1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1992 W350 tailgate trim panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 W350 tailgate trim panel

I have a 1992 W350 I have been looking for a taikgate trim panel. Have seen several good looking trucks with nice tailgates and I dont know where they come from. I have a couple decent ones that need a little restoration but have been unable to find a source for that as well. Anyone know where to get a trim panel and the red stripe that is at the top of the trim panel as well. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
The part you are looking for that has the red stripe on it is called a Tailgate Appliqué.

I am also looking for one since mine was damaged has a small dent on the drivers side, and a small bullet hole in the center my Body Shop had to give me the cash back for it because they were unable to locate one.

If they were still available from the dealer it would cost you $735.00 for that trim piece.

I think to find one in the best condition you would have to get one from some older guy that took his of when he bought the truck and stowed it away in his garage when he bought his 5th wheel, I am sure there are still many of them hiding in peoples dusty garages..

We just need to find them

When I was growing up we traveled the entire USA several times, we had several new slide in campers and my parents went through about 5 or 6 new Chevy 1-ton trucks to put under it and I remember every time we got a new truck the first thing to come off was the shiny new tailgate that was stood up in the back corner of the garage, we could't even give them away so we finally took them to the dump.

I just think of all of the brand new tailgates that I could sell today.. 1962 Chevy tailgate NEW mint condition $500.00.

One place you guys need to look when you are searching for usually well maintained Cummins powered dodge pickups are mobile home parks (trailer park sounds so trashy), I always see nice tow rigs parked in the parking lots, sadly the owners are getting older and can no longer travel and must sell them off, or the owner has dies and the wife is selling it off.

This happened to a friend of mine, I completely restored his 1-ton Ford pickup 460-4V , C-6 with 4.10 gears to a pristine condition, he got leukemia and died so the wife puts it up for sale, several prospective buyers came and test drove it but they said they would have to think about it, several days later it was stolen right out of the driveway.

It was found on it's way down to Mexico, if I remember the transmission was blown up, it was just trashed, looks like they ran it as fast as it would go till it had blown up.

She let the insurance company have it.

Good Luck.

Jim
Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I think if you could find one in good condition other than maybe the red was comming off, i believe you could paint that part with some candy apple red and it would look sweet , or just maybe paint it to match your truck.

just something i have been thinking about.

Darwin
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 PM

I don't know if you recall but I posted about a year and a half ago about me finding the tailgate for my dads truck under the workbench in "visqueen". covered in sawdust I unwrapped it and my jaw dropped. Perfect condition taken off the truck 5 days after purchase.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I bought an NOS one from Carlisle last summer. It cost me $250. They are still out there. You just have to look. Every once and awhile you see them on Ebay. But the thought of shipping one scares the crap out of me. I have not had good luck!!! Good luck in your search.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you imagine trying to find one for a RAMCHARGER?

As far as the red plastic overlay for the top stripe, look around some of the old hobby shops, you'd be surprised the types of materials they keep around.

I distinctively remember a guy restoring an older MoPar musclecar that came across some "Gator Grain" vinyl top covering in one of these hobby stores.

Search me as to how that stuff even got there, it reportedly even had the MoPar part number inked into it.

As far as a place to restore the trim panels, there's a place in Oregon called "All Trim Plus (IIRC)" that may be able to restore these panels.

The brushed trim look is an exceedingly hard feature to duplicate on a used aluminum part, if it CAN be duplicated at all, much less after straightening a part.

Compounding the problem is the fact that aluminum stretches at the slightest little dent and waves result when the dent is removed.

Mark.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the input guys I'll keep searching keep the ideas coming i appreciate them all.