1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

ABS Pump Runs Continuously

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Pump Runs Continuously

2000 2500 4X4

I researched this on several forums and it appears to be a common problem.

The ABS pump motor runs continuously even with the ignition switch OFF (and all other key positions of course).

I have been driving the truck with the motor disconnected at the ABS control module, and other than the ABS warning light and the red "Brake" light illuminated the truck and the brakes function normally.

I see a number of companies rebuild the ABS modules, some with lifetime warranties, but guys on the Forums report that sometimes this doesn't fix the problem, or it fixes it, but in a month or two the module seems to fail again. Some say it's a failed field effect transistor in the module, while others say there is a relay somewhere inside the truck that is responsible for this.

I pulled the codes using a fairly sophisticated Autel DS-708 MaxiDas scanner, and the only code is 67, which is "Pump Motor Circuit Open." I tried to access Live Data on my scanner, and this is the FIRST vehicle I could not do so, and actually monitor the ABS sensors for each wheel spped. In fact, my scanner appears unwilling to connect to the trucks PCM and TCM as well since it shows this symbol "-?-" where it normally says either "Pass/No Faults" or "X Faults." The scanner is fine, so I don't know whether there ius a problem with the truck that is causing the ABS problems AND the inability of the scanner to communicate with the PCM/TCM. As an aside, it DOES connect to the rest of the trucks modules and gives good read-outs. Trying to erase the DTC # 67 will NOT erase or reset the fault.

Some report that their instrument panels malfunction with the motor unplugged, but in my case I just have the two warning lights.

Is this the typical failure more, and has anyone had rebuilding the module actually FIX the problem longer term?

Anybody have an opinion?
Bob
Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
You might want to post this in the 2ND gen forum, no abs pumps on a first gen
Old 09-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
You might want to post this in the 2ND gen forum, no abs pumps on a first gen
DOH!!

My mistake- I thought I selected 2nd Gen