1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone here ever check the temps on their rear drums?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey, Farmboy, that visor. Has it always been on there or is that a recent add on? I'm probably gonna get my rig painted before summer is up, and I was considering one of those, as they give the truck a different look.
KRB- your hauling steer and those are the temps you got? I drive to Orileys and back and my temps are in the 140's and 170's. Way more light braking than yours for sure, as your pulling weight.
Edwin- you got the jokes for sure you funny guy you
Yeah But you have to take HWY. 49 that is Bound to be lots of brakes from Dry Creek through town. Watch out for bums on that part of the road. the wander out into traffic every day lately.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
Yeah But you have to take HWY. 49 that is Bound to be lots of brakes from Dry Creek through town. Watch out for bums on that part of the road. the wander out into traffic every day lately.
So true. That is, about the multiple brake points. Haven't had any bums run out yet. See them, but not in the middle of the road.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
So true. That is, about the multiple brake points. Haven't had any bums run out yet. See them, but not in the middle of the road.
Out here in LaLa Land we have a lot of bums and a lot more squeaky little toy cars that like to jump out in front of you. That's why I got this bumper.

The following users liked this post:
1STGENFARMBOY (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Out here in LaLa Land we have a lot of bums and a lot more squeaky little toy cars that like to jump out in front of you. That's why I got this bumper.

Trucks looking good, Edwin. That black wheel well over the duelly sets it off.
By chance, back in the day there used to be a grille guard made specifically for our rigs. But they were seen more on the ramchargers. When you were shopping for that grille guard, you ever happen to see if those were still available?
Did you add those running lights on top of the cab? That looks sharp with the white.

Oh, and What's the other side of your truck look like, LOL?
Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM

Oh, lastly, Edwin, that hood of yours is screaming for a ram head ornament, the one with the eyes that light up. JC Whiney has them, last I checked when I bought mine back in 2006. You'll be the envy of that neighborhood, for sure.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Trucks looking good, Edwin. That black wheel well over the duelly sets it off.
By chance, back in the day there used to be a grille guard made specifically for our rigs. But they were seen more on the ramchargers. When you were shopping for that grille guard, you ever happen to see if those were still available?
Did you add those running lights on top of the cab? That looks sharp with the white.

Oh, and What's the other side of your truck look like, LOL?
I had the truck back in KS getting the body straightened and painted. That took about 11 years. (Don't ask) I wanted a nice bumper because the stock bumper was all bent up so I found this fellow who was making these to order. I paid $700 for it. I don't know what else they make bumperwise but I can PM you the details if you wish.

The cab lights are Dodge Stock and I just prepped and painted them. I put LED bulbs in them and LED marker lights all around. The parking/Tail/turn lights are still conventional.

Here's the other side.

Thanks for the complements.

Edwin
Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Oh, lastly, Edwin, that hood of yours is screaming for a ram head ornament, the one with the eyes that light up. JC Whiney has them, last I checked when I bought mine back in 2006. You'll be the envy of that neighborhood, for sure.
I had a stock one that disappeared but the body man says he's still looking for it. I'm debating whether to get the one with the lit eyes or just the stock one. I think about it every time I see the holes in the hood.

DO you have a pic of yours at night?

Edwin
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM

I had a stock one that disappeared but the body man says he's still looking for it. I'm debating whether to get the one with the lit eyes or just the stock one. I think about it every time I see the holes in the hood.

DO you have a pic of yours at night?

Edwin
Just took this for you. Trucks inside the garage, where it kind of dim.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here ever check the temps on their rear drums?-image.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (06-21-2017), mknittle (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 PM

Here's a side view. So, it's tied in to my headlights, so they only come on when those are switched on. Can't believe I'm still on the original bulb on that thing.
I'm debating, when I get my truck repainted the factory black and gold, to maybe have the ram head painted up in black.

I've been lucky, that no ones messed with it. Knock on wood, LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone here ever check the temps on their rear drums?-image.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Edwin, that grille guard of yours, where it wraps around the sides, how much clearance do you have between the grille guard bar and the front panel? Looks pretty tight?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Edwin, that grille guard of yours, where it wraps around the sides, how much clearance do you have between the grille guard bar and the front panel? Looks pretty tight?
It IS VERY tight. About 3/8 inch on each side. When we first tried it it was to tight so I had to get them to stretch it out some. I want to put a few more bolts in the frame to bumper mount since I think 4 is not enough. I need to do the back bumper also. Both bumpers add about 400 pounds to the weight of the truck I think. Without the shell it comes in at 5550 pounds. I literally want to be able to push cars out of my way if I need to. Stuff happens in the big city.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 PM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Edwin, first time I've seen your truck! Sweet! I like the black duellies too. Glad it is symetrical (same on both sides...)

Bigragu, it was basically normal driving, I just had a load behind, no serious braking to make temps higher. I spent a lot of time adjusting when I did the seals. Basically just got them to when the wheel spun I could hear a little drag. Thats the way I've always done it.

Farmboy, I'll holler at you next time I'm down there in case you are close, would love to see that truck in person - ok maybe not, it would be like your girlfriend is way more prettier than mine... She is moving apartments the end of July and I'll be hauling all that stuff around. You ever camp at LBL?
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
edwinsmith (06-21-2017), mknittle (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:57 PM

It IS VERY tight. About 3/8 inch on each side. When we first tried it it was to tight so I had to get them to stretch it out some. I want to put a few more bolts in the frame to bumper mount since I think 4 is not enough. I need to do the back bumper also. Both bumpers add about 400 pounds to the weight of the truck I think. Without the shell it comes in at 5550 pounds. I literally want to be able to push cars out of my way if I need to. Stuff happens in the big city.
If you don't mind me asking, Edwin, what kind of mileage are you getting with that extra weight?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM

If you don't mind me asking, Edwin, what kind of mileage are you getting with that extra weight?
Anywhere between 18.5 and 21 MPG depending on slope and which way the wind is blowing. I was hoping the camper shell would help but it didn't. I probably need to get my injectors serviced.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:54 PM

18-21 mpg's are great!!! Try 12mpg's!!! With an unloaded truck!