1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Any 1st gens running WVO or Bio

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any 1st gens running WVO or Bio

I was wondering if our trucks are new enough to not have to worry about rubber seals failing in our injection pump. I heard arounf 1990 they stopped using rubber orings? If using WVO what % are you mixing it with diesel? 50%
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried bio with the '89, but have mixed 5% filtered WMO with diesel with no problems so far.

I ran B99 in the '01 Ram I used to own, but had already installed a fuel pressure gauge. The stories you hear about bio having higher solvent properties was true in my case– I went through a couple fuel filters, but after that, I ran it with no problems. It was a little more expensive than #2, and I got slightly less mpg with it.

The truck ran noticeably quieter, and kind of smelled like fried food. This was not homebrewed bio, it was made in Colorado and shipped by rail to AZ Petroleum here in Tucson.

The rotary pump (I've been told) needs different seals to run biodiesel. Maybe B5 or B20 might work, but I haven't tried it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM

I run up to (but not over) 100% home brewed biodiesel in mine no leaking noticed yet. Heading to Iowa in a few minutes pulling a U-Haul car trailer, I'll post back with mileage results.
The reason the engine gets quieter on bio or WVO is that biofuels tends to burn a little slower, same effect as retarding the timing.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Im not sure i understand "up to but not over 100%"? Since you make your own biodiesl wouldnt that be 100%? Or do you cut it on purpose or are we talking about WVO?

with prices skyrocketing im seriously thinking about tryng it. Did you make your own processor to make your biodiesel?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
The guy down the road from me runs strait 100% WVO, after he gets it hot on diesel he switches it over.

i can ask him if he has had any trouble if you would like... but i pretty much know he hasen't,

it's a beautiful white W250 auto with somewhere around 100,000 miles on it last i talked to him.

he has been running an old benz for a long time and a rabbit, and now his son runs it in some Diesel zerow turn mowers.

Dar
Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
The guy down the road from me runs strait 100% WVO, after he gets it hot on diesel he switches it over.

i can ask him if he has had any trouble if you would like... but i pretty much know he hasen't,

it's a beautiful white W250 auto with somewhere around 100,000 miles on it last i talked to him.

he has been running an old benz for a long time and a rabbit, and now his son runs it in some Diesel zerow turn mowers.

Dar

sure thanks! have you thought about it?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 PM

I have over 50,000 miles on WVO. It is a two tank system. 12-valves are great with wvo. The only real issue is heat. Intercooled engines run cool, so you will need to get creative with heating your wvo.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by jesussaves
sure thanks! have you thought about it?
I have but it's getting hard to find free WVO around where i live now.

when he started about 18 years ago people would pay him to take it now the only ones he can get for free is the loyal mam and pop dinners that he frequents on sundays and for lunch.

i think the word has gottin out about it.

he has an elaberate heating and filtering system in his barn that he uses to get it ready to burn.

he heats it up and pumps it through a couple 2 micron filters then he stores it till he is ready to use it.

he told me he can go 3,000 miles on a tank of diesel, ( thats well over 120mpg) and really cant tell any difference in power when he switches it over the cooking oil.

I see him and his wife every sunday going to church in it.

I will talk to his son-in-law ( my cousin) as soon as i can and find out some of the in's and out's of his system.

whats funny is when were in traffic and you get a wiff of french fries or fish i'm like (man i can't believe i can smell McDonalds from here) and then the traffic opens up and there he is.

Dar
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Im not sure i understand "up to but not over 100%"?
I think that was just a little joke

I've heard of running 50/50 WVO/diesel when its WARM out. Like, about 70*F everyday. I tried only 10% 2 years ago in the summer to test it when I was setting up my biodiesel processor. I ended up frying my injection pump due to an emulsified oil I got. It was my fault for not doing the "crackle" test (putting some in a hot frying pan and if it crackles, there is water). I did let it settle for 3 days in a clear jar, even in the microwave for a few minutes to see if anything settled out. It did not, but there was water in it. I later tested it with diesel in it and shook it up. The water instantly fell out when mixed with diesel!

Anyway, be very careful when doing this. If you do a 2 tank system that is heated, that is the best way to do WVO.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM

could you throw in a bottle of heet for a easy fix?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM

if it was enough water to seize my injection pump, I don't think HEET would take care of it. I think that's for more small ice crystals freezing up and clogging filters slowly. Maybe 1/4 of this oil was water and I didn't see it until I added diesel and shook it up.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Yepper, kidding about running more than 100% biodiesel.
I am in Iowa now, hook up to my new project in the morning and head back to Kentucky.
Pulling an empty U-Haul car trailer and fighting a head wind most of the day I got 17.28 MPG on ~75% biodiesel. About a buck a gallon.
I can live like that.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Im not sure i understand "up to but not over 100%"? Since you make your own biodiesl wouldnt that be 100%? Or do you cut it on purpose or are we talking about WVO?

with prices skyrocketing im seriously thinking about tryng it. Did you make your own processor to make your biodiesel?
Home brew biodiesel. About a buck a gallon after you build a processor.
I buy methanol in 55 gallon drums and KOH in 50 pound bags.
I try to use low acid oil, basic single stage process and a water wash. No sweat once you do it a couple of times.
Look up the "Dr. Pepper" method, it's a great way to start and build up some confidence. Can do it in the kitchen.
Grease is plentiful where I am, I gave away 600 gallons a couple of weeks ago.
Still swimming in it.
And these beasts will still go fast on biofuels.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I had run one gallon of filter WMO for a few tanks, with nearly no discernible smoke or anything. With the price of diesel rising I decided to try 2 gallons this last fill. So it was 2 gallons WMO to 16.5 gallons diesel. It smokes a lot more now, especially in the morning when warming up.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM

well i guess before i get all excited i probably should see if i can source some WVO

Quick Reply: Any 1st gens running WVO or Bio