1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Turn signal ground issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn signal ground issue

Hello everyone, This is my first thread of many on this website, time will tell....

I own a 93' 12V Dodge Ram extended cab 4x4 I am currently restoring and I have a few electrical issues that have baffled me. When I use my turn signal's the display light on my cluster is lit the entire time, the right side arrow only. the left side flashes but the right side just stays lit up with no pulse from the blinker relay flasher, my turn signals work correctly on the truck all 4 corners. this issue happens with the hazards or either side turn signal. Could it be a bad turn signal switch on the column?

My trailers don't have lights when I pull them I believe thats an issue for my trailer plug in the bed is not hooked up properly, I think the 4 pole plug works but my 7-pole is not hooked up under my rear bumper either, just has wire nuts with heat shrink wrap on the ends of the wires temporarily. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm about to start taking my wire looms apart and checking for melted wires and pulling my dash first.

Patience is the key.... I will learn how to work this website eventually
Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
You're looking too deep.

Do the simple stuff first. Our trucks wiring connections are problematic to say the least. There are quick disconnects at both rear frame rails above the spare tire area that get corroded. I've had the same issue you're having, and it actually turned out to be bad light sockets at the rear tail lamps. I cut those off, replaced the sockets and all was well again. A year or two later more with the right t/s and it was the quick disconnect above the passenger side frame rail above the spare tire. This time I had to bypass it, as the connector in the socket rotted away.

Use a test lamp or multimeter to see where the feed is passing over to ground, as again mine was in the rear tail lamps. Taking the dash apart first is way overkill to do first. Its not exposed to the events as the harness under the truck is.

I bet it's a lamp socket or disconnect or even a wire worn through grounding on a body panel or frame. Fix those half arsed connections at the trailer harness PROPERLY, and go from there. You have crossed connections between hot and ground somewhere, keeping that dash signal on, and the best way to find it is by systematically disconnection sections till it goes out. You've found your circuit.

Pull one each fuse and looking can help as well.
The following users liked this post:
Bob L (06-10-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your input, I have looked for this issue on the forum, I cannot find anything similar. I am learning how to be savvy with electrical but there are some gaps in my knowledge to say the least. I have purchased a few books and currently reading Dan Sullivans Fundamental Electrical Troubleshooting book. I have major electrical issues with this truck and the ground in the independent headlight system is just a minor obstacle I can't seem to tackle.

This is a picture of the issue on the cluster gauge, it lights up solid as soon as I turn my headlight switch on, so at night I used to have this wonderful green illumination thorough my cab.

I am going to buy new flasher relay and turn signal relay and install them in my fuse box, and then start diagnosing my factory multi function switch and headlight switch I recently installed, (I think and the problems started soon after that headlight switch install). Help would be greatly appreciated, I have been hung up on this issue for a few months now.
I want to move on to VSS issues I have , along with AC ground issue, im sure its all related to the fact my truck is running without a computer, has the ol' external voltage regulator trick on it and no computer plugged into the engine bay. runs great I wish it all made clear sense to me though a family friend fixed my truck when the computer melted, I was to young at the time, now I have the huge internal debate to keep it the way it is, or if I have to put my PCM back into the truck to get everything to work properly again...

current state of life right now sandblaster and powdercoating this winter !
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Have you ever heard of paralysis by analysis? Tman has given you sage advice. All of your problems, excluding the turn signal light, could well be caused by bad grounds.The light is on because of a short to ground, probably. The other issues could be rust, broken wire or a bad fusible link. You will learn more, quicker by asking questions here, and listening to the advice given. These guys know these trucks and there is very little that has not been covered around here. Welcome aboard, listen and learn and you will be giving sage advice by next week...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
Cdespain@ymail (06-26-2018), thrashingcows (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
The turn signals also need the front lower amber fender lights to work properly since they also flash during turn signal operation. If one of those little 194 bulbs, or socket is not working properly the turn signals will not work right.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I didn't see if you said you had a wiring diagram. If not you can get a complete FSM from Geno's in either paper or CD. https://www.genosgarage.com/

A good diagram will explain a lot of mysteries.

Edwin
nonrev (06-25-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I didn't see if you said you had a wiring diagram. If not you can get a complete FSM from Geno's in either paper or CD. https://www.genosgarage.com/

A good diagram will explain a lot of mysteries.

Edwin

I have a wiring diagram and chilton manual on the truck I have been unplugging harnesses trying to find the general area of the short but no luck.

Wouldn't a short to ground blow my fuse for the turn signals and that circuit ?

Could a ground issue like this more than likely be located in one a switch? Am I going to need a cable tracker with a receiver to find this short to ground?
Old 06-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cdespain@ymail
I have a wiring diagram and chilton manual on the truck I have been unplugging harnesses trying to find the general area of the short but no luck.

Wouldn't a short to ground blow my fuse for the turn signals and that circuit ?

Could a ground issue like this more than likely be located in one a switch? Am I going to need a cable tracker with a receiver to find this short to ground?
Did you see Tcow's post above about the front flashers?...Mark
Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
I had this problem on my '91. Turns out the bulb on the right front wasn't seated in the socket all the way....the two contacts on the bulb were touching both the wire ends at the same time.
Cdespain@ymail (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
I had this problem on my '91. Turns out the bulb on the right front wasn't seated in the socket all the way....the two contacts on the bulb were touching both the wire ends at the same time.
Sure enough..... Thank you for the reply ! it was starting to baffle me!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts
holy crap...I got one right!
nonrev (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue Goose
holy crap...I got one right!
We should probably give Tcows some credit too, way to go Brian...Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by maybe368:
Blue Goose (06-28-2018), thrashingcows (06-29-2018)