for removing the servo C-clips for example. Let your imagination fly!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well luckily i have a spare...being in two pieces makes it easier to disassemble.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 PM
1st Generation Admin

SunCoast is gonna be able to tighten the converter a little. It's gonna cost a new billet stator though. Should have it back by Monday at the latest.

Got the transfer case in a number of pieces.

Quick Reply: Beefing-Up My A518 Transmission (Updated As It Occurs)