1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1993 D250 Frame Off Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrepper
So I dropped a ton of small parts and brackets off to be powder coated; which left me with little to do on the truck, so I decided it was time to start to tackle the rat's nest in the front underhood wiring harness.

This is the main rats nest; about 13 years ago the triangular rubber junction that used to join the main power cable from the battery and all the fusible links together corroded and caught fire; the buss bar and the mess you see here was merely a quick fix to get the truck running again, as it was way up north in the dead of winter when it happened. I remember being in a parking lot of a restaurant and starting up the truck, turned on the headlights/heat and got a big puff of smoke from under the hood---I assume this was a fusible blowing---lost all power, hurried up and opened the hood to find a small fire on the wiring harness. I put it out with snow and we towed the truck back to the farm and rigged it up to run again with this mess; meaning to fix it as soon as the weather got warm....13 years later, still worked; just looks like :butt:. LOL.

Here is the solution; a PNDB module from a late model Freightliner M2 truck. This will eliminate all the fusible links and provide midi fuse protection to the alternator and all of the circuits that used fusible links. This will be much safer and clean things up nicely. I will re-pin new wires in where the chopped ones are now and make a new power harness to the PNDB. It will also feed the glow plug relays on the main supply lug from the battery. I've got the cable ends and connectors/pins for the PNDB ordered up, just need to figure out the pin part numbers in the main cab connector and get a few of those ordered.

I'll be digging thru wiring diagrams here for the next couple hours so I can size the fuses (the ones included with the module are mostly too big) properly and plan out how to make the harness for it. Stay tuned.
interesting solution And MIDI fuses are available as low as 30 amps
Being a Frieghtliner part it probably isn't as pricey as some of the others.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Hopefully you don't junk the metal on those rusted out parts. With some minor welding you can get things to look like new with time. The only tool I wish I had was a plasma cutter.. cut off wheels are becoming a paint to cut free forms. Looks good! What kind of primer is that? 2K?
Old 11-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
interesting solution And MIDI fuses are available as low as 30 amps
Being a Frieghtliner part it probably isn't as pricey as some of the others.
Yeah, standard PNDB on most of your newer Freightliner M2 trucks, and less than $100, including my employee discount ...I also picked up a set of 1/0 battery cables with it; to properly install the 31 series battery I've had in it for years. They have the nice insulated ends with the rubber caps. They will look sharp and be a gauge thicker than the originals. I am going to cut them to proper length and solder ends on them to fit the starter and engine ground.

Now I need to find some striped wire to match the original wiring, and build a new harness to hook up to the PNDB.

Originally Posted by bannerd
Hopefully you don't junk the metal on those rusted out parts. With some minor welding you can get things to look like new with time. The only tool I wish I had was a plasma cutter.. cut off wheels are becoming a paint to cut free forms. Looks good! What kind of primer is that? 2K?
I saved what I could; for spare metal. Most of it went to the junk yard, just completely rusted out. I'd love to have a plasma cutter too, I'd be into all kinds of metal projects...one day.

Epoxy primer/sealer. Just enough to get it to the body shop and let my buddy work his magic.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 PM

Picked up my parts from powder coat; CAC pipes, battery tray, and most of the underhood small brackets are buried in that box, lots of assembly work to come this weekend.
1993 D250 Frame Off Build-pk1hp1o.jpg

Also had the core support done, they were able to match my original paint code almost perfectly.
1993 D250 Frame Off Build-immcgjz.jpg
Old 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM

Got a bit more done today:

[im1993 D250 Frame Off Build-yzjpvw8.jpg
1993 D250 Frame Off Build-piw1hzh.jpg

Pretty much down to knocking out that engine harness and PNDB before I can go further. Stay tuned.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:38 PM

Got a few more things done. Got the engine and front wiring harness refurbished, new PNDB module installed, and all the fusible links gone. Installed new grid heater solenoids. Still waiting on parts for the battery cables, and isolators to mount the PNDB permanently where it sits; hopefully next week sometime they will be here so I can finish putting everything together.

1993 D250 Frame Off Build-1b3cddg.jpg

Also, turbo, exhaust manifold, wheel wells, and a ton of other small things went in. Exhaust going on Monday.

1993 D250 Frame Off Build-w8wl2pa.jpg
1993 D250 Frame Off Build-8btswwl.jpg

Need to find some CAC hoses. Found 2 of mine almost worn completely thru.
NJTman (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cac?
Old 12-25-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Billut
Cac?
Charge air cooler.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:45 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
that is a piece of art my friend, very inspirational.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
that is a piece of art my friend, very inspirational.
Thank you, lots of time and hard work into this thing!

Went to put on the 4" Diamond Eye exhaust today. I must say, I'm not too happy with it, mostly because of the lack of hangers. The original muffler uses 4 hangers--2 on each end, whereas this one only uses 2...this exhaust system is way too heavy to rely on just two right at the muffler, plus the factory one at the engine will no longer fit; so I've ordered two more hangers to install at the muffler, and will have to make a bracket for the one up by the engine. I didnt like the way they wanted you to drill a hole in the frame for the rear hanger either; so I will be using the original one there too. Tried it their way, (without drilling for a new hanger); couldn't get it to fit right, and I dont need to be breaking exhaust or turbo flanges due to the lack of support. Hopefully the 2 additional hangers I am adding will allow everything to center up and fit correctly.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Went to put on the 4" Diamond Eye exhaust today. I must say, I'm not too happy with it, mostly because of the lack of hangers. The original muffler uses 4 hangers--.[/QUOTE]
Ya, But hard to beat for the price especially if you try to build a system, **** those 4" elbows are high $$. I used a lot of the diamond eye. I throw away all but two of the 'crunch' clamps, those two I make weight support clamps out of them and just barely tighten them. I go on ebay and buy 4" stainless band clamps to put the system together with and smear all the joints with neverseez. TERRIFIC job on the truck and the pics. Crossy.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by crossy
Ya, But hard to beat for the price especially if you try to build a system, **** those 4" elbows are high $$. I used a lot of the diamond eye. I throw away all but two of the 'crunch' clamps, those two I make weight support clamps out of them and just barely tighten them. I go on ebay and buy 4" stainless band clamps to put the system together with and smear all the joints with neverseez. TERRIFIC job on the truck and the pics. Crossy.
Thanks, on the exhaust, I bought 5 of the stainless band clamps from work, planned on throwing away the u-bolts. The piping seems to fit fine, but once you hang it "their way" it gets all out of whack. I'll give it another go when the other two hangers arrive. Might remove the hangers and just hold it up on jack stands to line everything up, snug it up, then mess with the hangers.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=. Might remove the hangers and just hold it up on jack stands to line everything up, snug it up, then mess with the hangers.[/QUOTE]

I put on one hanger loosely in front of the muffler(place) - ( which I usually replace with straight pipe) ,and then do exactly that with jackstands. I used to tack weld all of the slip joints once I got everything where I wanted it, but now I just run one small sheetmetal screw through the joints otherwise they kept slipping. Crossy
Daytrepper (12-28-2016)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 PM

Got her fired up today!

Still waiting on my new CAC hoses, and the parts to finish up the battery cables. Installed temporary ones so I could power her up. Started right up like it had never been apart.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:52 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
That's awesome. Sounds really good, too.

Quick Reply: 1993 D250 Frame Off Build