1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Autometer Pyro Udate

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autometer Pyro Udate

I recieved my package back from autometer today. the turn around at thier facility was 2 days (almost 1) they missed the ups man by about 5 minutes. they sent me a brand new old style gague with everything. so i have an extra intermediate wire, 2 weld 1/8th npt fittings and another mount fititng along with an extra light pigtail and all the other little goodies. here are the temp difference updates. i test all performance upgrades on a hill by my house, it is straight and very steep, i usually test 0-60, and keep an eye on the distance it takes me to do it. here are the results...
Faulty probe,
ambient temp: 90+*, 1050* at the top of the hill
Old style probe
ambient temp: 70*, 1475* at the top of the hill

the needle was a blur it moved so fast, when i hit it hard by the end of 3rd gear i am at about 1200. if you have the "bullet" style autometer probe, drive nice till you can get it swapped out! i was gonna get some pics of the 2 of them but the camera is on the fritz i will post some highway differences tonight.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Thats good to know. What was there number again? I got my gauges (Z-series autometer) off of Ebay. They were brand new in the box. The company was very slow getting them to me, to the tune of about a month and a half so I would rather buy new gauges then go thru them for an exchange.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM

I gotta call them again and see what they can do about my boost and pyro . I'm scared to see what my "real" EGTs are going to be!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM

*new member* ive learned a lot..and that helps me limit down my choices a bit on which brand but im still looking...i bought my truck about 3 or 4 months ago and found out that it used to have gauges so all i need would be the gauges themselves and a pod correct???? what would you guys suggest...brands, types, pyro boost fp..etc thanx
Old 09-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gman_dodge
*new member* ive learned a lot..and that helps me limit down my choices a bit on which brand but im still looking...i bought my truck about 3 or 4 months ago and found out that it used to have gauges so all i need would be the gauges themselves and a pod correct???? what would you guys suggest...brands, types, pyro boost fp..etc thanx
Does your truck already have all the sending units in place? If so, then you could probably get away with just gauges if you know what brand they are.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:30 PM

So you would have to match up the brand gauges with the sending units...cause it does have at least the egt and boost ive noticed. havent seen any sign of FP sensor tho.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gman_dodge
So you would have to match up the brand gauges with the sending units...cause it does have at least the egt and boost ive noticed. havent seen any sign of FP sensor tho.
I'm guessing here, but I bet you could get away with any boost gauge but I think the pyro might be brand specific.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:32 PM

Alright i guess that sounds right ud think so anyway thanx for your help
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM

in that case what will be the best choice as far as quality for a good price.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ilikebikes
I'm guessing here, but I bet you could get away with any boost gauge but I think the pyro might be brand specific.
Ah, the pyro's just a thermocouple; I'm sure that'd be universal too. (What kind of thermocouple is it, though? Type K I do believe? I don't remember...)

You could always get digital thermocouple controllers and use them to meter water injection and "woop-woop" alarms. That'd be fun. (Or wastegates... Do they make electric wastegates?)
Old 09-25-2006, 05:48 PM

I bought autometers. I've only hooked 2 of the 3 up and both are faulty. At this time, I'd go with others, like ISSPro gauges (I think that's what they're called).
Old 09-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Yes it is isspro ive seen those and they look pretty good but not sure how good they work. Anybody have those gauges?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:59 PM

I'm running isspro boost and pyro,.....love'm haven't had a problem..............

I however do like the way autometer has stepped up to the plate and are taking care of the problem........Promply

the reason i when with the isspro was becuse i liked the look of there pyro guage!!!!!........and that it said it was desined for the pre turbo(go's in the manifold) install
Old 09-25-2006, 06:04 PM

guages

I have the 4k rpm isspro tach mounted in the pillar,works like a champ. unclemarc
Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 PM

does anybody know the best way and or place to buy gauges only..

Quick Reply: Autometer Pyro Udate