Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   91 DODGE CUMMINS, Getrag360 where is the vent? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/91-dodge-cummins-getrag360-where-vent-310677/)

nicolezeltov 03-05-2013 06:25 PM

91 DODGE CUMMINS, Getrag360 where is the vent?

Hello there!
I had a tranny oil leak from the tcase/tranny connection there.. took of the tcase and out spilled a bunch of tranny fluid. Saw that my output shaft seal was just sitting there on my shaft- as if built up pressure had pushed it out.
I just shoved that seal back in place because low and behold i had gotten the wrong seals from Napa and O'riellies. the seal looked perfectly fine. I wish i had the seals and would have replaced it, but time was of the essence.
ANYHOW....
i'm really scared to drive my truck right now, i'm afraid that the vent is clogged and will build up enough pressure to pop that seal out again...
i cant find the ***EDIT*** vent to make sure it's not all plugged up.
I looked on my buddies getrag 360 and found his vent-jiggle cap thing right next to the shift tower... BUT there is NOTHING there on mine except those 3 cast metal lumps.
I found a little hole on the very top surface of the rear of the transmission on more towards the drivers side, but it appears to be blocked off somehow with steel?? i don't know what the heck this is..
ANY ADVICE PLEASE?[duhhh]
Thanks,
Nicole
91 dodge, 5.9L Diesel, 3/4ton, 4WD, 5speed manual getrag360, NP205 tcase

chaikwa 03-05-2013 08:36 PM

nicolezeltov, I moved your post here where about 10 million people with an interest in 1st gens will see it and probably give you an answer you can use.

I also removed a relatively benign, but prohibited word from your post as it is a violation of forum rules to use 'rough' language of any kind. Just for future reference, it's also a violation to substitute symbols, (ie: #*!@^&), in place of letters to form the impression of a prohibited word.

Good luck with your truck problem and welcome to DTR!

thrub 03-06-2013 06:39 AM

I don't think the early getrags has a vent. They were supposed to vent through the shift tower but that doesn't seem to work to well. My 90 doesn't have the vent either and it pukes oil out the rear seal but hasn't pushed the seal out yet.

bannerd 03-06-2013 10:05 AM

Shouldn't be any vent on the getrag at all. It's a sealed transmission, some of them have a baffle vent with a small pin hole that would act as a vent at the top of the transmission. Most people I know tap that out and put a plug in it.

It helps keeps the transmission free from dirt and debris. Since there is not a fuel pump or clutches inside the rag, it's not a big deal. Just remember to change the oil as condensation can get inside there and over fill it through the side PTO covers. If you have resealed the getrag with the new seals they offer, you don't have to worry about the over filled oil leaking out or splashing up against it the seals.

The new seals are viton material.

BILTIT 03-06-2013 11:43 AM

My getrag has a vent. All transmissions/diffs/t-cases/etc. should have a vent.

nicolezeltov 03-09-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd (Post 3171188)
Shouldn't be any vent on the getrag at all. It's a sealed transmission, some of them have a baffle vent with a small pin hole that would act as a vent at the top of the transmission. Most people I know tap that out and put a plug in it.

thanks for yer reply, could you explain where this baffle vent is with more detail please?

nicolezeltov 03-09-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT (Post 3171203)
My getrag has a vent. All transmissions/diffs/t-cases/etc. should have a vent.

and you.... do you have any specific advise as to where or how it vent please?

BILTIT 03-10-2013 12:23 AM

My vent is on the front driver side top right by the shifter plate. Has a short section if hose and plastic breather just like the diff and t-case.