1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

#2 Fuel in 20-30 degree temps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#2 Fuel in 20-30 degree temps?

Do I need to do anything special to run #2 heating oil in my 1st gen. in Michigan cold? additives,etc.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MARF75
Do I need to do anything special to run #2 heating oil in my 1st gen. in Michigan cold? additives,etc.
No different than #2 ULSD.
But, you know it's illegal to operate on the highway with red dyed fuel, right?
It's very unlikely you'd ever get caught, but if you do, the fine is VERY high. I know one of the IRS Agents who checks trucks in this area.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mule Man Willie
No different than #2 ULSD.
But, you know it's illegal to operate on the highway with red dyed fuel, right?
It's very unlikely you'd ever get caught, but if you do, the fine is VERY high. I know one of the IRS Agents who checks trucks in this area.
Well in that case I guess I won't be running it in my truck then!
Old 12-10-2011, 11:38 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MARF75
It's IDENTICAL to #2 road fuel just no taxes paid and hence not legal.....

That said, I've noticed that the #2 ULSD stuff seams to be gelling at much warmer temps that the old Pre-LSD version. I'd be running some form of anti-gell at 20*.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc

That said, I've noticed that the #2 ULSD stuff seams to be gelling at much warmer temps that the old Pre-LSD version. I'd be running some form of anti-gell at 20*.
I run power service in my fuel, but I don't want to run dyed fuel anyway. Can't afford to pay any fines.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ofcmarc

The fuel itself actually is different. Farm diesel contains more PPM of sulfur than ULSD. That is another reason it's illegal to run on the road (more pollution... or so they say).
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by thechoochlyman
The fuel itself actually is different. Farm diesel contains more PPM of sulfur than ULSD. That is another reason it's illegal to run on the road (more pollution... or so they say).
ULSD= Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. 15ppm sulfur, required for all on road diesel vehicles manufactured in 2007 or later.

LSD = Low Sulfur diesel. 500ppm sulfur. Been required for all on road diesels since I believe 1994 (I believe this is why the injection pumps were changed amongst other reasons?)

Old school diesel: up to 5000ppm (0.5%) sulfur. This was what was around when our trucks were made I'm pretty sure and there for, we could TECHNICALLY run it if we could get it based on the age of the trucks and the emission laws made at that time. However, most home heating fuel is 3500ppm sulfur or less depending on your state. Check your local laws on that.

I know in Maine it's almost impossible to get anything BUT ULSD/#2 heating oil, even for high powered boilers in commercial plants. We'll take delivery of 10,000 gallons a day or more, and the sulfur slips coming in are all about 4-8ppm. Law only requires us to have 500ppm, but the 15ppm is about all that is shipped in now on the product tankers.

Anyway... it's not illegal to run higher sulfur diesel/heating fuel in our trucks... it's only illegal because road tax was not paid on that fuel. I've been on a ship where we add the dye as it's pumped ashore during cargo ops. The fuel is 1 and the same.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:01 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There WAS an transition time where you could still have the higher PPM of sulfer in the off-road/H.O. fuels but that time has passed.

I suppose that some refineries might still make some of the LSD or old school diesel with lost of sulfur for export to someplace where the regs are different but I suspect that most places just converted everything to make the ULSD. I know that the local refinery up here only makes ULSD regardless whether they call it H.O. or diesel.....
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to a man at our local Marathon station one day when I was filling up a tank full of farm diesel. He told me how (at least their) refinery produced. According to him, there is still more sulfur in farm diesel than there is in road diesel.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:53 PM

I talked to a man at our local Marathon station one day when I was filling up a tank full of farm diesel. He told me how (at least their) refinery produced. According to him, there is still more sulfur in farm diesel than there is in road diesel.
Could very well be the case in your area. Like OFCMarc, I believe my area is completely 15ppm or less.

However, if you can find it undyed, it's not illegal to run in your older truck.

As for that transitional period: I guess the state of New Jersey was behind the 8 ball on that one! All the way into 2010, they STILL did not even OFFER ULSD at any of the I95 fuel stations that were all state run!!! It has been required for all on road diesels since 2007 and I could not find a darn station with ULSD, or an English speaking fuel jockey to guide me to one!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a local station for a while that still had LSD, it said right on the pump do not use in 2007 and newer diesels or damage will occur.

I run ULSD B5 Bio right out of the pump, a local aamco has it. It's green