Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   3.07 rear end (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/3-07-rear-end-300830/)

white89 02-22-2012 09:37 PM

3.07 rear end

I have an 89 auto with the 3.07 rear. The rear end has a lot of play in it and clunks from drive to reverse. The drive shaft spins around before getting to the wheels. Can I tell if the ring and pinion gears are trashed without disassembling the whole rear end? If the ring and pinion are in good shape would a carrier from a 3.54 or 4.10 rear work? I am located in Kansas city and looking to replace the whole rear if I can find one. Does anyone know of any good places to start looking? I have not tore into the rear yet and I talked to Mark nixon and he may be able to help.

deanhinsley1963 02-23-2012 01:30 AM

Without OD you would not want the 3.54s as you could only go about 60 mph. So I would take the cover off the diff and see whats up. Does it make any noise or vibrations going down the road?

dodgenstein 02-23-2012 08:39 AM

A lot of times the slack is in the differential gears and shafts, and if you have a limited slip rear, in worn out clutches. Pull the cover and watch for movement between various components. A carrier from a 3.54 or 4.10 will work, if the axle spline count is the same.Most 3.07's were 35 spline (nuts and cones retaining axle shafts to hubs).

white89 02-23-2012 08:53 AM

It is an open carrier so no limited slip. When driving down the road it makes no noise or vibrations what so ever. It just has a ton of slack in it. So D to R a big clunk. I want to fix this problem before pulling anything or running it down the road very far. The pinion seal is also leaking so I read to clean out the vent tube.

"Most 3.07's were 35 spline (nuts and cones retaining axle shafts to hubs)."
Can I tell if it is 35 spline or 32 from looking at the outside of the hub?

dieselJon 02-23-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by white89 (Post 3081590)
It is an open carrier so no limited slip. When driving down the road it makes no noise or vibrations what so ever. It just has a ton of slack in it. So D to R a big clunk. I want to fix this problem before pulling anything or running it down the road very far. The pinion seal is also leaking so I read to clean out the vent tube.

"Most 3.07's were 35 spline (nuts and cones retaining axle shafts to hubs)."
Can I tell if it is 35 spline or 32 from looking at the outside of the hub?

Yes, look at the 8 fasteners on the axle tube.

You may have slack from there not being anymore clutch left and it slips instantaneously making you think you have a 1 wheel wonder.

maybe368 02-23-2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by deanhinsley1963 (Post 3081512)
Without OD you would not want the 3.54s as you could only go about 60 mph. So I would take the cover off the diff and see whats up. Does it make any noise or vibrations going down the road?

I have 3.54's and my rig will do around 90-91 mph, is that for an auto?...Mark

maybe368 02-23-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368 (Post 3081756)
I have 3.54's and my rig will do around 90-91 mph, is that for an auto?...Mark

Sorry, I read right over the "without overdrive" part...[duhhh][duhhh][duhhh]...Mark

dB Zac 02-23-2012 05:09 PM

I was gonna say LOL 3.5 gears with a 3 speed auto would be hell on the freeway

white89 02-23-2012 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon (Post 3081752)
Yes, look at the 8 fasteners on the axle tube.

You may have slack from there not being anymore clutch left and it slips instantaneously making you think you have a 1 wheel wonder.

My dad thought is was a posi but when i jacked up the rear and spun a tire the other one spun in the opposite direction. but when driving it it will only spin one wheel in drive but in reverse it will spin both of them. No tag on there saying posi though.

Philip 02-23-2012 07:49 PM

The 3:07 -3:54- 4:10 use the same carrier. If you want L/S just replace the carrier.

Now for the slop in the drive sahft. That you better check out fast. Repair before you grenade it.

There is no aftermarket support for 3:07's. All that is out there is used parts only. Dodge has been N/A for 10 years or more for the ring a pinions.

whiskers 02-23-2012 08:31 PM

Try Randy's Ring and Pinion for gear sets.

white89 02-24-2012 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'll do some parts hunting and try and figure this out.

dzl_damon 02-24-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Philip (Post 3081811)
The 3:07 -3:54- 4:10 use the same carrier. If you want L/S just replace the carrier.

Now for the slop in the drive sahft. That you better check out fast. Repair before you grenade it.
There is no aftermarket support for 3:07's. All that is out there is used parts only. Dodge has been N/A for 10 years or more for the ring a pinions.

Had to rebuild mine a few months ago... true words. Mine clunked like heck going into reverse. About 1/8 turn drive shaft slop side to side before the gears were engaging. I disassembled the housing once and took pictures for anyone with a better trained eye than myself could see. They saw issues, but no one was specific. I didn't have a parts truck at the time, so I kept running it. It eventually grenaded (I was playing at the time however) . I could drive straight, but it would grind on corners. My cousin said spider gears, and he was right. It blew up 1 spider gear and the shrapnel damaged the gears that mount on the axle stubs (that the spider gears drive... forget the names). Clutch pack had 0... NO black friction material anywhere and the steel was worn 1/2 through each disc.

Most likely your 3.07's are 35 spline so you can't grab a 4.10 or 3.54 carrier and swap it in. The 32 spline have 8 bolts holding the axle shaft in while the 35 splines have studs and nuts as noted already. So just look in the middle of your wheel to confirm.

Another note, your 3.07 rear end is technically a Dana 71 (Dana 70 variant) that has an extra large clearance for the larger ring gear I'm told. So no promises that a 35 spline carrier from an old Dana 70 4.88 gas job truck would work either. Look at part numbers in Randy's Ring and Pinion or other sites to determine what you can use.

An popping off the rear pumkin cover will only cost you an hour or two, 2-3 qts of gear oil, and a little silicone. Might as well see what's REALLY wrong before throwing parts at it. You might get lucky and have a loose pinion

deanhinsley1963 02-24-2012 10:57 PM

exactly, check it out the 3.07s are rare and hard to come by.

Philip 02-25-2012 04:59 PM

A 4:88 carrier won't work. The ring gear off set is wrong for anything 4:10 and down on gearing.

Find a used L/S and just get new internals. You can buy rebuild kits with new spiders and side gears.

That what I did with the L/S in my current axle. I found a 94+ carrier assy with blown spiders. I just ordered a full rebuild kit with new spiders with 35 spline side gears.