1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 pcm problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 pcm problems

Hello I have a 93 Dodge 1 ton dually that I have recently swapped out the automatic to an NV 4500. And since then I've been experiencing some air condition trouble. And I am experiencing some voltage regulator problems like it charges but real sporadic and not all the time. And I know the regulator is in the PCM. Now with that being said I called and having a hard time finding a new one believe it or not. Just throw a wrench and some things they asked me if it was a 5-speed or an automatic. Now what do I tell them yes Factory is an automatic but now it's a 5-speed. So with me doing this swap is the PCM not right now? I tried to do some looking and reading and know where did it tell me that I have to change the PCM when I done this. I did the swap 3 to 4 months ago and yes I had trouble with it charging before that but now it's gotten worse. I did not know that the AC went through the PCM but that would make sense of why it's not working. It's working but real sporadic as well. So my question is are if I do have the PCM rebuild there is a significant price difference from an automatic to a 5-speed so what do I need to do and could that even be my problem? Thank you very much for all your help.

Tim
Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Recheck the gap on the crank sensor. I believe .015 is the gap required, between the edge of sensor to the perimeter edge of the harmonic balancer. If you do check it, it has to be a non magnetized feeler gage, and make sure you do not take the measurement off of the harmonic balancer notch outs.
Never experienced it, but I've heard if your gap is exceeded above spec, it will affect function of the A/C
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm dreadful with electrical problem diagnoses, but my unscientific observation from reading this forum for several years is that most issues blamed on the PCM turn out to be the fault of a different (and less expensive) part.

A couple of years ago my Crankshaft Position Sensor began failing intermittently and, when it failed, the truck would quit charging, OD would turn off, and the air conditioning wouldn't work. I replaced the CPS and solved the problem but when I was wrapping the wires on the old unit to discard it I realized there was a small piece of metallic debris stuck to the face. (The CPS is magnetic.) So my guess is I could have cured the problem by simply cleaning the debris off the face of the CPS.

And when this whole issue started, I too blamed the PCM...
The following users liked this post:
MrFusion (08-22-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I've been working with computers for nearly 50 years and one of the sayings me and my associates always used is, "This computer stuff will never work right!"
Old 08-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by james1
I'm dreadful with electrical problem diagnoses, but my unscientific observation from reading this forum for several years is that most issues blamed on the PCM turn out to be the fault of a different (and less expensive) part.

A couple of years ago my Crankshaft Position Sensor began failing intermittently and, when it failed, the truck would quit charging, OD would turn off, and the air conditioning wouldn't work. I replaced the CPS and solved the problem but when I was wrapping the wires on the old unit to discard it I realized there was a small piece of metallic debris stuck to the face. (The CPS is magnetic.) So my guess is I could have cured the problem by simply cleaning the debris off the face of the CPS.

Can you help me locate it? I have no idea where it's at.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
It is bolted just above the harmonic balancer with two bolts.
It is also under the fan in the front of the motor.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by james1

thank you for your help thank you all for your help. I went out there looked at it and immediately seen the problem. I've done a lot of work to her in the last year and somehow the plug got unhooked so that was all my problem!!🤣 if it wasn't for this website I would be getting the computer rebuilt for no reason at all. Have a wonderful day it's going to be a good one!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Great to hear it was and easy / free fix.
Zip tie it together to make sure it doesn't pull apart again.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Thumbs up

Glad it's fixed!!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 417sales
thank you for your help thank you all for your help. I went out there looked at it and immediately seen the problem. I've done a lot of work to her in the last year and somehow the plug got unhooked so that was all my problem!!🤣 if it wasn't for this website I would be getting the computer rebuilt for no reason at all. Have a wonderful day it's going to be a good one!
Welcome to the Forum! Complete your signature so we learn a little about your truck...
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Good deal!