Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   2wd spindle nut retainer mia (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/2wd-spindle-nut-retainer-mia-323863/)

Babagnoosh 12-23-2015 10:24 PM

2wd spindle nut retainer mia

Alright guys, this seems silly but please bare with me. So I just picked up this first gen a few weeks ago. Many plans for the truck but to the issue. Put the truck on the lift to check the front end. Come to find out the wheel bearings are bad. Or so I thought. Pulled the caps off and there is no spindle nut retainer! Previous owner or some shotty mechanic must have not put it back in I guess. Luckily the cotter pin was there so at least the wheel wouldn't come flying off... No biggie though right call the part store and get a new retainer...that's where I hit a dead end. No matter how they look it up it always comes back as a 3/4in 16 thead pitch nut. That's not what these have. They are 7/8in 16 thread pitch. Anyone know a part number for a retainer? Or kit with one in it? I've told them it's the 4k and diesel Yada yada. Called multiple places and they say that they can't get it. Look and 4 different stores and they always bring out one too small...it's got me stumped, has anyone else delt with this issue?

j_martin 12-24-2015 08:25 AM

Here's the listing in the Mopar catalog. 6029986 comes up "discontinued"

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...45884eb723.jpg

johnh 12-24-2015 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Babagnoosh (Post 3292637)
Alright guys, this seems silly but please bare with me. So I just picked up this first gen a few weeks ago. Many plans for the truck but to the issue. Put the truck on the lift to check the front end. Come to find out the wheel bearings are bad. Or so I thought. Pulled the caps off and there is no spindle nut retainer! Previous owner or some shotty mechanic must have not put it back in I guess. Luckily the cotter pin was there so at least the wheel wouldn't come flying off... No biggie though right call the part store and get a new retainer...that's where I hit a dead end. No matter how they look it up it always comes back as a 3/4in 16 thead pitch nut. That's not what these have. They are 7/8in 16 thread pitch. Anyone know a part number for a retainer? Or kit with one in it? I've told them it's the 4k and diesel Yada yada. Called multiple places and they say that they can't get it. Look and 4 different stores and they always bring out one too small...it's got me stumped, has anyone else delt with this issue?

i guess you will have to use a self locking nut from a newer truck
dorman 81035
Weight: 0.33 lbs
Package Contents: 1 Nut
Package Quantity: 1
Thread Size: 2-16

maybe you can find it here Extreme Axle Sales - Spindle Nuts & Washers

patdaly 12-24-2015 01:18 PM

Ouch, looks like you might have a problem, even Rock Auto doesn't show them available.

Couple of possibilities, Places like McMaster-Carr have castle nuts, though they list 7/8-14 not 16 TPI, how sure of the thread are you? ( Gauged or visual ID?) I suppose Chrysler could have run a non-standard thread form, but it wouldn't make sense. Anyway, they aren't expensive to try.

One other thing you could do is send a PM to our member Oliver Foster here on the first gen forum, he has a garage stuffed chock full of just in case parts....... I think he could fix you up in a heartbeat, good guy as well. [guitar]

j_martin 12-24-2015 01:37 PM

I sent 3 worn out B350 vans down the road to the junker a short while before I bought the CTD. Been kickin' myself ever since.

johnh 12-24-2015 04:32 PM

what year? and 2500 or?

Babagnoosh 12-25-2015 03:52 PM

Patdaly. I did put a gadge on the spindle l. I'm am sure it is a 7/8in 16 thread pitch. I checked multiple times to make sure my eyes were working lol. I had some 7/8 14tpi nuts laying around and I tried. They go on about one turn then lock up. It's weird I don't know why they used such a strange size. I've called priority products, fasenal, and McMaster. All of them tell me they don't carry that size in a castle nut or any nut for that matter. The nuts however isn't the issue I have those and they are fine, it's the nut retainer that is gone. I've tried a couple different kits from the parts store that come with a nut, cotter key, and retainer. And just use the retainer out of them. They are either too big or just barely to small. I might just modify one of them to make them work. It's a 1993 d250 john. W/4k lb front end.

johnh 12-26-2015 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Babagnoosh (Post 3292768)
Patdaly. I did put a gadge on the spindle l. I'm am sure it is a 7/8in 16 thread pitch. I checked multiple times to make sure my eyes were working lol. I had some 7/8 14tpi nuts laying around and I tried. They go on about one turn then lock up. It's weird I don't know why they used such a strange size. I've called priority products, fasenal, and McMaster. All of them tell me they don't carry that size in a castle nut or any nut for that matter. The nuts however isn't the issue I have those and they are fine, it's the nut retainer that is gone. I've tried a couple different kits from the parts store that come with a nut, cotter key, and retainer. And just use the retainer out of them. They are either too big or just barely to small. I might just modify one of them to make them work. It's a 1993 d250 john. W/4k lb front end.

does the other side have one?

Babagnoosh 12-26-2015 03:07 PM

Both sides are missing the retainer. Each side does have one nut. My machinest friend and I are going to try to just make a couple.

johnh 12-26-2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Babagnoosh (Post 3292810)
Both sides are missing the retainer. Each side does have one nut. My machinest friend and I are going to try to just make a couple.

iv'e looked everywhere and i cannot find a 7/8 16 nut made by any body for any purpose[dummy]

here is a lock nut but makes no mention of a retainer
Medium Carbon Steel 7/8-16 Lock & Flange Nut | EssentraComponentsUS

Babagnoosh 12-26-2015 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 3292816)
iv'e looked everywhere and i cannot find a 7/8 16 nut made by any body for any purpose[dummy]

I know. I have to. It's ridiculous. However I just want the retainer. But that is just as illusive as the nut. But there must be one somewhere that fits a 1 5/16 socket size with a 7/8 hole. But I'm done looking at this point. I'll just make one.

j_martin 12-26-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Babagnoosh (Post 3292818)
I know. I have to. It's ridiculous. However I just want the retainer. But that is just as illusive as the nut. But there must be one somewhere that fits a 1 5/16 socket size with a 7/8 hole. But I'm done looking at this point. I'll just make one.

Are you sure it isn't 22mm x 1.5? Dorman 615-080

Babagnoosh 12-26-2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin (Post 3292826)
Are you sure it isn't 22mm x 1.5? Dorman 615-080

Yes ive tripled checked. It is not metric. The only thread gadge that fits us the 16 standard. I know how silly it is but it is what it is. I've tried fitting a m22 x 1 5. It s almost the same as a 7/8in x 14. Goes on a couple turns then locks up....

j_martin 12-27-2015 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Babagnoosh (Post 3292827)
Yes ive tripled checked. It is not metric. The only thread gadge that fits us the 16 standard. I know how silly it is but it is what it is. I've tried fitting a m22 x 1 5. It s almost the same as a 7/8in x 14. Goes on a couple turns then locks up....

Thought was the dorman part might fit over your present nut.

Babagnoosh 12-27-2015 03:17 PM

It's just barely too small. 1 5/16in is the socket size for the nit. Witch is basically the same as 33mm. And of course the retainer fits a 32mm.