1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

46RH temperature, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
46RH temperature, is this normal?

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of information about whether this is normal or not. I have read an many websites, and in many threads on this forum that I should always try to keep the transmission temp on the old 46RH below 200 degrees.

I can easily push the temp over 210 almost 220 without even towing anything.
The sensor is in the line where the factory OD sensor used to be, so I know this is the hottest point for the fluid.

All I have to do to hit this kind of temp is sit at a traffic light in drive, the temp will climb to around 190 or so, and then once the light is green, WOT to highway speed(75 or so), and the temp will be 210-220. This is w/ambient air temp of around 70 degrees.

BTW, I have Deralle Hypercool plumbed before the original dealer installed super duty cooler, which then goes to the heat exchanger, then the cooler in front of the radiator, then back to the transmission. I also have the DEEP tranny pan.

Does this seem normal, or indicate a problem w/the TC or some other issue?

Thanks in advance for you input.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by gamiller31@gmai
Hey guys, just looking for a bit of information about whether this is normal or not. I have read an many websites, and in many threads on this forum that I should always try to keep the transmission temp on the old 46RH below 200 degrees.

I can easily push the temp over 210 almost 220 without even towing anything.
The sensor is in the line where the factory OD sensor used to be, so I know this is the hottest point for the fluid.

All I have to do to hit this kind of temp is sit at a traffic light in drive, the temp will climb to around 190 or so, and then once the light is green, WOT to highway speed(75 or so), and the temp will be 210-220. This is w/ambient air temp of around 70 degrees.

BTW, I have Deralle Hypercool plumbed before the original dealer installed super duty cooler, which then goes to the heat exchanger, then the cooler in front of the radiator, then back to the transmission. I also have the DEEP tranny pan.

Does this seem normal, or indicate a problem w/the TC or some other issue?

Thanks in advance for you input.
in my days as a hd mechanic 250 degrees was tops
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
These transmissions were known for running really hot.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
If your going to keep the temp sender in the hot line you are going to see this all the time. Do yourself a favor and install the sending probe in your pan it should have a location for it depending on who's pan you have.

The temps you are seeing are perfectly normal and will differ from others as all converters will act differently and give different readings. The up and down you are seeing is directly related to your torque converter.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Mine is in the pan. Normal for me is 165* f, but on occasions i use the truck plowing lots, it tops about 190*f. I put the truck in neutral, and let it sit while I go shovel a bit, and by the time in done, it's back to normal. Summer driving it rarely runs 210* if I'm stuck in traffic on a very hot day.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies, I really appreciate it.

I do plan to add a sender to the pan, and then put the signal wires on a relay, so I can switch between the 2 senders, and see what the difference is.

Additional question, if I'm towing my 11k pound TT, would you think it ok for the hot line to stay around 210-220, as long as the pan temp was staying around 180-190?

Before I put in the Deralle cooler in, and only had the super duty cooler, the heat exchanger, and front cooler, the hot line would stay around
190 if not in OD running 55 at WOT.
but in OD, it would stay around 220 running 65 or so and not WOT.
Oh these numbers were before I installed the 366 spring and DennyT fuel pin.
I have yet to tow w/my latest mods.

I hoping for much better performance w/new mods.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Explain or link me what this Derail hypercooler is. If it is a coil only, I need to know if the in/out ports are 8AN, or 1/2” lines. If they are 6AN, 3/8”, that’s a choke point. Also, I’m interested to know where this hypercooler is mounted. Is it dependent on air movement, or a heat sink type?

The super duty cooler that the dealer installed, is that the cooler coil with a 10” fan wired to a T-Stat rated at 165 degree switched on? Is this what you mean by super duty cooler? That was a factory option back in the day, and was normally mounted under the bed, drivers side, about in line with the fuel tank fill tube.

That SD cooler, also must have 8AN ports.

And yes, what DeereCountry said about your temps, is so correct. Your temps are identical to mine- 210 degrees while at a stop idling in Drive. If you drop it to Neutral as was mentioned, you’ll see your temps drop.

Lastly, remember this- deep pans mean more fluid to keep cool.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Out of curiosity you can send a used sample of your fluid to Blackstone for an analysis if you want to see if it got too hot or is burnt etc.

Had a regular Derale & fan mounted in the dealer underbed location until it rotted out. My temp prob is where yours is and I saw 250* easy when towing. But my oil report was good (even though the tranny wasn't).

I agree with Bigragu about verifying your plumbing sizes, you don't want a chokepoint.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:18 PM

Sorry about misspelling Derale in prev post. Here is a link to the exact product I purchased. It came w/-8AN fittings and 1/2 inch hose barb fittings and hose. fit perfectly to existing lines.

Amazon Amazon

I drove the truck to work today, a 1 hour commute 95% highway, tranny temp stayed about 160 with ambient temp of 50.

On the way home, on the highway, it stayed around 165-170 w/ambient temp of 70. It went up to 190 while in stop and go traffic close to the house, but prior to installing the Derale, it would climb over 200 in traffic like this.

I'm happy w/the temps at this point, but we'll see what it's like come summer down here, and when I start towing the TT around the country.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Oh forgot to address your other question.
Yes the super duty cooler is the one installed by dealer under the bed behind driver next to the fuel tank. I disconnected the temp sensor in the super duty, and put fan control on a relay w/switch in the cab.

I installed the Derale in the exact same manner only on the passenger side of the bed.

I plumbed the Derale by simply putting it inline between the H valve and the super duty cooler. Fans of both units are controlled by the in cab switch to a relay.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by gamiller31@gmai
Oh forgot to address your other question.
Yes the super duty cooler is the one installed by dealer under the bed behind driver next to the fuel tank. I disconnected the temp sensor in the super duty, and put fan control on a relay w/switch in the cab.

I installed the Derale in the exact same manner only on the passenger side of the bed.

I plumbed the Derale by simply putting it inline between the H valve and the super duty cooler. Fans of both units are controlled by the in cab switch to a relay.
Sounds cooling (pun intended)

How about some pics of this setup ?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 04:01 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Looks like the one I had.

My temps never fluctuated much from driving to stopping. I only saw the needle move when towing.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
GAMiller, that is the same Derale fan I have that you linked. It is a good piece of equipment. Try and buddy up with someone at a sheet metal shop and have a custom shield built to protect the fan and coils from road debris. Have the shield stand off of the fan by at least an 1 1/2”. 16 gage should be stout enough.

So, you have two of these types of coolers, basically. I’ve always thought about a second one. I question the placement of the one at the passenger side, by the exhaust pipe. That pipe puts out some heat, heat rises, and basically hovers underneath the bed, especially while at a stop. If you have that fan set up as a draw thru, meaning the air goes thru the coils first then gets pushed forward past the fan blades, it is drawing in the heat from that exhaust and pulling the heat thru the coils.
If you have it set up as a push thru, meaning the air get sucked up thru the fan first, then thru the coils, it’s still pulling in that heat. Just something to think about.
How about moving that fan set up to the drivers side, and mounting it inline with the other? Another option is to remove the fan from one unit, and stack the coils over each other, and let one fan take care of both(look at pics of the BD brand stacked cooler coils for their transmission cooling for a pic of this set up)

Something to consider, also, is the hose routing. If yours is anything like mine, it’s a spaghetti of 1/2” hose under there. If budget allows, consider installing stainless braided PTFE hose and Aeroquip fittings under there for smoother flowing fluid passages. That’s actually in my plans for the future.

Like mentioned above, there are hard parts that can be installed in your tranny to improve flow. I’ll let AngryJohnny speak more on that, as he is the expert on here with transmission innards.