1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 exhaust upgrade

I would like to put at least a 4" exhaust on the truck. I would like it to follow the same route it does now. I can't use stacks. What is the largest size that will fit? I will probably dump it out in front of the rear wheel. Also who makes a kit for this application?

The other question is will it make that much difference over the 3" I have now? I will probably run some kind of muffler. Maybe a straight pipe with a section I can remove and put a muffler in for inspection.

thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Take a muffler and gut it and put a piece of pipe thru it and voila'! a muffler that passes inspection and still straight pipe. Good thing they don't have inspections here in kansas! haha . I have heard good things about rip rooks 4" exhaust for a 1st gen. Here is a link http://www.sourceautomotive.biz/dodge_alu_exhaust.htm
He seemed really nice and when i talked to him about a 4" downpipe and i haven't even bought anything from them!! Will definatly buy my downpipe from him. Good luck
ez
Old 08-24-2007, 07:08 PM

I think five inch is the biggest that will fit through the transfer case. After four inch you don't see as much improvement in performance. Ther are a couple of places that make a kit but if youj have a few tools you can make your own pretty inexpensive and easily. I have a turbo back four inch system that cost $200 in parts and a half days labor.
It makes a big difference in EGTs and cool down times. Everyone reports a difference of about 200 degrees after upgrading. It is a mod everyone should do.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 PM

I think five inch is the biggest that will fit through the transfer case. After four inch you don't see as much improvement in performance. Ther are a couple of places that make a kit but if youj have a few tools you can make your own pretty inexpensive and easily. I have a turbo back four inch system that cost $200 in parts and a half days labor.
It makes a big difference in EGTs and cool down times. Everyone reports a difference of about 200 degrees after upgrading. It is a mod everyone should do.