1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anyone here ever check the temps on their rear drums?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
I don't know if it is scientific or not, but when I converted to disks, all of my brake problems went away. Everything else, including the dump valve, is still intact. It sure seems to point to the drums and all the related rear drum equipment as being at fault for the crumby brakes...Mark Edit: as a side note, I didn't weld anything and if a future owner wishes to put back the drums, It would be just a bolt on process...
There ain't gonna be no future owner none, LOL( using Fathers Day type of grammar). You's married to that there truck, that's right! Besides, whose gonna add to the stickies, LOL!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
There ain't gonna be no future owner none, LOL( using Fathers Day type of grammar). You's married to that there truck, that's right! Besides, whose gonna add to the stickies, LOL!
Augie, you are right, I'll probably be buried in it, that is if I ever die , It's hard to find stuff that isn't already in the stickies, I guess that weird stuff breaks on my rig...Mark
Old 06-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Feeling for you guys out west. Watched the weather channel talking about the 124+ degree temps in death valley, and not much cooler in the surrounding areas.

I was in San Francisco cali in 1990, and experienced 115* f weather. I was young. Much thinner, and had greater tolerance for hot weather. I just couldn't handle that temp now.not in a million...

85* f is miserable to me..
Stay hydrated...
I enjoy the heat - it seems to keep all of your so-called "rust" scared away.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Feeling for you guys out west. Watched the weather channel talking about the 124+ degree temps in death valley, and not much cooler in the surrounding areas.

I was in San Francisco cali in 1990, and experienced 115* f weather. I was young. Much thinner, and had greater tolerance for hot weather. I just couldn't handle that temp now.not in a million...

85* f is miserable to me..
Stay hydrated...
110* Here today. supposed to last through Thursday.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
110* Here today. supposed to last through Thursday.
I just checked and my rear drums are about 75* but then my truck hasn't moved in 2 days.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (06-19-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Did anyone catch Vice on HBO Friday night? They went to Russia to talk to regular people about global warming. They like it, it is much warmer there now, the go to vacation destination to bask in the sun. Only problem is millions of acres of forest in Siberia are burning. Oh well, the bad with the good...Mark

HBO: VICE: Episode 57: Synopsis

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/f...28-russia.html
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
When ever I have the axles unbolted I always adjust the drums because you can get a free spin on the drum and get it where they just start rubbing.

other than doing that I don't know how to get them just right.

I do have the axles unbolted more than others probably as I am paranoid about the rear bearings not having lube.

One time I rebuild the entire diff and I thought I dipped the exles good enough but found out 3 states away with the truck camper on the truck that I didn't do a good job of it, cost me $700 bucks for a jack leg to rig-it good enough for me to make it back to my shop.

now at least once a month I drive my truck on the side of a steep hill in the pasture, and once a year I check the bearings.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
When ever I have the axles unbolted I always adjust the drums because you can get a free spin on the drum and get it where they just start rubbing.

other than doing that I don't know how to get them just right.

I do have the axles unbolted more than others probably as I am paranoid about the rear bearings not having lube.

One time I rebuild the entire diff and I thought I dipped the exles good enough but found out 3 states away with the truck camper on the truck that I didn't do a good job of it, cost me $700 bucks for a jack leg to rig-it good enough for me to make it back to my shop.

now at least once a month I drive my truck on the side of a steep hill in the pasture, and once a year I check the bearings.
Yeah, that's a good point. Starting right now, I'm telling myself that the next time I open up that drum, wether it be for bearings, seals, etc., I will always adjust the drum to shoe clearances before I shove that axle back in. I've done it once, and it truly is an effective method. I'm half tempted to do it now, but with the heat outside, the thought of gear oil spewing out, buying new gaskets that nobody seems to have in stock, and the thought of opening up another can of worms, I think I'm going to take Edwin's original comment and quit worrying about it, LOL!
Thanks, though, Farmboy!

Hey, really quick, why haven't you posted pics of your rig lately? You're probably in the top ten of having one of the most immaculate rigs, especially for a truly working truck. Need to see more pics of that thing! Don't care if your hauling hay with it, just show us!
mknittle (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Yeah, that's a good point. Starting right now, I'm telling myself that the next time I open up that drum, wether it be for bearings, seals, etc., I will always adjust the drum to shoe clearances before I shove that axle back in. I've done it once, and it truly is an effective method. I'm half tempted to do it now, but with the heat outside, the thought of gear oil spewing out, buying new gaskets that nobody seems to have in stock, and the thought of opening up another can of worms, I think I'm going to take Edwin's original comment and quit worrying about it, LOL!
Thanks, though, Farmboy!

Hey, really quick, why haven't you posted pics of your rig lately? You're probably in the top ten of having one of the most immaculate rigs, especially for a truly working truck. Need to see more pics of that thing! Don't care if your hauling hay with it, just show us!

Here's a few.

This is what job it does the most.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 PM

That's one sweet ride!
1STGENFARMBOY (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 PM

I wonder what the other side looks like.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:45 PM

That is a sweet ride!! Thanks, Farmboy! My favorite one, though, is the one with all your JD equipment in tow, at a local fuel station. Best one yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
1STGENFARMBOY (06-21-2017), mknittle (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
That is a beautiful truck! Are you near western KY? I make it down to Murray a few times a year where my oldest daughter and goddaughter is in school.

Edwin - that made me laugh. Maybe it is a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde truck?

Bigragu - for grins and giggles I measured my drums yesterday although I totally agreed with the aforementioned multiple variables etc.. Ambient temp in the 70*s at 6:30 am. Hauled two steers to the butcher about 35 miles away with very little but normal braking and got 97* and 110*. Return trip empty and they were 100* and 112*. I adjusted them several thousand miles ago when I replaced my axle seals.
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
1STGENFARMBOY (06-21-2017), bigragu (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM

Hey, Farmboy, that visor. Has it always been on there or is that a recent add on? I'm probably gonna get my rig painted before summer is up, and I was considering one of those, as they give the truck a different look.
KRB- your hauling steer and those are the temps you got? I drive to Orileys and back and my temps are in the 140's and 170's. Way more light braking than yours for sure, as your pulling weight.
Edwin- you got the jokes for sure you funny guy you
edwinsmith (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:19 AM

KRB...

I get down to Paducah pretty often but any more south or west is only when we are headed out on a trip, Paducah is only 45 miles from me.

Ragu...

the visor went on shortly after I did the dually conversion, I like the look but lost some MPG, even after opening up the vent slots in the visor.

PS the other side looks the same........
The following 2 users liked this post by 1STGENFARMBOY:
edwinsmith (06-21-2017), mknittle (06-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever check the temps on their rear drums?