Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   1 ton build (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/1-ton-build-319732/)

THEBIGBULLY 10-24-2014 09:17 AM

1 ton build

Just bought a w350 2 wheel drive for a parts truck
$1500.00 and it runs like a top!!!!!
I want to turn my w250 4x4 into a dually and would like to know what I need to do and what parts I will need to buy to get up and running
I have been waiting 12 years for this project to happen
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

CoolGuyLevi 10-24-2014 09:44 AM

In 12 years you have't done any research on somthing as simple as swaping in the rear axle, front dually hubs, and bed?

THEBIGBULLY 10-24-2014 03:41 PM

nope
never thought I'd get my hands on one, pretty much have given up on the idea
if you lived my lifestyle you wouldn't have time either [laugh]

thrashingcows 10-24-2014 04:04 PM

Rear is easy....swap diffs and box...Done! Front could require a little more work. Not sure if the dually hubs off a 2wd will work on a 4wd front hub? But other then that I think it's a pretty basic swap.

Do some searching, and research in the archives here on the site. I'm sure it's been discussed more then once. ;)

bgilbert 10-24-2014 04:29 PM

trashingcows is right, the rear portion of the swap is easy assuming your current front axle ratio is the same as the d350's rear axle ratio. The dually bed will swap no problem. You just need to run down some front 4x4 dually hubs if you want that true dually look. Many run a single rear wheel tire/wheel in the front and dually wheels in the front. I personally want to poke my eyes out when I see that. The 2nd gen dually hubs/spacers won't work, neither will the 2wd 1st gen dually hubs.

u2slow 10-25-2014 03:57 AM

You can either get the dually D60 hubs, or run a spacer.

I don't really understand going dually on these older trucks. The axles can be maxed out with singles using modern tires, and its extra difficult to run bigger/taller tires on DRW wheels.

NJTman 10-25-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by u2slow (Post 3255833)

I don't really understand going dually on these older trucks. The axles can be maxed out with singles using modern tires, and its extra difficult to run bigger/taller tires on DRW wheels.

Dually's look really cool to some people...

mknittle 10-25-2014 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3255835)

I like a well built dually. But One would be a PITA to get around. the paking spaces are striped for Honda Civics.

mknittle 10-25-2014 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by u2slow (Post 3255833)

There are other advantages than weight. Like better traction and less ground pressure. And if one goes flat there is another to take its place.[laugh]

THEBIGBULLY 10-25-2014 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3255835)

BINGO!!!!

Some people restore old muscle cars.....

Me,

I think a Gen 1 Dually w a 4" lift is the bomb!!!!!

My 69' Camero so to speak [roll]

I will be using this truck to simply to tear around in

Thanks for the help!!!

mknittle 10-25-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULLY (Post 3255860)
BINGO!!!!

Some people restore old muscle cars.....

Me,

I think a Gen 1 Dually w a 4" lift is the bomb!!!!!

My 69' Camero so to speak [roll]

I will be using this truck to simply to tear around in

Thanks for the help!!!

:thumbsup:

NJTman 10-25-2014 07:23 PM

I love the way they look, but for me they're impractical. THe extra width would cause me to rip fenders off, as I skirt around people who make left turns, and can't seem to get out of the way fast enough. Scares the crapola out of my wife, but ..... well, no butts... I enjoy scaring the crap out of my wife. It's the least I can do....

Plowing with them can be very difficult in small areas, so again, wouldn't work for me. Maybe someday when I can afford another 1st gens that I only drive for fun..

mknittle 10-25-2014 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman (Post 3255909)
I love the way they look, but for me they're impractical. THe extra width would cause me to rip fenders off, as I skirt around people who make left turns, and can't seem to get out of the way fast enough. Scares the crapola out of my wife, but ..... well, no butts... I enjoy scaring the crap out of my wife. It's the least I can do....

Plowing with them can be very difficult in small areas, so again, wouldn't work for me. Maybe someday when I can afford another 1st gens that I only drive for fun..

:thumbsup:

j_martin 10-26-2014 03:40 PM

When dealing with Eastern Wyoming or Western ND crosswinds pulling a double, dual drivers make a hair raising encounter a Sunday afternoon drive.