1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Running Veg Oil Rough Idle till warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Veg Oil Rough Idle till warmed up

Hello.

I dumped veg oil into my tank at a ratio of about 70% veg and 30% diesel. The only difference I notice is that it idles rough when just started, but with a little throttle it is fine. And after 5 minutes or so of driving, it idles like a champ.
Has anyone here installed injector line heaters? Would they help with this? Looking for any suggestions? Can I raise my idle just a bit? Any info on this topic would be helpful. I live in Hawaii where the weather is warm all year round. I have been running a 99 TDI Beetle with veg oil for over 1 year, and all I have done to it is add injector line heaters.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might try thinning it just a bit w/ 10% kerosene and 5% regular unleaded (with some Diesel Kleen additive). That's merely what I do, but you do what you're comfortable with.
But it sounds like you have an air leak that may seal itself after the engine warms up a bit.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:23 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Veg oil is too thick for a "cold engine". Sounds like you are right at the point where you have almost too much veg and not enough dino. A cold snap might leve you stranded (if that kind of thing is possible in your area). Thin it with som Dino diesel or kero as ststed above. (#2 is better for the VE than Kero)
Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

where do i look first for an air leak?

thanks.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My question is, does the rough idle occur when running 100% dino diesel? If not, then I wouldn't be looking for an air leak, or at least it would be much lower on the list of possible problems.

Chris
Old 07-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Sounds normal too me for that amount of veg. Straight heated veg will lower the idle on a Bnez or a rabbit. Probally the same on these.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Banned

I would either cut it with more dino or get a two tank system. You get a bad spray pattern from the injectors when the oil it cold and thick. Not good. Think of trying to spray butter through a windex bottle. Once your engine warms up, the oil thins out, viscosity is better, better spray pattern, better and more complete burn in the combustion chamber, better idle. I would also go so far to say that if you continue to use cold oil in a cold engine at start-up, you will clog the rings through bad combustion and start to damage the engine. As well, cold oil is hard on the IP, even if they are quite strong. Again, not good.
If you mix the dino by dumping in oil on top of it in the main tank you will find that most of the oil will settle straight to the bottom. Driving the truck is not enough to mix it. You would be far better to pre-mix the oil and dino first. Take a clear juice bottle, fill it 1/2 with dino, add oil and watch most of it go straight down. Try mixing it by moving the bottle back and forth, like the motion of your truck. It still won't mix. Once you do get it mixed, it will stay that way, it will not separate out.
You could install line heaters and they would probably help. You can make them or order them online from any number of WVO conversion companies.

Fill out your signature. I am assuming you have a 2gen truck with a P7100 IP.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM

diesel's don't idle rough because of intake leaks like a gas pot does. They don't have throttle plates to regulate the idle. Idle is controlled by the injection pump alone. It idles rough because the duel is too thick. I run mine on staright used atf and cold morning it idles rough but a trip around the block and it's fine.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM

rough idle.

If you turn your idle it will cure this. like said the oil will idle lower. and pluging your block in will help. my best blended mix has been 10% unleaded. 10% #2, or JP5. then 80% filtered and dewatered oil. i filter my oil down to 5 micron. onec you run your truck on a blended mix the veg oil acts like crack to the VE pump. either thin your mixture, or turn your idle up. I have been doing this for over a year.

Bob.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I run 100% biodiesel in my 95, my 91.5, and my mercedes. All three idle slower on the first start-up of the day. I have avoided turning up the idle, because I do not wnt them to idle fast when warm.