1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1993 cummins questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 cummins questions

New to this stuff and i have a few questions. Have a 93 cummins 2wd 5 speed. Been a great truck since ive owned it for the last 25k miles. Drive it daily. A couple issues or questions i have on it are

Transmission couple days ago started making loud grinding roaring noise. Lasted about 200 miles and blew a part last night. Only have 4th gear left. Assuming tranny is junk now? Thoughts on fixes?

About 50% of the time when shutting truck off, it wont shut off. Wants to try and keep running. When tranny broke i couldnt get it to shut off for nothing. Have replaced fuel shut off selenoid. Seemed better at the time but now same as before. Thoughts?

Lastly, didnt do it last winter but now this winter, truck wont start right up when its cold out. 20 degrees or colder. Cranks and hits but wont start. Several times. Even if plugged in. Do it a few times with foot on throttle partially and it will eventually fire and run but real shakey. Once engine runs for a couple minutes it smoothes out just fine. Thoughts?

Engine is all stock to my knowledge. I pull but not daily. Heaviest ive ever pulled would be a skid steer prolly. A few times a year. Ive heard people talk about pulling hard in 5th gear? Is that bad? I mean if it hits about 40mph i shift to 4th. I try not to lug it hard. Pretty common to pull 2-3k pounds a few times a week. Thoughts?

Thank you
Old 12-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 2,388 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Pull a PTO cover and inspect for damage. The Getrag might be rebuildable, if not source a replacement.
It sounds like it might have been run low on fluid. I over fill my getrag by an extra qt..

I bet your FSS is going out again, get a good one not a cheap version if you can find one.
Or install a pull cable shut off.

I bet your starting issue is air getting into your fuel system making hard to start. When the temp get lower, the rubber lines and seals don't seal as well, adding to air leak issues. As the temps. really drop the fuel also becomes thicker and harder to pull.
When it does start does it smoke white?
Air in the fuel system would not be helped by plugging in the motor and pre heating it.

Lugging your diesel in too high a gear is bad, 5th gear or any other gear, really. Pulling heavy in 5th can get you transmission temps up too high as well.
I like to add PTO cooler plates to my 5 speed Cummins trucks for extra fluid and cooling.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM

OHH..and welcome to DTR!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. How do i reply? Its only allowing a few words

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Pull a PTO cover and inspect for damage. The Getrag might be rebuildable, if not source a replacement.It sounds like it might have been run low on fluid. I over fill my getrag by an extra qt..

I bet your FSS is going out again, get a good one not a cheap version if you can find one.
Or install a pull cable shut off.

I bet your starting issue is air getting into your fuel system making hard to start. When the temp get lower, the rubber lines and seals don't seal as well, adding to air leak issues. As the temps. really drop the fuel also becomes thicker and harder to pull.
When it does start does it smoke white?
Air in the fuel system would not be helped by plugging in the motor and pre heating it.

Lugging your diesel in too high a gear is bad, 5th gear or any other gear, really. Pulling heavy in 5th can get you transmission temps up too high as well.
I like to add PTO cooler plates to my 5 speed Cummins trucks for extra fluid and cooling.

Maybe i can reply here. Tough to figure this stuff out. Not a techy guy. Hate to sound so uneducated but i am. Was my worse fear about buying a diesel was not knowin
Old 12-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Sorry, cant figure this out just yet.

My worse fear about buying a diesel was not knowing how to work on them. Put me under the hood of a carb truck engine and im pretty **** good. What or where is the PTO cover? Is the tranny rebuilable in the truck? Or does it have to be pulled? Read alot about swapping a nv4500 into it. Both good and bad feedback on all points. Maybe personal preference i guess. Thoughts?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Casey Gill

Maybe i can reply here. Tough to figure this stuff out. Not a techy guy. Hate to sound so uneducated but i am. Was my worse fear about buying a diesel was not knowin
No worries DTR is full of good info to help you out.

I would start with finding out how damaged your Getrag is as that is your biggest problem.

Then when you have some time research air leaks in the fuel system here in the 1st gen section.
Often culprits are loose or missing clamps on fuel lines, old rotten fuel lines, old O-rings on the fuel heater under the fuel filter or the fuel filter o ring itself.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 AM

If your transmission needs a rebuild, it will need to be pulled, which it almost certainly does.

The PTO plates are the two post card sized covers on either side of the transmission that are held on with 6 bolts.

Swapping in a NV-4500 will be more work and more cash.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
If your transmission needs a rebuild, it will need to be pulled, which it almost certainly does.

The PTO plates are the two post card sized covers on either side of the transmission that are held on with 6 bolts.

Swapping in a NV-4500 will be more work and more cash.
How much would i expect to spend on rebuilding what i have? Can it be beefed up at all? Which tranny is better for longterm maintence? Can i rebuild it myself? Or is there certain tools etc... that i may not have access to?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Casey Gill

How much would i expect to spend on rebuilding what i have? Can it be beefed up at all? Which tranny is better for longterm maintence? Can i rebuild it myself? Or is there certain tools etc... that i may not have access to?

At this point we don't know if ANYONE can rebuild it, the case might be damaged ETC.

Pull a PTO cover and check it out, or just pull the transmission as it almost certainly needs to come out and let us know what you find.

I have heard it is a pretty straight forward transmission to rebuild, but I am not a trans. rebuilder.

I like a well rebuild Getrag myself, but there are lots of opinions out there..
Old 12-05-2018, 06:57 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Casey, Oliver is giving you pretty sound advice on the tranny, get it out of the truck and to a reputable rebuilder in your area if you have one and let them access the damage. I would imagine that the rebuild will be anywhere from $1200 on up depending on what they find.
The fuel leaks you can do while the tranny is out, you are looking for leaks from the tank to the fuel filter so pressurize the tank with between 5 and 8 lbs of air and start looking for leaks, it doesn't take much of a leak to make them start hard and run rough
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
This is what I use to pressurize the tank, I took a old fuel cap apart an drilled the bottom and add a airchuck it works pretty well

The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (12-05-2018)