1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2wd 47RH with a 46RH overdrive and 4X4 tail shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2wd 47RH with a 46RH overdrive and 4X4 tail shaft?

I posted this question on another forum, but didnt get any responses. I was directed over here so Ill ask you guys. Ive found similar questions, but not exactly , so i hope you can help me out.

So im having a problem finding a 4wd 47rh around here, but have found a couple of 2wd units. my question is can i unbolt my overdrive unit and 4wd tail housing off my current a518 and swap it on the 2wd 47rh? is there any other downsides to using the 2wd 47rh?

On the other hand, im starting to wonder if the swap is even worth it, or if i should just build up my A518. budget is a big concern as this is just a tow pig/fun truck. Its main purpose is to get us into the hills or desert to have fun fishing, camping, atv's, and to pull around the race truck. i know alot of people like this swap, and im just worried its mostly hype to have a lockup converter in these old rigs.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I believe an A518 OD is very similar to the A618, but the 46RH is going to have aluminum planetary housings. Maybe less gears too.

The front pump Goerend said was higher tolerance on an A618.

I would keep looking unless you need one today.

Michael
Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Unless you're doing a lot of over the road driving and towing, the lockup TQ isn't going to pay off. The same could be said for a low stall converter, but this engine can put out so much torque that tire traction is usually the weak point anyway. The A518 is a pretty substantial transmission with a moderate build up and good cooling, like the super cooler frame mounted fan cooler or equivalent.

The straight cut OD gears are getting hard to find. The bevel cut ones work, but supposedly aren't quite as strong. The weak point in the OD is the center bearing, a radial bearing in thrust service.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM

the main purpose of this truck is for hauling our play things when camping, fishing,riding, pulling the race truck, as well as a little play duty. wont be racing or pulling sleds. I have all the normal fuel mods , 5x12 injectors, he351 done, as well as a junkyard compound setup i plan on putting together down the road. It wont be a high horsepower set up, just to aid in towing through the Utah mountains and canyons while staying cool.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by carsonc1974
the main purpose of this truck is for hauling our play things when camping, fishing,riding, pulling the race truck, as well as a little play duty. wont be racing or pulling sleds. I have all the normal fuel mods , 5x12 injectors, he351 done, as well as a junkyard compound setup i plan on putting together down the road. It wont be a high horsepower set up, just to aid in towing through the Utah mountains and canyons while staying cool.
A518 will pull it. It will need good cooling, however. I pull a double through the mountains and stay cool. My son has exactly the same setup except for no super cooler, and he gets hot. A low stall converter will help in the heat department also.

Both of us have Goerend low stall TQ's, and a mildly modded transmission, with shift kit, a few hard parts, better clutches, etc. Both of us completely sheared the stock flex plate. It is inadequate, even if in good condition.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:53 PM

well this is the news i was hoping to hear.. I already have a deep pan and a large trans cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan. Maybe, if it isnt a trade secret, you could share your build sheet on your transmission that an auto transmission newbie like my self, can duplicate.

Last edited by patdaly; 03-03-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: My error, sorry
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 PM

well this is the news i was hoping to hear.. I already have a deep pan and a large trans cooler with a thermostatically controlled fan. Maybe, if it isnt a trade secret, you could share your build sheet on your transmission that an auto transmission newbie like my self, can duplicate.

You can always homebrew a 47RH........... Not terribly expensive either.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-cheap-318014/

Is it normal for people/ moderators to change posts... that second part of this post in red was not me...

Its not that i dont appreciate the information, just seemed kinda strange.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

You can always homebrew a 47RH........... Not terribly expensive either.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-cheap-318014/

Sorry about that, I hit the edit button rather than the quote button.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:40 PM

I had a freelance hot-shot mechanic do it, and his billing was quite short of details.

I know it has a Transgo shift kit, and a Goerend low stall converter in it. There's a few weak parts that most shops change out for stronger after market parts.

The mechanic screwed up the shift kit some. He put in the TQ pressure mod, and it stretched the TQ just enough so it decoupled during hard engine braking. It didn't bulge it enough to be out of warranty, so Goerend fixed it on warranty. They ran out of metal to weld to, so put on a billet face on their dime. I have nothing but good to say about that outfit.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by txs
The 518 od unit will bolt right up to the 47, its worth it for the l&r band upgrade. I would use the 47 od planetaries in the 518 od unit. The best thing about switching to lock up is heat reduction on long grades, even low stall dumps a lot of heat into the cooling system.
This, if you have the 47 O/D unit you can put everything into the 46 O/D unit except the output shaft.

If you are hauling, the lockup converter is worth it. It has reduced the operating temps, RPM's and the noise level in the cab. A fuel mileage increase was a bonus too. It also gave the truck more passing power at highway speeds. I am very, very happy with this conversion.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 AM

ok thanks for all the advice... i think its going to come down to what i can find. parts are very hard for me to come by in my area so Im not going to be picky... so its either going to be a 47rh, nv4500, or getrag swap... so far i cant find anything within 6 hours of here.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Why not just turn your A518 into a 47RH on the cheap?

Seems like the easiest thing to do to me.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:01 AM

well thats still an option, if i can source the parts. i cant seem to find anything...ive now had 2 people try and sell me parts that werent what they claimed they were. luckily enough, i knew what these specific parts looked like enough to know they were trying to sell me a load.
There is no way i would be able to tell a518 parts from 47rh parts, as i have never been in either trans.

On tp of that, every where i read, people are saying you need to upgrade the planetaries, and overdrive to 47rh stuff. Started to make me think that the a518 wasnt going to hold up.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Haven't seen Smokinblacky around here in quite some time, but he had an A518 in a pulling truck that he beat the tar out of and it held up. I'm sure he's not the only one just happens to be one on the top of my head.

Quick Reply: 2wd 47RH with a 46RH overdrive and 4X4 tail shaft?