1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1992 Ramcharger 2wd sleeper build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
1992 Ramcharger 2wd sleeper build

After a long hiatus and recovery from divorce I am back at it. Facebook marketplace can be a good thing; a couple weeks ago I found this derelict 1992 Ramcharger that had been sitting for 3 yrs. in a back yard only 15 miles from my house. Well what do you do when you find something like this...... you find a 1992 D250 farm truck donor on craigslist of course!

Old 09-12-2018, 11:25 AM

So.......what started as a just pull it and put it in, quick and easy......evolved quickly

Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Nice to see you back.
I have been following this over on RCC.

Great to see you wrenching with the kids and having the shop space to work in after work.

I have been wondering are you keeping the 1/2 ton front end?
I know you are using an old Mopar 8 3/4, big bolt pattern 5 lug rear end.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks Mr. Foster! I posted in on RCC, but also wanted to move it here for S & G's, actually it was your projects post that encouraged it!
I am leaving this one all 1/2 ton, there really is no need for 3/4 ton stuff, if I need to haul I have a 3500.
This is just going to be a cool cruiser that hopefully will knock down 20+ mpg and scare a couple mustangs and camaros in the process. Although an occasional trip to Lowe's with the 18' utility trailer is not out of the question.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kansascrewcab76
Thanks Mr. Foster! I posted in on RCC, but also wanted to move it here for S & G's, actually it was your projects post that encouraged it!
I am leaving this one all 1/2 ton, there really is no need for 3/4 ton stuff as this is just going to be a cool cruiser that hopefully will knock down 20+ mpg, if I need to haul I have a 3500. Although an occasional trip to Lowe's with the 18' utility trailer is not out of the question.

Glad my build post added the right amount of fire to help start up a new build thread.

You should be able to get 20 MPG easy with a 2wd RC.
I have gotten as good as 21.4 MPG IIRC with my '89 4x4 5 speed RC with the added weight and height of W-250 suspension and Dana 60/70 axles.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Problem is I have this 97 2wd dually and the best I can muster is 17.5, while it is good considering it is a huge heavy truck, it is not practical. I love the sound and feel of driving these truck; so I wanted to build a more "commuter friendly" cruiser and this is my second RC, however I don't need a 4x4 on this go around, it only took 25 yrs. to realize that.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:00 PM

The VE pumped 12Vs are usually much better fuel sippers, unless you tune them for rolling coal mode.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
The VE pumped 12Vs are usually much better fuel sippers, unless you tune them for rolling coal mode.
No coal roal here, this truck is just getting 1/8 timing bump and rotated factory fuel pin and the 01 HX35 and the 4" exhaust, with only 8' of pipe should sound like this
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (09-12-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 03:27 PM

Motor swapped into RC frame

Also, have the draw straw installed and new 3/8" and 5/16" fuel lines ran

Also, installed the HX35 and ran the exhaust

Ready to re install
Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
I am leaving this one all 1/2 ton, there really is no need for 3/4 ton stuff, if I need to haul I have a 3500.
This is just going to be a cool cruiser that hopefully will knock down 20+ mpg and scare a couple mustangs and camaros in the process. Although an occasional trip to Lowe's with the 18' utility trailer is not out of the question.
Interesting. I'm going 3/4-ton on mine... it's literally plug & play, and I feel that heavy engine needs the stoutest version of the suspension. Plus, 8 lug keeps things matching with my other Dodges. Full 1410 shafts & yokes too.

Impressed by your progress! Mine is dragging butt due to work, and home repairs.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:18 AM

part of the reason for not putting 3/4 ton components is my parts truck has been wrecked hard enough in the front end that it bent the passenger upper and lower control arm. In addition, back when you could get a big block in one of these trucks they use the same components as what I'm using and when it comes down to it a full dressed 440 with air conditioning and all the stuff is pretty comparable to the weight of the Cummins. I mean if you think about it they have all the heavy-duty components not just for the weight of the Cummins but you got to look at what most people did with those trucks.....initially having those extra heavy-duty components is good to help support the Cummins but I think in the overall scheme of things these trucks have such heavy duty suspensions because of their end-use. Time will ultimately tell if it was a wise choice. In the twin build to mine located over on Cumminsforum, the gentleman claimed excellent ride quality and no ill effects save for some blown out shocks; for that reason I spec'd 1 ton shocks and HD front springs.
Lastly, I did debate the 3/4 components and if I had other trucks it would have swayed my verdict just as you stated.
Thanks for your input!
Old 09-14-2018, 02:26 AM

Turned my attention to the 46rh mainly valve body

Transgo gets the nod for the valve body upgrades
Also, mated the body back to the frame today with some new energy suspension body mounts

thrashingcows (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
part of the reason for not putting 3/4 ton components is my parts truck has been wrecked hard enough in the front end that it bent the passenger upper and lower control arm. ....I mean if you think about it they have all the heavy-duty components not just for the weight of the Cummins but you got to look at what most people did with those trucks.....initially having those extra heavy-duty components is good to help support the Cummins but I think in the overall scheme of things these trucks have such heavy duty suspensions because of their end-use.
Bent parts would sway my decision also.

I'm not especially impressed with either Dodge suspension, so I wanted the stronger one. Still, doesn't seem as beefy as what you find in any basic 8-lug GM square-body truck.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Looks like a fun project. With all those upgraded parts, I'm in the alternate mindset that the 1/2 ton suspension won't cut it over the long haul.

Please keep the thread updated, as I too am curious to see how it holds up.

Great job on the work so far. I'm green with envy of you guys with the diesel ramchargers.

Someday....I hope
nonrev (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Looks like a fun project. With all those upgraded parts, I'm in the alternate mindset that the 1/2 ton suspension won't cut it over the long haul.

Please keep the thread updated, as I too am curious to see how it holds up.

Great job on the work so far. I'm green with envy of you guys with the diesel ramchargers.

Someday....I hope
My only concerns are the ball joints and tie rods, but this is a cruiser truck that will see the majority of its cruising at speeds of 60+ on smooth roads, if I were bombing down dirt roads or driving in a large city with potholes galore, maybe then I would rethink it, but I live in a small rural community and commute daily on the highway. Time will tell and I am scientist that loves a good long range experiment, worst case scenario rebuild the front with new 3/4 arms. Thanks for the input!

Anyone else have a 1/2 ton swapped rig that cares to chime in?

Quick Reply: 1992 Ramcharger 2wd sleeper build