1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st Gen Dodge vs Ford V10

Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Dodge vs Ford V10

My friend has a newer model Ford V10. Probably 5 or more years old. I was curious how that truck matches up with my Dodge 1st gen as far a load hauling capacity. Anybody ever have any experience driving both?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

don't worry about any jump he gets on you, you will easily pass him at the first gas station.........honk once and politely wave, cheese eatin grin optional
Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM

I'm not competing with him. I was just curious.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the super-dookie is a pretty good chassis. Not so sure about the weird hybrid dana 50/60 front end on the 4x4's, but I'd say the frame has to be better than a creaky old first gen. I'm not a fan of the 6.8 v10. I drove one for a few days. Extended cab, short bed, 4x4, 6-speed. The first two gears from a light(2nd and 3rd) would pack you righ back in the seat, but she was all done pulling by 4th, which, ironically, is where the old 1st gens begin to shine...When considering overall ability to handle a load, the newer trucks have better/newer tech on their side...but there's no for sale sign on my truck...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Yea, I agree. In the V-10 world, the Ford is not nearly as strong as the Dodge. Of course it's smaller. Brother has a 2WD Dodge doolie and as far as acceleration is concerned, it's impressive. At 10.5 MPG overall (unloaded) it should be. Like above, no "for sale" sign on my relic.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 PM

v10

my brother had a v-10 for about 2 weeks , has had 8 cars and trucks in the last three years between him and his wife. well any ways. we went home on leave about the same tme, and he pulled his Bronco down there. around 9000 lbs. well he got 7mpg, and it over heated on him going over the passes.

well he had me bring it back for him, so the fuel bill wouldnt kill him. i made the trip back in 1 1/2 hours less than he did, with no problems, and got 13.5 mpg.

he got rid of that truck the next week.

Bob
Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 AM

90Dodge, was your brother's a Ford or Dodge? I can say my brother's V-10 does everything you'd expect of it. When loaded, it will pull it's butt off. Only problem is feeding gas to it.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:19 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ron E
90Dodge, was your brother's a Ford or Dodge?
Ron E,

his V-10 was a Ford.

Bob
Old 03-29-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know about the Ford, but my dad has a 96' 2wd Ram 3500 V10 which he traded his 92' D-250 on, and stock for stock the V10 did better than his CTD but the V10 is 300hp and 450tq stock. Since he's had it he has added a computer chip different air filter headers and dual exhaust with no Cats and that is all there is available for it without adding a supercharger or doing internal engine work, and still gets 10.5 mpg empty 7mpg pulling and do to the chip he has to use premium gas. Where with the CTD there is alot of possibilites for future mods to get alot of HP out of your $$$. After driving my CTD after I got it and did a few mods and I tell him all the things that I learn on here about mods to do, he said he wished he would have kept his CTD and just modded it.

Chris
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM

..I don't want no truck that sounds like a Civic!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
V-10's do sound kinda wuss, don't they....except when you hear a viper winding up through the gears...for some reason, it sounds better then, dunno why.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:18 AM

Arrow That New Ford V-10 Will Absolutely Gobble Up Your & My Dodge...

I work for a major metropolitan city in the road department and we just purchased a half dozen new F-350 Ford V-10 automatic tranny'd heavy duty (non-dually) pickups with the crew cabs (1 ton six packs) last year. As you could imagine, I've driven several of them. Compared to a first gen diesel rig? Compared to MY first gen diesel rig, there IS no comparrison as those Ford's have WAY MORE power, get up and go plus all the latest, newest vehicle comforts known to worker. We tow heavy crack pouring machines, compressors and even a honey bucket trailer with these trucks and they're great for that purpose. I don't have to pay to fill er up as they seem "thirsty" but I get to run the cat **** out of them whenever I get the pleasure of getting behind the wheel. Towing is where these units shine imho. But don't let anyone kid you....these things will outrun, outpull and do it in comfort (heavy duty heat & a/c...brrr!!) ANY but the most modified first gen diesel Dodge truck ON THE ROAD, they're a Hell of a truck. But for being the latest technology and 13 years newer than the newest first gen diesel Dodge truck THEY SHOULD BE BETTER TRUCKS! No matter what you think about YOUR first gen Dodge Cummins pickup, 99% of the time (and take it from someone who's driven both of them LOTS of times) these heavy duty gas Fords will gobble up any first gen Dodge out there (except the most modified) and if there's something hooked onto the back of these trucks being towed, all us first gen Dodge drivers would see is the *** end of that Ford pickup leaving you and me in the dust....I KID YOU NOT. THEY PULL STRONG!! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!
Now let's talk about something where our trucks shine because compared to these beasts, we and our trucks are undoubtedly second place in this race, I'm afraid to say. I'm just glad I don't have to pay for it's "feeding" as they're hard on fuel comparatively speaking. But like your VW pulling up next to that 'Vette at the traffic light, if I was in my first gen Dodge diesel and that Ford pulls up next to me at that traffic light gunning his engine like he wants to race, I'm turning up the volume of the radio, looking away and thinking about races/things I could win. Because that big bad 1 ton non-dually Ford over there is going to eat you and your first gen Dodge for breakfast (and mine for desert)...especially if it's pulling something, I'm sorry to say. Chuck
Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 AM

v-10

i disagree with CHUXTRUK. the last one i tangled with with my 90 all he saw was tail lites. my truck only dynos 221hp.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by jughead
i disagree with CHUXTRUK. the last one i tangled with with my 90 all he saw was tail lites. my truck only dynos 221hp.
Same here, the last one couldn't keep up with my buddy's stroker, I know kinda sad. But my 93 walks all over above mentioned power stroke.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say that I don't think there is any way a V10 is going to out pull a modded gen I CTD, I don't know what the specs are on a new V10 but I don't think they have 7-800 rwtq like some guys on here have, the V10 might, I say might win in an empty race but doubt it would out pull. I am not saying that since I have a gen I that it is the best truck ever, but I am just comparing numbers.

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Gen Dodge vs Ford V10