1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1993 w250 pcm

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Yes the PCM is behind the battery tray on the '91.5-'93 trucks.
They move it to the passenger firewall from '94-'02. Newer trucks than that I have no interest in, so I don't know what happens after '02.

I have no dealings with Mymoparparts, so I have no idea what they do, what they sell, or what they call things.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-par...r-ecm-r6029101

this is the link to the computer I found
Old 05-07-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yes the PCM is behind the battery tray on the '91.5-'93 trucks.
They move it to the passenger firewall from '94-'02. Newer trucks than that I have no interest in, so I don't know what happens after '02.

I have no dealings with Mymoparparts, so I have no idea what they do, what they sell, or what they call things.
I have both. Did someone try to put a later year computer in the truck?
Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I really don’t know much about these trucks, and every reply is helping me that much more with it
Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 PM

it is this box that I have no clue what it is
Old 05-07-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stgendodge
I have both. Did someone try to put a later year computer in the truck?
'94-'02 PCMs are on the OUTISDE of the firewall.
The box behind your glove box INSIDE your truck is not your PCM.
That sounds stock.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
'94-'02 PCMs are on the OUTISDE of the firewall.
The box behind your glove box INSIDE your truck is not your PCM.
That sounds stock.
Ok. I also have the pcm on the inner fender. Just curious if that had anything to do with it. I will keep looking around
Old 05-07-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
On my 89 the black box behind the glove box is the RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-Lock) module. It's useless on mine because the Dump valve is unobtanium.

Thanks Oliver and sorry about hijacking this thread.

Edwin
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I really don’t know much about these trucks, and every reply is helping me that much more with it
You really need to spend $30 or so at Geno's so you can read all about it.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Smile

I posted this to a thread in 2017; it's still relevant:

Originally Posted by james1
I'm dreadful with electrical problem diagnoses, but my unscientific observation from reading this forum for several years is that most issues blamed on the PCM turn out to be the fault of a different (and less expensive) part.

A couple of years ago my Crankshaft Position Sensor began failing intermittently and, when it failed, the truck would quit charging, OD would turn off, and the air conditioning wouldn't work. I replaced the CPS and solved the problem but when I was wrapping the wires on the old unit to discard it I realized there was a small piece of metallic debris stuck to the face. (The CPS is magnetic.) So my guess is I could have cured the problem by simply cleaning the debris off the face of the CPS.

And when this whole issue started, I too blamed the PCM...
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM

I started looking at the crank sensor. Any idea how to test it without tearing the whole truck apart. I seen the wire leading down to it but can’t find the actual sensor itself. I also can’t seem to figure out to to test the voltage on the different wires. Unlike with the tps where you can pull out the dust plug and check everything at the sensor, the crank sensor plug is sealed. Also how to I test the sensor gap?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Can anyone tell me if this “jump” is factory. Turned on the ac and it DID NOT kick on, which leads me to believe the crank sensor is bad. Is this the previous owners way of trying to get the ac to work?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:18 AM

I started looking at the crank sensor. Any idea how to test it without tearing the whole truck apart. I seen the wire leading down to it but can’t find the actual sensor itself. I also can’t seem to figure out to to test the voltage on the different wires. Unlike with the tps where you can pull out the dust plug and check everything at the sensor, the crank sensor plug is sealed. Also how to I test the sensor gap?
Either back probe the connector (push a sharp probe in beside the seal on each wire) or pierce the wire near the connector. I prefer the second, but be sure you bandage the wound with a drop of liquid electrical tape. (vinyl in solvent) to prevent corrosion and future failure.

As I said before, verify ground and 8V are present, then probe the third one and watch it toggle as you turn the gap slowly past the sensor. The gap in in the harmonic ballancer, and the sensor is bolted just above it, on the end of the 3 conductor cable to the connector on top of the engine at the front.

Sensor gap is critical, and magnetic debris on the sensor will cause trouble as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Can anyone tell me if this “jump” is factory. Turned on the ac and it DID NOT kick on, which leads me to believe the crank sensor is bad. Is this the previous owners way of trying to get the ac to work?
That's a diode to drain off the solenoid coil's back emf when the circuit is opened, protecting relay contacts or electronics. It's stock.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
Either back probe the connector (push a sharp probe in beside the seal on each wire) or pierce the wire near the connector. I prefer the second, but be sure you bandage the wound with a drop of liquid electrical tape. (vinyl in solvent) to prevent corrosion and future failure.

As I said before, verify ground and 8V are present, then probe the third one and watch it toggle as you turn the gap slowly past the sensor. The gap in in the harmonic ballancer, and the sensor is bolted just above it, on the end of the 3 conductor cable to the connector on top of the engine at the front.

Sensor gap is critical, and magnetic debris on the sensor will cause trouble as well.
Do you happen to know what the gap is supposed to be set at? I read 50 thousandths on another forum, but that seems like a awful lot. Mine is set anywhere from 25 to 30 thousandths depending on where the crank is positioned when I test it.

Quick Reply: 1993 w250 pcm