Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   1978 Diesel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/1978-diesel-39281/)

OddBall 02-15-2004 02:45 PM

1978 Diesel

I bought a 1978 D150 several months back. The truck came with the optional 4.0L 243ci Mitsubishi I-6 Diesel (6DR50). Not long after I got it the sucker the fuel control relay/module that adjusts the postion of the injector pump switch keeps deciding to cutoff the fuel. I took the module out, but haven't had any luck finding a replacement part. I was just wonderin if anyone had a good parts place to try or somewhere that could rebulid it. I have already tried both the dodge dealer and a mitsubishi dealer. The dodge dealer says the part is discontinued. Figures :rolleyes: I guess my last resort is rig up a manual cable to cut the sucker on and off. Any ideas?

Thanks
John

wannadiesel 02-15-2004 04:32 PM

Welcome to DTR. I've only seen pictures of a truck like yours once, and I think you're the only member who has one. Not sure how much help we can be. I think the cable is probably the easiest way to go. Or you could ditch the Mitsubishi and put in a Cummins. :D BTW, how's that old diesel run? Is it like driving a slant six or even worse? Have you been able to run it long enough to get any idea of the fuel economy?

OddBall 02-15-2004 04:46 PM

Thanks for the Welcome, wannadiesel. I haven't had much time to run her before she started acting up. But if I disconnect the control actuator and flip on the switch she runs well and cranks right up with a cycle or two of the glow plugs. It drives purty good, doesn't seem to be as sluggish like some on the get-go. I was purty impressed with it since it is an import engine, ;) As far as fuel economy the man I bought it from said he got some where around 30-35 mpg just piddling around the farm.

wannadiesel 02-15-2004 04:55 PM

Was the Mitsu dealer a car dealer or a Mitsubishu Fuso (medium duty) truck dealer? I think a truck dealer might be a good place to try before you give up and go with a cable. Sounds like it gets awesome mileage for a full size pickup!

OddBall 02-15-2004 04:58 PM

Car Dealer. Yeh I guess I might try the truck dealer next. :D

tmoore 02-15-2004 09:19 PM

If its any help Mitsubishu supplied diesel engines for FORD later New Holland tractors, I'm not sure what else. In some of the -20 series. I don't know but I am just wondering if your 6 cyl could be in some other peice of equipment or something. I would think maybe the mitsubishu med. truck dealer would be a much better start then the car dealer.

Good luck to you.

apache 02-15-2004 10:08 PM

Mitsu is also suppling Caterpillar with thier forklift engines, 4s and 6s. Also the early D50 series trucks with the diesel had a 4 cyl mitsu in it, maybe parts are interchangeable? Good luck.
Apache